Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Picked up my 60th Anniversary Std. Strat. WOW
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked up my 60th Anniversary Std. Strat. WOW

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Picked up my 60th Anniversary Std. Strat. WOW

Hey all, got to pick up finally my 60th Std. Strat last night. All I can say is wow. Although I am just a newbie, I can say that it feels and plays (just strings ringing, no amp yet) better than the others I have been fiddling around with and trying in stores, etc. I also liked a Highway One strat I tried at guitar center, it was a little darker and smokier sounding for some reason, but I kept coming back to this model. In the stores, the 60th just sort of felt right. This particular one just feels right in my hands. These pics are not of my actual guitar, but it looks like the attachments to this post.

I have a cable coming at the rec of Superswede for plugging into garageband and my mac, and am closing in on my amp. Hope to have it by Christmas. The guy that sold me this guitar will sell me his Marshall AVT50 for 350, but I am still kind of leaning toward the Vox AD50VT. Anyway, just was so excited I needed to share with the group.

Cheers,

Steve
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet looking axe there, Steve. If I was in the market for another Strat, it would definitely come down to the 60th Anniv. model you got and the Jimmie Vaughan model. Both look like fantastic values--a whole lot of guitar for the money. Some great values available in MIM Strats these days, for sure! And if the 60th "feels right" to you, that's the really important thing.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new guitar!!
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! I want one of those too!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

The 60th anniv. strat is a great guitar! I played a lot on it when I were looking for a new guitar. Congrats!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, congratulations. It looks like a great guitar.
    Does it have a vintage shaped neck (V shaped profile)?

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    Hey, congratulations. It looks like a great guitar.
    Does it have a vintage shaped neck (V shaped profile)?

-- Jim

Thanks Jim. Re: the neck, it is a modern C. I think the Jimmie Vaughn model that is similar (mexican made, tex mex pu (a little hotter bridge maybe)) has the vintage V neck.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; October 25th, 2006 at 11:11 AM. Reason: correct spelling
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new purchase, GAS is settling in, do not fight it, you can only treat the symptoms. It's great when you find one that just "fits" eh ?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice guitar.
    When I was in Guitar Center last week that was the only model American Strat that I played that felt it was one of those 'just right' guitars.

Congrats.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

beautiful guitar....congrats....gas sets in quickly around here!!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    When I was in Guitar Center last week that was the only model American Strat that I played that felt it was one of those 'just right' guitars.
    Spuds, there are a couple of 60th anniv. Strat models, and one of them is American, but I'm pretty sure this is the MIM model. Everything I've read about it says it's right up to the American Strat quality level, and a total steal at less than half the price. Just a great value!

The MIM's are the "blizzard pearl" silvery color and the American model only comes in 3-T sunburst.
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; October 25th, 2006 at 02:46 PM.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

there are some VERY good mim fenders out there. When i bought my mim tele i played ALOT of teles and really thought i would get an american one...but that agave blue mim tele kept calling my name and i had to get it....still one of the best playing guitars i have!!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman

The MIM's are the "blizzard pearl" silvery color and the American model only comes in 3-T sunburst.
    Isn't Mexico America? It was the Pearl finish and it was flawless. Great guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of those MIM Strats are right on par with the Americans. Too bad that they get dismissed offhand a lot.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    Some of those MIM Strats are right on par with the Americans. Too bad that they get dismissed offhand a lot.
    Some is the keyword here. I tried and examined many other Mexican Strats the other day and the 60th was way above all the others for some reason.
    Then again I've been playing a 2005 at the local music store that is very well done too.

I'm sure if I had access to a room full of 60th Strats I would find lemons there too...still, just set me up with the guitars and the room and I'd be happy to QC all of them. Whada job!

Post Thanks / Like

Some is the keyword here. I tried and examined many other Mexican Strats the other day and the 60th was way above all the others for some reason.
    Then again I've been playing a 2005 at the local music store that is very well done too.

I'm sure if I had access to a room full of 60th Strats I would find lemons there too...still, just set me up with the guitars and the room and I'd be happy to QC all of them. Whada job!

I agree with "some".

QC'ing guitars for a living......could you imagine that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Spud and Spanker: (sounds like a good name for a tavern)

When I was trying out guitars at GC and a couple other stores, I felt the MIM Bizzard Pearl like I got was better than a couple of other MIMs I picked up (I am sure there are really nice ones out there) and on par with the Highway One MIA strat, just a different tone. I tried a couple of the MIM 60ths and the one at GC did not seem quite as nice as the one in the Boise store, but still better than the other MIMs. Might have just been me. The one I got is at least as good as the one at the Boise store and as Spud says, seems flawless to me. I think Ensenada is taking pride in this model.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

What a coincidence, I was just coming to the forum to brag about my new 60th aniv. and here you are with your new one too , I will post some pictures of mine soon.
    I never liked Fender guitars (this is my first) but this one was really nice, its played so easy and I just love the all maple neck which I really wanted on my next guitar, also it has a really big steel (I think) block, although replacing strings is somewhat wierd since they actualy have to go through the block but tuning is so much easier then on my Ibanez with the Floyd Rose, it takes like 20 minutes to get that thing in tune and then I have to adjust the bridge cause it always ends up to low or too high, this one is like 2 minutes tuning and almost no adjustments needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cranium
    What a coincidence, I was just coming to the forum to brag about my new 60th aniv. and here you are with your new one too , I will post some pictures of mine soon.
    I never liked Fender guitars (this is my first) but this one was really nice, its played so easy and I just love the all maple neck which I really wanted on my next guitar, also it has a really big steel (I think) block, although replacing strings is somewhat wierd since they actualy have to go through the block but tuning is so much easier then on my Ibanez with the Floyd Rose, it takes like 20 minutes to get that thing in tune and then I have to adjust the bridge cause it always ends up to low or too high, this one is like 2 minutes tuning and almost no adjustments needed.

Hey . . . Congrats on yours as well!! As I have said, I love mine. That maple neck is really nice in this finish. Less cold appearing than the Clapton type finish.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast