Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a good first amp

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Pro Junior rocks too!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep they do. I got to play though one and next to one while I was playing through my c-30 a year or two ago. The Jr. was nice, but I thought I liked mine just as well and it was cheaper. It was more a subtle difference in flavor thing.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

The question was, "what's a good first amp", and I think all of the suggestions are viable ones. I think we all can agree that there are many good choices, perhaps too many. Since this person is already a guitar player, she may have some idea which type (modeling vs non-modeling) she may prefer (I won't get into the tube vs SS argument). I do maintain that for a hobbyist who doesn't want the complexity of an amp and multiple pedals, a modeling amp is more fun, lessening the probability of getting bored with it vs.a one-trick amp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I sure didn't mean to get into a discussion of what economical tube amph or whatever. My only point in this thread is that I was a newb a couple years back, considered the modelers, and for me, chose the tubes. My son on the other hand really enjoys his modeling amph. Two good ways to go depending on what she wants.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

If she want a modeler.....the Fender Mustang II or the Fender SCXD

If she wants tube - Fender Blues Jr. or Jet City RC2112 or Blackheart HW5
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would never argue AGAINST a good tube amp, but my 4-yr-old Vox AD30VT has been an awesome first amp for me. I am forever playing around with the amp models, though don't use the onboard affects much since I got the M13.

A buddy of mine who plays out professionally has borrowed it for gigs several times, and he LOVES this amp. Small as it is, it has plenty of power for their application, it he said it plays like a $500 amp (though I did replace the stock speaker with a nice Celestion, so that makes a difference).

Guitars: Takamine F-349, PRS Mira
    Pedals: Line 6 M13 Stompbox Modeler, Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Amp: VOX Valvetronix AD30VT, Ultrasound AG-50DS4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie
    I think we all can agree that there are many good choices, perhaps too many.
    Yes - absolutely - say what you will about vintage this and that, this is something of a golden age for general access to outstanding equipment.

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Pedals: Too many to list - 90% of them of my own making.

Visit me on the webz: pedalbuilder.com

Post Thanks / Like

Pedalbuilder, I think I missed you when joining, so welcome aboard. Glad to have your input.

I hear what you're saying about learning with clean tones and just focusing on skill, technique and the like. I guess my thought was that for someone who is a musician, playing out regularly, and is now adding electric to their "pallet", maybe being able to explore a wide range of tones without a needing lots of gear would be a benefit.

One thing I love about my Roland is the JC120 clean channel, which is just amazing with the 59 neck in my Idol. And as you say, lays bare my imperfections.

Where this isn't a 13 year old who's getting it as a gift to "see if it'll take", the notion of noodling with all the various tones until they're bored isn't a concern. I Imagine that she'll use it to learn electric technique, then to mimic tones for certain covers as needed. After a while, it's time for upgraded gear.

and your comment about "good gear cheap" is spot on.

Yeah, I'm still not 100% which is best. There's a proJr at my school, new, for 250.00. that alone would make my mind up..
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't mind me jumping in late and asking a bunch of questions...

Will she be needing effects? Is she tech savvy? What style of music will she be playing on the electric?

Put me in for a ss amph with onboard reverb for a first amp. Simplicity is key here, until the player learns what they like / dislike about amphs.

I would suggest the following:

Peavey Bandit
    Peavey Envoy
    Vox AC 15 VR
    Vox AC 30 VR
    Tech 21 Trademark 60 1x12

Easy to maintain, have reputations for good tone, and have good cleans for learning.

Of course all the other recommendations are great, too... I just went with "simple to operate" as the overriding factor.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I would always recommend not to go tube with the first amph.
    Most starters play a lot at home and it is important to have a good and diverse amp at home. Esepcially here in Europe, we have smaller houses and most people live in flats and you can get in severe trouble with a tube amp.

Full pleasure can be achieved with a Roland Cube, Vox AX 15/30 or a nice Line6 Spider.

A first real tube amph can be a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    Full pleasure can be achieved with a Roland Cube, Vox AX 15/30 or a nice Line6 Spider.
    Sounds sexy.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie
    Sounds sexy.......
    It's meant to be sounding sexy ;-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pedalbuilder
    One thing that a lot of people who are new to electric guitar seem to do is lean on their equipment. If you can get a great sound by pushing a button, you are less likely to learn about picking dynamics and using your guitar and amp volume and tone controls to get the sound you want.

Plug me into a clean amp, though, and all of my inadequacies as a player shone through. Once you have the skills though, you can make these digital toys sound fantastic!
    Excellent point you brought up. I remember all the unwanted noise my pick and fingers made when switching from a digital modelling amp to a class A tube amp. It taught me to clean up my pick and finger attack in my right hand.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Being the noob here I have to ask - why are folks here spelling amp with an h, like amph? I've never seen this before, but I'm seeing it a lot here.

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Post Thanks / Like

Being the noob here I have to ask - why are folks here spelling amp with an h, like amph? I've never seen this before, but I'm seeing it a lot here.
    Doesn't everybody spell it that way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I direct you to the source. Enjoy!
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=403
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I direct you to the source. Enjoy!
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=403

Nice! Thanks for the heads up - I think I know this guy. Actually, I know about 10 of this guy!

- Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's part of the noob initiation rituals to have to ask.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Dang, that Alex Hutchings is an amazing player!

So far as as amph recommendations go, I'll throw in a suggestion for a Mesa Triple rec and 4x12.

Nothing better than learning new chords at 150 dB.

And you can get screaming soloes..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast