Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
New Epiphone black/gold LP Custom

Thread: New Epiphone black/gold LP Custom

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Epiphone black/gold LP Custom

Got a new Epiphone LP Custom in black yesterday at a local store by me. Great guitar in all of the usual parameters. Tone and playability is great. Neck is substantial and tuners work great. The stock pickups will be staying in there for quite a while I would think. This baby has heart and soul played thru my HRDX, straight up. A littleBoss OD3 and some RV-7 reverb and it sounds mesmerizing. Very toneful guitar for those that like LP type guitars.

Very similar to my Agile AL-3100 bound, fully bound LP copy. I will have to do a sound comparison. The Custom came with a nice Epi hard shell LP case.

I have played it singularly for quite a few hours and fell asleep with it last night a few times, jammin along to some great tunes and woke up once with some Jackson Browne, "Everyman" playing - I had to dig right in from a deep sleep. This guitar chimes and roars. It sits right here next to the bed with my Fender FMT HH black cherry mahogany body with set nick telecaster, also an awesome guitar. I like my Special Edition FMT HH tele better than the blacktop HH telecaster or I probably would have gotten one. The Epiphone LP Custom is really and awesome guitar. With all the Squier Classic Vibes came out and were received with outstanding acclaim, I think the Epiphones fell out of the spotlight, costing twice as much in many cases as the Squiers.

I have been wanting a black LP type guitar and am glad I went for the Epiphone LP Custom with its classical appointments.

I got a new 35mm fast lens for my Nikon digital SLR that takes great and colorful pictures. I also got a SB-600 flash unit for it. I have been taking quite a few pictures and will take some guitar pictures tomorrow. I'm sure I will get some great ones of the LP Custom as well as my black Fender Black Top strat with maple fretboard. I'll post them shortly.

I like the way this LP sounds from the treble right up to the bass, well intonated and full of great tone and sustain. Truly a pleasure to play this guitar.

I will provide more feedback along with the pictures.

Don't know what factory it was made in because Epiphone changed their numbering scheme to more of a Gibson type one. No more letter prefixes denoting the factories.

Just thought I'd get this out there and fill in some of the details later.
    Last edited by Duffy; December 5th, 2010 at 10:05 PM.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds nice, but...
    pictures or it didn't happen!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Worthless without pics!

Is it the 3 pickup model? I always wondered if the middle hb is getting in the way when you are picking.

I love black LPs. Congratz my friend, enjoy your Epi, it's a wonderful guitar.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Tig & Jimi said it!

Congrats on your imaginary guitar.

I kid because I love.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Custom LP

Jimi, It's the twin HB model not the black beauty with three pups.

They have a black beauty at the same place and I like the Custom better. I can see where the middle pickup would get hit by the pick a lot, expecially by players that dig down deep and I have heard this complaint before. I really like the SG Custom though, with the three pickups.

Even though it is cloudy I will take some pictures today of the black custom and post them here. Maybe I'll be able to clean up the black Blacktop strat and post some pictures of it too.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Post Thanks / Like

That's really cool Duffy!

Congratulations!

Now that I've dialed in my Black Epi Standard to my liking, it's a very nice playing and sounding guitar. With the stock alnico V pickups it sounds thick and heavy like a Les Paul should.

I'm guessing that the woods and building process are somewhat more involved in producing a Les Paul than a Squier strat which leads to the higher prices.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Black LP Custom

This afternoon I played the Black LP Custom exclusively thru the voices on my Super Champ XD at very high volume with reverb and delay on the amp set thick with a quick slap back type delay. The combination sounded super great with no lack of bass and I have a Ragin' Cajun in my SCXD, very loud.

I played all of the lower numbered models starting at 1 and the overdrive and sound turned up real loud was outstanding all the way thru the 6 or 7 on the voice dial. Then I skipped across the higher voices and settled into 14 for some super overdriven sounds. Again, turned up super loud with reverb and delay at voice 14 the SCXD sounded super great, with lots of natural sounding overdrive.

It is getting late now so I won't have it screaming loud. There are some neighbors, but not close, that might be disturbed by really loud guitar playing after dark. Very old fashioned, conservative, type neighborhood.

There is no sound equivalent to cranking a good amp and a great guitar to give you that powerfully free feeling.

I took a bunch of pictures to post as well.

Black Epiphone LP Custom:

Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Did the dog come as an accessory to the guitar?

Nice, Duffy, I'll bet it plays great. Congrats!

Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

While I am not very high on black guitars because I would spend all my time cleaning off finger prints (OCD) Something you said struck a note with me.....

There is no sound equivalent to cranking a good amp and a great guitar to give you that powerfully free feeling.
    Even for those of us who cannot play very well at all....this holds true. All you have to do is hit one power chord that sounds great and it will bring you back time and time again.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy
    I believe your dog is saying,
    "If you're going to make me pose with this thing, you better get me a matching gold collar and leash, dude!"
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet lookin' axe, Duff!!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea Duff she really does look good. If you have the first letter of the serial, and the year you can probably find out where it was made, and when.
    Was it a new guitar, or a very slightly used one, by the look of it.
    The gold is still real clean and bright. As I mentioned I love my Elitist Custom, and I owned a Korean Custom Plus. That one is the only guitar I traded that I would kill to have back. I am currently looking for one and have a wanted add out for one. I had 3 replies and none were Customs. I wish people would read and comprehend. One reply was for a Special with a bolt on neck.
    Oh well I am jealous, congrats for sure.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great Duffy! Thanks for the pics.

I see you got a guard dog for her as well.

Good thinking!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice axe Duffy SO NOW WHERE ARE THE PICS OF THE BLACKTOP STRAT????

BTW, you've been on a buying spree for sure as of late good for you!!!
    Enjoy.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to argue with a black beauty LP. I love the way they look, but like Kazz I fear that I'd just go crazy with fingerprint removal. It probably would end up an unfinished LP in short order
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have several Black or dark colored guitars and what I found is that if I wash my hands before I play, it saves a lot of fingerprints and crud on the neck as well. The strings will last longer. It is amazing how much stuff collects on the hands.
    I usually have one of those micro fibre cloths handy and wipe it down after use.
    Every so often a shot of Gibson guitar polish and everything is pristine again.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Looks great Duffy! Thanks for the pics.

I see you got a guard dog for her as well.

Good thinking!
    Ha good one Brian. That's a great looking Les Paul I've always loved black ones especially customs with gold hardware. Congrats!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

really nice axe ... congrats!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Picture

Thanks. I thought the my glossy black dog Nigella would artistically compliment the glossy black guitar, bringing some life into the otherwise lifeless picture. I also like the way the new fast lens let me take that picture in low light without a flash, taking advantage of the softness of the ambient light.

The guitar is fun to play and sounds very good. Don't know if they are the regular Epi pickups, but this baby sounds real good. All the factors combined to make this guitar sound great.

I should camcord myself with my digital camcorder and learn how to post the videoclip to the fret. This would be the easiest way to get the audio onto the fret I would think, and my camcorder is a sony with stereo audio. It might work decently.

I will start another thread asking about that.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.