Thread: Playing full hollow electric through acoustic amp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Playing full hollow electric through acoustic amp

I picked up my Epi Joe Pass today after having a set of GFS Mean 90's installed. At the shop I test drove it and the sound was so awesome and perfect I was like "Ah, finally I found that clean glassy sound I was looking for".

Fast forward 30 minutes - I get home and plug into my Fender Mustang I amp...yea, not the same vibe. In fact not even close. I was like "WHAT?? What happened??"

So I called the shop and asked the guy what amp they had there and he said it was some solid state Fishman amp for acoustics - ~$700 on discount.

Now granted it's not fair to think that a $100 Mustang I amp is going to compete with a $700 amp. It's clear that my next purchase needs to be an amp.

Given that this example was an electric hollow body through an acoustic amp I wanted to see what the experience of other fretters is - anyone ever do this?

Maybe not necessary to go with an acoustic SS amp but maybe just a way better one than $100 Mustang amp...that will become my coffee table amp.
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

As has been said ad nauseum, the amp is the biggest part of the equation. AFAIK, acoustic amps are voiced specifically for acoustic guitars, which makes sense. My Cube 30X has an acoustic model, and I get a taste of how a true acoustic amp might sound with my dread and soundhole pickup.

BTW, with your own amp, how are you finding the Mean 90s?

Post Thanks / Like

They're great pickups - not too noisy but I've only had them on clean. Well worth the money and certainly with the right amp lol!
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Well my amp woes are solved - found a Roland cube 80X at the used gear store for $279. Played it and the guitar sounds grea through it. I'll have to get some samples up
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by progrmr
    Well my amp woes are solved - found a Roland cube 80X at the used gear store for $279. Played it and the guitar sounds grea through it. I'll have to get some samples up
    Congratulations Progrmr!

I'd bet that the Jazz Chorus model will match up very well with your guitar.