Thread: A Search For Good Blues Rhythm ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Search For Good Blues Rhythm ?

Hey Guys

I'm trying to sharpen up on my Blues Rhythm Chops at the moment, but find that on a lot of blues recordings there is very little rhythm guitar...a lot of the time being very basic or even left up to the bass and drums.

So I thought I'd throw it out to you guys for opinions. I'm primarly looking for slow/shuffel blues rhythms but I'll take a look at anything you think would be useful. I'm not looking for lessons, but more suggested listening, etc.
    Cheers
    Fretz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Robben Ford
    SRV
    Michael Landau
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

SRV is my personal favorite - his rhythms have this kind of pendulum feel to them. The only thing that bugs me about his recordings is that they are all in Eb! But he certainly had the tone and the blues under his fingers.
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fretz
    Hey Guys

I'm trying to sharpen up on my Blues Rhythm Chops at the moment, but find that on a lot of blues recordings there is very little rhythm guitar...a lot of the time being very basic or even left up to the bass and drums.

So I thought I'd throw it out to you guys for opinions. I'm primarly looking for slow/shuffel blues rhythms but I'll take a look at anything you think would be useful. I'm not looking for lessons, but more suggested listening, etc.
    Why not starting with one one of the underrated guitar player Jimmie Vaughan He has a great sense of rythmn and his work on the early T Birds albums is fantastic

Suggested songs to listen
    Part Time Lover : great ternary "waltz" shuffle
    One's too many: How to make a fantastic groove with a leslie sound
    Extra Jimmie's: Great shuffle and wonderful swing lines of Jimmie
    Tip on in: How to do a nice rythmn with vibrato sound

Another fantastic guitar player is Robert Cray anything from him is full of nice chops and licks intricated into a steady rythmn he is comping like no one in that style of soul blues and you may learn lots of different way of using chord patterns

A good listening for that is the double pack CD/DVD Cookin' in mobile
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Fretz , check out Lawrence Fritts backing tracks . The guy has rather graciously produced a stack of blues based backing tracks , I've found them invaluable to jam along to .
    In fact everyone click this link , its great that someone should spend the time to develop this resource , I thank you sir .

http://www.lawrencefritts.com/backingtracks.html

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tracks are gone...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for all the tips...much appreciated. I will spend some time this week listening to all your suggestions.

@Geraint Jones, looks like those tracks are gone, but I'll keep an eye as they may be back later in the week.
    Cheers
    Fretz

Post Thanks / Like

I guess this is the reason why they were pulled .The cheek of some people .

www.tdpri.com/forum/bad-dog-cafe/156809-rip-off-my-backing-tracks.html

try his youtube site, this was one of about 80 tracks I use virtually every day