Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Conventional wisdom for pedalboard setup?

Thread: Conventional wisdom for pedalboard setup?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Conventional wisdom for pedalboard setup?

Hi all,

So I recently received my Pedaltrain Jr that I ordered, but I'm a bit gunshy on hooking everything up. Part of that is 'cause I'm still waiting for some patch cables to come in, but I was wondering if you all could help me a bit with my setup.

First of all, which side of the velcro do you usually put on the board itself: the hook (rough) or loop (soft)? I think loop goes on the board and hook on the pedals, but does anyone have any input on that?

Also, what should be the order/setup of pedals? I have a tuner, wah, delay, distortion, and OD/distortion/modeling (Sansamp). Order-wise I'm thinking

tuner -> wah -> distortion -> sansamp -> delay

but I see a lot of pedalboards with the wah on the far right. Does this mean that it comes before the tuner, or is there just some funky wiring to correct this?

Anything else I should know? I'm pretty fired up to make my optimal setup finally portable -- it'll just take a little while longer to get everything worked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Well you're order for things seems about right for what I would do. That being said, you can do it however you want. Some people like the sound of overdriven repeats rather than repeats that are overdriven. Whatever you like is how you should set it up. Some people also put the tuner last to be able to silence any noise that could come from an engaged pedal.

As for wiring. Most people put the wah on the right side of the board because it is more natural to use with that foot. Wiring can be frequently mixed up and not necessarily in order of placement. It saves the most cable and provides the best chance for a clean signal to keep the cables short, but you can also put them wherever you want. If that pedal needs to be on the right side, then by all means put it over there.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I think my main debate now is how to wire the durn thing and where to place everything, but I guess I'll get it figured out eventually.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

You can put your tuner anywhere you please really. Some pedal tuners (mine included) create extra noise if placed first in the chain. I had to move mine to somewhere in the middle. Don't ask me why it did this. It was a common problem with the Planet Waves pedal tuner. Other than that your setup looks fine. Typically filters (wah/envelope) before compression before overdrive before distortion before modulation before delay before reverb. I sometimes switch my delay and modulation for experimental purposes.
    Patrick

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric: If you have an effects loop on your amp I would put the delay there.
    The rest of the order is up to you. What are you using for a power source?
    What ever you do use make sure it is plugged directly into the wall, not a power bar. One of the hardest things with a pedal board is to stop the noise and hum. Good patch cords are a must. The cheap ones will crackle when you hit the board or click a pedal. Lots of things to look for and be aware of.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Eric: If you have an effects loop on your amp I would put the delay there.
    The rest of the order is up to you. What are you using for a power source?
    What ever you do use make sure it is plugged directly into the wall, not a power bar. One of the hardest things with a pedal board is to stop the noise and hum. Good patch cords are a must. The cheap ones will crackle when you hit the board or click a pedal. Lots of things to look for and be aware of.
    I use the Sansamp a lot when going direct to FOH at church, so for now I'm trying to keep the delay in front so I don't have to rewire a lot, but I'll definitely bear that in mind if I don't like the tone.

Here's a picture of what I ended up with for now:

Not exactly the most efficient use of space, but that's all I need right now, so I'll reorganize if needed later. I'm pretty happy with it for now, though it hasn't been road tested yet.

BTW, my power source is a Godlyke Power All, basically the same as a 1Spot. I occasionally get some noise from my Sansamp, so I might do the direct-plug thing like you say to see if that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

May not help too too much, but I've always found this website useful: http://pedalboardplanner.com/
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa