Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Merry Christmas to me.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merry Christmas to me....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool! Those little dings won't hurt it. And I am sure it appreciates finding its way to a good home. Sometimes the second hand dogs you adopt from the pound become the best dogs!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!

She's got a few dings, but I'll bet you'll have her looking good as new in no time!

There is something about Strats that they attract dings. Mine has a few after 4 years, and I don't know how they got there. Maybe kids playing around, but who knows? My old Ibanez has a few spots where the paint has chipped off in a couple of spots, and I babied the thing, keeping it in it's case. That one I'll blame on the soft basswood body.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Coupla more pics that I took while "under the hood", inspecting the controls & wiring. I mentioned this in another thread--these Squier CV's are really nicely assembled. The cavity is neatly coated with shielding paint, there is shielding foil on the underside of the P/G above the pickups and controls, and the wiring is very expertly done. I can tell you that I've been inside MUCH more expensive guitars that didn't have nearly this degree of workmanship and attention to detail.

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Noice ! Great score !
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. That's awfully nice shielding. My '51 certainly isn't shielded like that. OK, it's not shielded at all.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Besides fretboard and pickups, what other differences are there between the 50s and 60s models?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Those of you into relicing may find this kind of stuff cool, but a fussbudget like me definitely does not.
    Now 'scuse me, while I kiss the sky....
    Kiss this guy??? I mean...yeah, that joke probably doesn't work with text...

Thanks for introducing me to a new word: fussbudget. I like that one -- I'll try to use it in the near future.

Oh, and congratulations on the new axe!
    Last edited by Eric; December 23rd, 2010 at 08:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Vood....if you decide to replace that rusty hardware let me know....I might be interested in buying it from you for my tele project :-)
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    Besides fretboard and pickups, what other differences are there between the 50s and 60s models?
    AFAIK, that's pretty much it--maple fretboard and alnico 3 p'ups in the '50s and rosewood/alnico 5 for the '60s. And the color choices are different, of course. Oh, one more aesthetic difference--single ply P/G on the '50s, 3-ply on the '60s.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Happy New Guitar Day, DVM!
    I like that CV 60's. Nice to see it has a good home now.

I'm a real sucker for well crafted, incredible sounding burst guitars that don't empty bank accounts or threaten marriages.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

That brings up an interesting observation. I wonder why they called the Alnico 5s STA3 and the Alnico 3s STA5. We went through this before and it caused a lot of confusion. You can definitely hear the difference with the A3s.
    Nice to see such detailed shielding under the hood. It really does show how these guitars are excellent bang for the buck.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    That brings up an interesting observation. I wonder why they called the Alnico 5s STA3 and the Alnico 3s STA5. We went through this before and it caused a lot of confusion.
    Yeah, I've seen this raised a couple of times. Interestingly, it seems to tie in with the "Tonerider theory". Here's a quote from a post in the Squier-talk.com forum:

"If you check up the Tonerider codes for their equivalent sets, you see a similar numbering system which seems too much of a coincidence, i.e:
    CV50s Alnico 3 pickups (Fender-STA5) = Tonerider "Surfari" Set (TRS5)
    CV60s Alnico 5 pickups (Fender-STA3) = Tonerider "Classic Blues" set (TRS3)"
    It surely does seem like more than a coincidence. Now why Tonerider picked that seemingly conflicting numbering I would have no idea....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12