Thread: Using Snake XLR's for main outs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using Snake XLR's for main outs

I got the church's audio contractors to give us a dedicated input for the band's main out into the house system. Sadly, I requested a stereo in (L & R) but got a single XLR. NP, bought a dual female to single male 'Y' and ran it into the system. That was before we got the audio snake. A sweet 24 X 4 monster of cable that I have to truck (along with everything else) every Sunday. No problem, church work is voluntary and sacrificial.

Would use the returns but prefer XLR over 1/4". If I use the 1/4" I'll have to use a 1/4" to XLR adapter into the house XLR.

The question is:

1. Can I use an unused XLR from the fan end of the snake, then take an out from the snake head into the church mains?

Mixer>'Y'>snake channel 24>#24 from snake head to church mains?

2. Will there be any significant difference in audio quality against running it direct from the board?

3. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Yup I do stuff like that all the time. You might want to arm yourself with a few adaptors to do turn arounds with.
    For example I will use one of my XLRs to send a DMX signal back through or if I want to link my subs ( self powered) I will use a turn around to send the signal back through the snake.
    The snake is just a bundle of wires, don't over think it,just use the right adaptor to get where your going in either direction.
    Remember to never send a amp output or something like that through it,mainly balanced connections!!! NO POWER!!!!!!
    Oh yeah "Y" connections suck.
    I try to use only one channel of snake per signal,be it XLR ,TRS. I have adaptors for most situations as well as DI's and Balancing tfmr's.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha !! thanks a heap Big JD!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan