Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you stop the urge to buy new guitars

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you stop the urge to buy new guitars

I have a new guitar for about a week, then I find myself looking at other guitars and wanting to buy!

It's like GAS out of control - no good reason, everything I have is freakin' great. Why the desire to buy more? I know what will happen - I'll have it for a week, and want to buy something else...I ain't rich so that can't continue lol!

How do you all avoid this urge? Or do you just buy anything you want??
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

I get that way not only with guitars but with building computers. I don't need no more stinking computers!
    However, if you have a wife (sorry about this ladies in attendance) who buys too many shoes and purses, a sure cure (warning, rationalization ahead) is to match each shoe color with a guitar. That way it goes with the wife's purse and shoes.
    I just look at my paycheck and the fact that I have to pay for most of my kids college and it's usually enough to stop me. Or I tell myself to practice more with what I have an earn it.
    I saved a good chunk of change not eating out. My wife is a great cook and loves to cook so why spend the $$$ on eating out. I also try to drink a little less but the Beerman can't drink that water beer. He needs ream-man beer and the money is well worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

So I googled "how to stop buying guitars" and found this link to Robert's web site!! lol

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/blog/pr...ing-guitar.php
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

I have this same issue, but I've kept it in check reasonably well as of late. I think a helpful thing for me is to get excited, not pull the trigger, and see if it's still there a week later.

It also helps quite a bit to be honest with my wife and tell her what I'm interested in. She'll usually ask if it's something I've been looking at for a long time, and whether it's a good deal, what need it would fill, etc. She knows I need support in my decision-making, so she'll try to walk through the process with me.

But probably the most useful thing is that I keep a hobby account where I give myself a weekly allowance of money. That way, what I can spend on gear is set. If I want something else, I'll sell something to free up money for it if I don't have enough. I can always dip into the main funds, but I know that's bad and I feel guilty for doing it.

I have fairly nice gear with which I'm happy, so I don't usually want to sell off my existing stuff. So I just sit with what I have.

Man, that whole thing didn't seem very cohesive, but those are the tactics I employ. They seem to work reasonably well for now. Good luck with taming the churn cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bwaaaaa-Haaaaa-haaa! You came here to get answers?

That's like going to a crack house asking how to kick the habit!

// OK, my personal answer is simple... Marry a woman who will never get it about GAS, yet love and respect her enough to not empty the savings account to go buy new toys. It is a bitter-sweet kinda' thing.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Me I trade and trade and trade. And 90% of my trades are done with the same core group of guys. Which is great, I bought a Squier Jagmaster some 5-6 years ago. I traded it to my buddy who traded it to another buddy and it was on, that guitar was passed around like a bottle of Jack on a Van Halen tour bus.

A quick run down since basically August.

Bought Washburn V
    Traded Washburn for Epiphone LP

Bought Schecter Daimen 6(a 2nd model)
    Traded for Hamer SATP90
    Traded Hamer for Epiphone Dot Stuidio

Bought Dean Deceiver X
    Traded Dean for Monster Cables and $$$$

Bought Fender Champion 600 amp

Bought Randal Solid State Half Stack
    Traded for Gretch Acoustic and some pedals
    Traded Gretch for GK half stak and 5 string Peavey bass

Bought cheap resonator guitar and Dean Hillsboro.

Great thing is all but 2 guitars are still obtainable through my circle of friends.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an account set aside for "splurges" and if there's no money, I don't buy. I can sell or trade stuff until the account gets built back up. I suppose that if there's an "emergency," like a Gretch for $350, then I'll make an exception and use the house budget until I can pay it back. But then I have to listen to the wife (who is not a shopper or a collector so I get no sympathy there) until it's paid back.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

As a newbie, I sometimes find that behavior trait disturbing, yet (almost) fall into the same pattern. Somehow I expect a guitar owner to cherish the thing for a little while...

The era of cheap and serviceable guitars may be to blame, in contrast with the old days' need to save a good amount of hard-earned money to put down on a "special" treat?

Three styles of pick-ups, etc.. Oops I forgot the thing about amphs... and the pedals.

Hey, I have been drinking... it's my birthday!
    And where did I spend money today: hardware at Lowes, and (important) vitamin supplements at the fancy market...sigh. To be honest I did stop by Daddys Junk Music and gawked. I saw a nice used Vox VT30...
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

For me it was finally finding a guitar that I don't feel the need to mod to make it serviceable. Yeah, I did add a treble bleed cap and a trem stop to my Jackson, but I don't think those things really count. My Charvel just needed a lot of work and I really didn't like the neck. My Fender played great, but I really missed a neck pickup. My Floyd was nice (and taught me that I really like FR-style bridges) but I was concerned that I might not be able to keep getting the special strings for the Speedloader system.

Most every time I think about another guitar I think about minor (or not-so-minor) things I'd do to it. If I sit back and think about it, I'd be trying to make it more like my Jackson. What's the point if I've already got one? The only thing I might like is a hardtail Rhoads or Dinky so that I can mess around with some different tunings. That's not very pressing, though.

Actually, since I got my Jet City, I really haven't had amph or guitar GAS--at least nothing that made me think seriously about whipping out ye olde credit card.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=poodlesrule]Hey, I have been drinking... it's my birthday!
    QUOTE]

and

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule
    And where did I spend money today: hardware at Lowes, and (important) vitamin supplements at the fancy market...sigh. To be honest I did stop by Daddys Junk Music and gawked. I saw a nice used Vox VT30...
    Happy Birthday!! I hope you don't save drinking just for special occasions. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=NWBasser]
    Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule
    QUOTE]

and

Happy bday
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

I have always had gas for one thing or another in my life depending on what I was into at the time.

Bass Guitars and gear. At one point in the 80's I had 5 Basses I bought for over 3k each.

Car- foreign and domestic I had plenty.

Home Audio gear---- I still have gas in this area all the time.
    Martin Logan, Krell, Macintosh etc etc installed systems for many people. My Martin Logan CLS and Prodigy speakers still sound fantastic pumping through my Krell and Lexicon gear. My B&W gear through my Rotel gear are a match made in heaven. (Rotel the best bang for your buck in high end audio gear).

Women when I was single and on the road.

GAS LIVES FOREVER IT NEVER DIES IT JUST MOVES ONTO NEW TOYS....
    CD'S, DVD'S, AUDIO GEAR, CARS, BOATS, MOTORCYCLES it is genetic to MALE DNA!!!!

My mom used to always say "BOY'S LOVE FOR TOYS LAST UNTIL THE DAY THEY DIE. THEY JUST GET MORE COSTLY AS THEY AGE AND ALMOST MATURE!!!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

You know.....

...that something I've never thought about. Hmmmm.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I have gas I take Extra Strength Tums.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

The best way to stop the urge to buy a guitar is simple,Buy a guitar and then there is no more urge to buy one,well at least that one,Oh! but look at that one and over there LOOK at THAT ONE!!!NO LOOK OVER THERE AT THAT ONE WOW!There everwhere,tell 'em to stop it leave me alone,No OH! Look at that one.See no more urge.Simple!! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Meditation, Yoga, lots of talking to a shrink, but still these are no guearantees...

Man, I just stopped buying guitars. My 76 Strast was the last one I bought and currently I think about selling some guitars. Sometimes it's wise to take a look behind the curtain and to see that there's more than playing guitar in life ;-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    You know.....

...that something I've never thought about. Hmmmm.
    My first thought was don't ask Spudman!
    I agree with what Maxi said. I have done that all my life. Camera, Knives, Diecast cars, Muscle cars, Tools. I think it is imprinted in the Male DNA.
    That is what I tell my wife anyway.
    I have a lot of guitars and I swore I would not buy any more gear, and I managed to sneak in a Super Champ XD, and I am currently negotiating a trade for a Gibson Les Paul. (exactly like one I had and traded).
    I find like in buying cars, the only way to defeat the Gas is to wait a couple of days before pulling the trigger. It gives time for reality to set in.
    The only problem I have now is parting with guitars or amps.
    The other thing I know is that Guitar makers know this. They are constantly coming up with the same product but slightly different. Colors, pickups, hardware. The rationale is it will cost me X to change my guitar, so why not just buy a new one. That one got me 9 Strats.
    The only thing I find is that now that I know all this I can curb the Gas!
    Yea Right!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

'It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got'
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast