Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How do you stop the urge to buy new guitars - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you stop the urge to buy new guitars

Post Thanks / Like

Must say, I've never gone from buying a new guitar to wanting another in a week. I don't have quite that kind of CAGAS (Chronically Accelerated GAS). Still, when I feel I'm gassing before I should, I usually ease the pressure with an amp or recording gear/software.

But probably the biggest curb to guitar gas for me has been to start my own guitar co. I have so many guitars, guitar parts, prototypes etc. lying around that the thought of more guitars taking up more space isn't to0 attractive to me. Guess I'm not cut out to follow in Spudman's footsteps after all. What is it now 50+?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    You know.....
    ...that something I've never thought about. Hmmmm.
    Good thing these guys aren't into bikes, or even worse, racing them.
    Guitars and amphs are cheap compared to carbon fiber and titanium bikes, wheels, etc. Unlike guitars (except for Gibson's mighty Firebird X!), bikes actually get better every year or two, or at least that's what the marketing tells us.

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Damn Tig! Those are sweet.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I find telling my wife of my intentions prior to heading out the door to buy something helps curb my GAS...
    --> Her <-- Me
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Running out of available funds always works for me.

The one thing I won't do is buy a guitar I can't pay for without a doable sale of something I can part with, or having the full cash on hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Buy cheap *** ones and take them apart and put them back together. I gotta take some pics of the SX Tele I got from Eric.

It's been fret leveled, gotten some locking tuners, and been retrofitted with a P-90 in the neck and SC-sized bucker in the bridge.

It's like having a whole 'nother guitar!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    Buy cheap *** ones and take them apart and put them back together. I gotta take some pics of the SX Tele I got from Eric.
    Yeah you do -- I want to see this thing now!
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Degassing

I have been much more selective in what guitars and amps I buy and have been concentrating on substantially upgrading my collection, instead of buying a lot of less expensive guitars. My latest purchase, an Epiphone LP Custom in black is one of my best playing and sounding and definitely looking guitars. I play it thru a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe mostly. I might get a SuperSonic someday, as one near me is available new for about half price in blonde.

So being more selective and concentrating on upgrading my collection of guitars and amps has helped a lot. I'm finding that with the nicer stuff I'm more satisfied and don't feel the need to get a lot of new stuff except certain things that I'm focusing on.

My latest amp is an Egnater Tweaker head. An outstanding amp thru my cabs.

Another thing I have been doing is upgrading the pickups and electronics in some of my favorite less high quality guitars with things like Seymour Duncan pickups and Fender Custom Shop pickups. These are relatively inexpensive and can make a very big improvement in the sound and looks of your favorite instruments. Plus you learn a lot when you start hot rodding your guitars.

Nice tube amps are definitely nice and having at least one would be very satisfying. The sound is, in my experience, way improved over the solid state amps. My Hot Rod Deluxe and LP Custom combination produces a sound that blooms when you strike a note, and it has very satisfying natural breakup on the clean channel. Amps like that require a concentrated selection process and a consideral sum, but the payoff is very rewarding when you get something good, within your means.

I also buy a lot of other things besides guitars, that I have been wanting. Like a 46 inch Sony TV and a PS3 and games, power and hand tools.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

So in other words there is no curbing urges for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy
    I have been much more selective in what guitars and amps I buy and have been concentrating on substantially upgrading my collection, instead of buying a lot of less expensive guitars. My latest purchase, an Epiphone LP Custom in black is one of my best playing and sounding and definitely looking guitars. I play it thru a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe mostly. I might get a SuperSonic someday, as one near me is available new for about half price in blonde.

So being more selective and concentrating on upgrading my collection of guitars and amps has helped a lot. I'm finding that with the nicer stuff I'm more satisfied and don't feel the need to get a lot of new stuff except certain things that I'm focusing on.

My latest amp is an Egnater Tweaker head. An outstanding amp thru my cabs.

Another thing I have been doing is upgrading the pickups and electronics in some of my favorite less high quality guitars with things like Seymour Duncan pickups and Fender Custom Shop pickups. These are relatively inexpensive and can make a very big improvement in the sound and looks of your favorite instruments. Plus you learn a lot when you start hot rodding your guitars.

Nice tube amps are definitely nice and having at least one would be very satisfying. The sound is, in my experience, way improved over the solid state amps. My Hot Rod Deluxe and LP Custom combination produces a sound that blooms when you strike a note, and it has very satisfying natural breakup on the clean channel. Amps like that require a concentrated selection process and a consideral sum, but the payoff is very rewarding when you get something good, within your means.

I also buy a lot of other things besides guitars, that I have been wanting. Like a 46 inch Sony TV and a PS3 and games, power and hand tools.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I just spent my "extra" cash on a fender blues junior. Man that's a great sounding amp. That should keep me away from guitars for a couple weeks...I hope!
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas

Spud, I have the urges to upgrade my equipment and get other types of things, but I am trying to be more selective in my purchases, and I try to get the best quality I can afford. I have significantly upgraded my equipment recently.

So I guess I don't so much succumb to my urges as I plan well thought out upgrade purchases, and I negotiate, often, outstanding deals.

When I get the urge to buy something real expensive, I usually curb myself and find something much more reasonable and negotiate the best deal.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think we can "stop the urge" to buy new gear. We all know that GAS never sleeps! I feel if we go out and buy a bunch of stuff too rapidly, we may not spend enough "one on one" time to saver the whole experience, versus if we buy something, get to know it, focusing on just that one thing at a time.

I'm no saint in the GAS department, but have to struggle with my inner belief that to be happy in life, ya' gotta' be happy in your own skin;
    AKA: Be happy with what ya' got instead of looking at what ya' ain't got.

(then again, I could be nuts!)
    Last edited by Tig; December 17th, 2010 at 09:37 AM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I don't think we can "stop the urge" to buy new gear. We all know that GAS never sleeps! I feel if we go out and buy a bunch of stuff too rapidly, we may not spend enough "one on one" time to saver the whole experience, versus if we buy something, get to know it, focusing on just that one thing at a time.

I'm no saint in the GAS department, but have to struggle with my inner belief that to be happy in life, ya' gotta' be happy in your own skin;
    AKA: Be happy with what ya' got instead of looking at what ya ain't got.

(then again, I could be nuts!)
    Yeah, a lot of this is quite true. I've found back in the CD days that if I got more than 1 or 2 CDs at a time, I would focus on and enjoy all of them less than if I only got a couple.

And yeah, the happy-in-your-own-skin thing is right on, but pretty hard to do.
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas

Tig stated, quote: Be happy with what ya' got instead of looking at what ya ain't got. unquote.

This is very true. A lot of our favorite guitarists didn't have hardly anything when they started out, but they made something out of it. Greatness, it has been said, often comes out of adversity. Real hard times have been known to produce some very mentionable achievements.

A lot of us are not exactly what you would call "bad off", far from it. Also some of us are struggling pretty hard, especially these days.

My personal experience has been that recently I lost almost everything I had, as a consequence of the type of divorce my lawyer was able to negotiate according to Pennsylvania law. I lost everything from my entire life that I had accumulated, except the stuff that I had gotten out of my marital property before I left there. I got most of my musical gear. I lost untold amounts of really good stuff, including power tools and a lot of expensive stuff and things from my childhood on that had a lot of value to only me. I got to keep what I had in my possession and had to forfiet everything left at the house, including the house. I did not want the house. I'm not crying about it. I made out super excellently in the terms of my divorce and kept some of my major possessions and all of my financial assets and income, completely unencumbered. One lucky dude.

But I have had to turn the page, and be happy with what I have got and not look back at what I no longer have.

I have been much happier being unencumbered with all the things I had accumulated and lost, surprisingly.

So I looked at what I have and said to myself, "I'm happy with this". I didn't dwell upon my loss, including the things that around this same time were stolen from me by a relative I took in and tried to help out. I couldn't look back on the thousands of dollars worth of stuff I lost and tear myself up, it would be futile and unproductive. I moved on. Turned the page.

I have had to spend a lot of money to replace almost all of my power and hand tools, and a lot of other of my "main" possessions. I got sometimes less high quality things out of necessity and some things I got were way nicer. I lost all of my camera gear including several Nikon camera bodies and a bunch of great lenses and a great powerful flash unit, for example. I moved forward and bought a much nicer Nikon DSLR and three lenses so far and a super great flash unit.

Yes, I have urges to get new stuff to replace the stuff that I lost, like all my skiing gear. I used to be a ski instructor.

I know what it is to not have things and be happy with what I have. I have been very fortunate and have found a wonderful person to be with in my fiance Charity. She is a very beautiful person. Supportive, etc. Everything my ex wife wasn't. Charity appreciates my love of music and encourages me to acquire higher quality gear in my purchases. So when gas attacks I try to step back and make sure I'm upgrading my collection, not just adding more of the same stuff.

I have been fortunate to get some great new stuff, including guitars. Gassing for stuff is a reality and of course it has to be curbed. There is nothing wrong with nice new stuff. Fortunately I am able to afford to replace stuff and acquire new stuff, including guitars, as I move forward.

I'm certainly not ashamed of that and haven't felt a lot of buyer's remorse.

When you lose practically everything, you don't mind it when you can get some new nice stuff, and not have to be satisfied with some junk. I've had to do both recently, but most recently my financial situation has greatly improved.

I'll tell you what, there's nothing wrong with being financially secure and comfortable, and having a decent amount of disposable income.

So when gas attacks and you have the urge to buy a nice guitar, it's your business , in my opinion, how you handle it. I'm lucky, I can indulge myself. I can also smile and be happy with what I have. But I want to move forward and try to get some new things. Not that I will ever replace everything I have lost. I have walked across the coals. You can't go back.

Personally, I don't indulge in my gas by spending money I don't have.

Like Tig says, you sometimes have to be happy with what you have, and remember that a lot of our guitar heros didn't have real good or real nice stuff when they started out, but they made very satisfying and self actualizing music with the stuff they had.

If you have Direct TV, Buddy Guy just had a GC special on cfhannel 101 every day and he talks about when he was a kid in the Mississippi Delta, South of Memphis, and was actually dirt poor, living near the cotton fields. He had some real funky seminal gear, but he stuck to his aspirations, despite the adversities and became one of the greatest living guitar players and now has an awesome collection of incredible guitars.

So if you have gas you probably have aspiration. Gas isn't a bad thing, keep it within your means and within the perspective of your bigger picture.

There is nothing wrong with having money and nice things. But money never bought you happiness; and I never heard of poverty buying it either.

So, in my opinion, gas is not a bad thing and it's probably mostly a good thing. Just make sure you have the money to support it, or get an education or a job that leads to you having increased purchasing power. In the meantime be happy with what you have.

For many many years all I had was a very funky, junky acoustic guitar that was either free or cost about five dollars. I had a lot of fun with that guitar but always enjoyed playing really fine instruments, just didn't have the money or the plan to get one.

Today I can afford to buy nicer guitars.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My personal experience has been that recently I lost almost everything I had, as a consequence of the type of divorce my lawyer was able to negotiate according to Pennsylvania law. I lost everything from my entire life that I had accumulated, except the stuff that I had gotten out of my marital property before I left there.
    I'll never understand how a divorce judge can grant such atrocious, one sided divorce decrees. Some state's laws are barbaric and unjust.

One lucky dude.
    I understand how great it is to be free from the past and the wonderful difference being with a positive, caring soul mate. I'm also a lucky dude!

Personally, I don't indulge in my gas by spending money I don't have.

I'm also a bit old fashioned when it comes to spending. Cash and carry, baby!

There is nothing wrong with having money and nice things. But money never bought you happiness; and I never heard of poverty buying it either.

So, in my opinion, gas is not a bad thing and it's probably mostly a good thing.

In the meantime be happy with what you have.

Ah, so wise you are with The GAS, young Skywalker!
    Nice to see you getting your life back, keeping things positive and in perspective, Duffy.

Post Thanks / Like

Duffy I completely understand. When I was with my son's mom I sacrificed everything mostly because I knew it was a relationship on cracked ice. I gave up on playing music, sold my firearm collection during a time I was taking steps/class's to be a gunsmith and all kinds of stuff. Just to basically make it worse after it fell through.

It took me awhile to adjust after the fact and I did spend more nights than Id like to admit in the bottom of a bottle. Something I hadnt done since my son was born.

Today, I got a great girl who supports me in every fashion. I get my son alot more than most Dads in my situation. The only complaint is Ive worked 2 weeks in 2010. Ive had 3 interviews at burger joints and they wont hire me. Luckly, my girl has one of the best factory jobs in the area. We struggle but we make it. Im sure she's stressed between work, school and now being pregnant and I look everyday for a job. But the household attitude is great. Fights are few and far between and normaly over something very trivial. We normaly laugh about it after the fact.

That is the main reason why I trade and trade and trade. I just dont have the funds to buy new gear. When something is collecting dust and I see something I want I just try and trade for it. Now that Im playing bass again, and really feeling this is where the majority of my attention belongs. Im looking to acquire a acoustic guitar and move everything else. Really though all I want is a Dean Hillsboro J-bass. After x-mas, Im going to post some stuff on CL, maybe here. Im a little cautious about here though just because Im new and I know Id be hesitant from buying from a newbie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jx2
    Duffy I completely understand. When I was with my son's mom I sacrificed everything mostly because I knew it was a relationship on cracked ice. I gave up on playing music, sold my firearm collection during a time I was taking steps/class's to be a gunsmith and all kinds of stuff. Just to basically make it worse after it fell through.

It took me awhile to adjust after the fact and I did spend more nights than Id like to admit in the bottom of a bottle. Something I hadnt done since my son was born.

Today, I got a great girl who supports me in every fashion. I get my son alot more than most Dads in my situation. The only complaint is Ive worked 2 weeks in 2010. Ive had 3 interviews at burger joints and they wont hire me. Luckly, my girl has one of the best factory jobs in the area. We struggle but we make it. Im sure she's stressed between work, school and now being pregnant and I look everyday for a job. But the household attitude is great. Fights are few and far between and normaly over something very trivial. We normaly laugh about it after the fact.

That is the main reason why I trade and trade and trade. I just dont have the funds to buy new gear. When something is collecting dust and I see something I want I just try and trade for it. Now that Im playing bass again, and really feeling this is where the majority of my attention belongs. Im looking to acquire a acoustic guitar and move everything else. Really though all I want is a Dean Hillsboro J-bass. After x-mas, Im going to post some stuff on CL, maybe here. Im a little cautious about here though just because Im new and I know Id be hesitant from buying from a newbie.
    Dude, I don't have it great but I know it's better than your situation. I sincerely hope 2011 is awesome for you and your family. You seem to have it together. Besides, stuff is just stuff and can be replaced. A tight, loving family can't be broken and certainly can't be replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I just got off the phone with a temp agency. Guy is going to try and get me back into a place that only hires through them. Should know something by Tuesday. Only sucky part is it takes you on average 3-5 years to hit $10 a hour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jx2
    Thanks, I just got off the phone with a temp agency. Guy is going to try and get me back into a place that only hires through them. Should know something by Tuesday. Only sucky part is it takes you on average 3-5 years to hit $10 a hour.
    You know the ol' saying:
    A half a loaf is better than no loaf at all!

A few years ago, if you asked me if I'd consider working nights and every weekend, I would have blown the conversation off. Then, I got layed off. In the past, it only took 2-4 weeks to get a new job. After bouncing between a few part time temp positions and unemployment for almost 2 years, it was a no brainer to jump into the job I have had since January of this year!

Everything will work out, but the question is always "When?".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast