Thread: Line 6 HD 500 here ... Merry Xmas!

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quit playing with amps live about 2 yrs ago, I ain't looking back.
    GSP 1101 into the PA stereo, I get all I need in my monitor ,the FOH is clean sounding and my back is Happy!

I have MP-1s Voodu Valves, 2112 and cabs out the ying yang collecting dust.
    I agree that I miss the dynamics of a cabinet blowing my knees away,I have 2 4x12s that I love, but modeling is a great tool if you know and understand EQing. You can really get some useable sounds out of most modelers the key is as Spud said TWEAK IT!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigJD
    I agree that I miss the dynamics of a cabinet blowing my knees away,I have 2 4x12s that I love, but modeling is a great tool if you know and understand EQing. You can really get some useable sounds out of most modelers the key is as Spud said TWEAK IT!
    Hey so I for one don't really understand EQing. What's the best way to learn? Is there an online resource you'd recommend, or should I just hang out with sound guys or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Hey so I for one don't really understand EQing. What's the best way to learn? Is there an online resource you'd recommend, or should I just hang out with sound guys or what?
    It's your ear and your instrument.
    What I try to remember is that guitars are a midrange instrument. So I try not to compete with the bass or be so shrill that peoples ears bleed.
    Then theres alot of "shaping" of overdriven and distorted sounds that can be done to your modeler.
    I used a midi 31 band graphic EQ in my rig for along time just for shaping my overdrives and some of my effects.
    Get a graphic EQ and practice with it in your signal chain,slide the different freqs up and down to find what you like.
    I have a few of my favorite tweaks that work well with my set-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Heh, I understand much about EQ'ing and still understand very little, if that makes sense.

I don't really like using EQ to adjust real guitar sounds - I haven't touched my amps EQ in years. I don't think you're ultimately changing anything but surface when you tweak EQ's. It won't change the type of saturation and the curve of clip etc. basics of the sound - it's just sonic band-aid when you're working with c**p base sound such as modelers yield. And, with a real guitar, once you start putting stuff like a proper EQ in the signal path, the game's already lost by that point due to too many IC's in the path, it just destroys the sound completely. Although some people with stone ears hear no difference, at least to me it's like a night and day comparing a direct line to my amp and then with a pedal too many or gain stage in between.

However, as I said, these modelers are so much easier to record with and sound just the same to the listener anyway, so with these you do need some EQ perhaps, if the models are bad. I rather just find good models to start with, there's hundreds of them.

IMO Unless your guitar sound is totally c**p you don't need any EQ, but if you _want_ to tweak EQ because your guitar is some dull-sounding passive-miked regular banger, what you really want is a paragraphic midrange EQ, because in guitars midrange is always the key. Usually boosting a suitably narrow band around 2500Khz works pretty well for guitars. Around 400 there is often much muck to clear off as well, might want to use a dip there. And you can quite freely put a hi-pass filter below 70Hz or so it's just mush there.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup EQ wise with rotten pick-ups and a Cr&p Guitar you can EQ till the sun burns out and you still have what you started with.
    When plugging into an amp you get what the designer gave you and then the sound of your cr&p guitar and pick-ups.
    When you plug into a modeler you have many more options than the 1 or 2 channels of an amp for many ,many more unique sounds to use as your signature sounds..................
    But it all starts with a quality instrument,its got to sound good before you start to tweak.
    Then it's tweeeeek till your hearts content!