Thread: When you can't play anything else

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default When you can't play anything else

. . . what songs do you turn to.

Busy holiday times right now. After having a burst of energy toward learning more guitar in October and November, I became stuck again due to getting ski season and team up off the ground again, and multiple kid commitments, holiday commitments etc.

During times like these, I still try to play a little something almost every day if I can. But when it is late, I am tired, etc., I cannot focus on new material or lessons. Then I turn to a couple/few old stand by songs. Do you? If so, what are yours?

Mine are:

Heart of Gold a warm up song for me since almost the beginning.

Gravity by Mayer. It is one I can get lost in, and noodle around with in the dark or almost dark, letting it take me wherever. I also enjoy the chords, and trying different ways to play the rhythms.

Red Haired Boy a bluegrass fiddle tune. I skip the capo and just play it in first position. It is a good song for my right hand, picking technique, and timing, and fun to play.

If I can't get to anything else, I try to play at least these. Howzabout you?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

You tell it like it is. We often lack the time to start new stuff.
    I switch to songs like Little Wing or The Wind Cries Mary. When I don't have time to learn new songs, I try at least to play the a.m. songs in a different way, to find substitue chords or play them in different styles, like for e.g. Jazz or Swing.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just don't play. Leaving the guitar aside for a few weeks or a month now and then only improves your playing.

The start of the month I played several hours during weekend, haven't played anything in two weeks since aside from recording a solo and some rhythms for ACDC's Shot Down in Flames cover. I credit doing rather well with the solo - recorded it in a matter of minutes - to not having touched the guitar in a feek before that.

And, to be honest, if I play something at home, it's hardly ever covers. I sing covers at home, and then I play acoustic to back it up, say maybe once a month, but on electric...I just play my own stuff 99% of the time,
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

The "standby" songs for me are typically:

• "Our Prayer" by Albert Ayler. This is typically the first thing I play when I pick up any guitar to get my fingers loosened up. Also, it being an Albert Ayler song, it tends to get me in an improvisational mindset so even if I'm not planning on learning/practicing any new songs, playing this one more often than not leads me into some form of free improv which is always beneficial to work on.

• "Please Please Me" by the Beatles (though my arrangement is closer to Link Wray's version)

• "You Are My Sunshine" - This one is my "noodling around" song as I often change the way I play it, and lately have had fun pairing it up with "Over the Rainbow" which allows for some interesting segues no matter which one I start with.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

"Amazing Grace" "Red River Valley" "Wayfaring Stranger" "House of the Rising Sun" "Sunshine of Your Love" and lately, the opening of "Hawaii Five-0."
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

The vocal line to "Amazing Grace" is my standby. I worked it out on the day of my grandfather's funeral. It makes me happy to play it now, as I remember all the fun stuff we did together as a kid.

Other than that, I just noodle, and see where the muse takes me. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's bad, but it's always playing! Occasionally, I'll stumble upon a rhythm of a tune that way, then I'll hop on YouTube and figure it out.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

At times like this I don't go to a particular song. I instead look for a different chord and start there. I just see where it takes me. If I go nowhere I look for another chord. That way I can keep a part of my brain active that allows me to be creative instead of falling back into the same old routine. Always forward Scout.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, these days I usually just start mindlessly practicing whatever solo or part I don't quite have down. Right now, that would be Photograph by Def Leppard, Hard to Handle by the Black Crowes, or maybe parts of All Right Now by Free.

But if I'm not that focused, I'll just wank around with open chords and fingerpicking, Blackbird, Day Tripper, or Silent Lucidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Hound
    "Amazing Grace" "Red River Valley" "Wayfaring Stranger" "House of the Rising Sun" "Sunshine of Your Love" and lately, the opening of "Hawaii Five-0."
    Amazing Grace Marcus Miller's version perfect way to get into great bass flow for a very long time.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin