Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most impressive guitar playing you ever witnessed?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is easily Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin, Al Dimeola and Steve Morse. That was some of the sickest guitar playing I've ever seen up close. Head shaking numbness is what you feel when you see guys of this caliber. The funniest thing too was anytime Paco would rip a little lead and it was Al's turn Al would just look at him and scrape the guitar strings above the nut and just go "PLINK" as if to say..."I can't top that". Awesome.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Not to forget Les Paul! Besides his inventive miracles, he could really do some amazing things on the fretboard. I saw him later in life a few times and he still had great chops in his eighties. Just listen to some of his tunes with Mary Ford.
    These were before he was in the car accident which limited the mobility of his arm. Fast, expressive and super inventive!

Post Thanks / Like

I totally forgot - Michael Hedges.

He played here at the university and I sat right in front of him. I'd never experienced anything like that in my life. Uber kinetic, captivating, entertaining, friendly, shamanistic, and otherworldly is how I would describe the experience and him. Just a man and a guitar...and a whole bunch of sound. Wow!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many great guitar players that even singling one out within a particular genre can be difficult....this is where the top 10 guitarist list comes in handy, even then it should be more like top 20! Or even top 5 from each genre.....

For my $$, Tommy Emmanuel is my hero. I saw him on a Oz TV program called Hey Hey its Saturday and bought every tape (LOL) and eventually CDs etc. Have seen him live 3-4 times most recently last month playing with his brother Phil and band.

Tommy is THE reason I picked up the guitar. Always been a fan of hardish rock (not full on death metal dropped D rubbish - rubbish IMHO that just me) but Tommy's sweet music gives me the shivers and hairs on neck stand up and to me, thats my test of what REALLY turns me on, as opposed to say Malmsteen who is amazing aswell, just doesn't do the whole shiver thing to me.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Richard Thompson, either acoustic or electric, is amazing. First time I saw him at the Coach House (San Juan Capistrano, CA?) I was blown away. Tastefully playing bass, rhythm and lead lines simultaneously. Brilliant song writer as well.
    Goes without saying I saw the warmup show for the "tour from hell" at the Dominion Theatre, London in '82. Wow! Hating your partner can really sharpen your performance (please don't ask how I know this ).

But, on the whole RT is just edged out by Ry Cooder and David Lindley on their family band tour at the Royal Festival Hall, London sometime in the 90s. At one point during the set someone in the audience yelled "are you recording this?". Cooder replied "do you think we should?". The audience quietly sighed with exasperation
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was Frank Gambale. Saw him with Steve Smith on drums but cannot remember the bass player. I know it wasn't Stu Hamm. I was blown away by how effortless he played.
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if I can drag a bass player in here, but I recently had the honor and privilege to see/hear Victor Wooten with Bela Fleck.

Probably the "awesomest" musical experience of my life!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    I don't know if I can drag a bass player in here, but I recently had the honor and privilege to see/hear Victor Wooten with Bela Fleck.
    Ah, for bass, mine would be Getty Lee.
    I missed a chance to see Jaco Pastorius with my Dad when Weather Report toured through town. I don't remember why I didn't go, but later regretted it.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Ah, for bass, mine would be Getty Lee.
    I missed a chance to see Jaco Pastorius with my Dad when Weather Report toured through town. I don't remember why I didn't go, but later regretted it.
    I had a chance to see Alan Holdsworth back in the early 80s, but passed on it. Now I'm sorry I did

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    But, on the whole RT is just edged out by Ry Cooder and David Lindley on their family band tour at the Royal Festival Hall, London sometime in the 90s. At one point during the set someone in the audience yelled "are you recording this?". Cooder replied "do you think we should?". The audience quietly sighed with exasperation
    I've got a recording of DL and RC from their family tour, good stuff.

I've seen David Lindley about 6 times in the last 15 years, and he always puts on a great show. He also can play anything with strings on it: bazouki, violin, saz, oud, guitar, banjo, you name it.

I wouldn't call him a flash player, but he can certainly deliver the goods and can burn like a mofo when he wants to.

David Lindley is in the top five of my favorite players.

Post Thanks / Like

Victor Wooten is, without question the best bass playing I've ever had the chance to see live. I've seen him many times with the Flecktones and he never disappoints, particularly in his extended solo portion of the show.

Maybe it's guys that play with Bela, because my second best bass experience was seeing Stanley Clarke play with Bela and Jean-Luc Ponty, for FREE no less.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I haven't seen anywhere close to as many shows as a lot of you, but the guitarists that just made me sit back and think "wow" were Tommy Shaw when I saw Styx about 3 years ago and Tommy Emmanuel earlier this year.

Tommy Shaw totally caught me by surprise -- I wasn't expecting much from Styx, but his guitar playing was absolutely on fire.
    I would have to put Tommy Shaw and James Young right up there with many of the greats as I seen them 3 times in the last year. I will had one of the best new guys and if you get a chance to watch him ROGER COLEMAN he tours with Justin Moore and The Double Barrel Ace Band, at the current time I would put him against anyone I have seen in many years. The only other one that comes to mind is Gary Rossington who for years has been burning them strings.

Post Thanks / Like

Guitar Player Magazine used to include music on plastic "Eva-Tone" records with each issue, mostly back in the 80s and very early 90s, IIRC.

One of the most impressive displays of musicianship was one they did with Tuck Andress, a jazz guitar player. He played a solo guitar song which he played three distinct parts all at the same time: rhythm, harmony and melody. It sounded like there were three guitar players playing simultaneously, but it was just Andress and one guitar. Mind blowing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    One of the most impressive displays of musicianship was one they did with Tuck Andress, a jazz guitar player. He played a solo guitar song which he played three distinct parts all at the same time: rhythm, harmony and melody. It sounded like there were three guitar players playing simultaneously, but it was just Andress and one guitar. Mind blowing.
    Very cool. Reminds me of first listening to some of Charlie Hunter's stuff. Between the simultaneous bass and guitar sounds of his 8-string, and the combination of his rotary pedal and voicing his chords more like a pianist than a guitar player to achieve a very organ-like tone, one could easily believe they were listening to three musicians at once when it was just Charlie.

Seeing him play live was that much more entertaining as you could close your eyes, hear three separate parts, then open them to see just one player. That may have been the best all-around live music experiences on my list as I got the chance to meet Charlie prior to the show and he invited us in for soundcheck. One of the most humble people I've ever met for someone who should be a lot more "famous" than he really is given the immense talent level.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Steve Vai

Buckethead
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Amp: Marshall TSL100 amp head with JCM900 1960 Lead 4 X 12 angled cab

Effects: Crybaby, TS10 Tube Screamer, Badder Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by navvid
    Steve Vai

Buckethead

Vai left quite an impression on me as well.

Still badly need to see Buckethead.

Post Thanks / Like

As a metalhead to the bone I have to say the most mindblowing piece of guitar work I've seen was by an Australian hippie/funk/folk/blues/roots performer named John Butler, some of you may be familiar with his work as the frontman in The John Butler Trio. Now I should nail my colours to the mast right away and say I'm not a fan, nice tunes but just not my thing. HOWEVER, after I saw him play this instrumental piece called "Oceans" I had no choice but to bow down. Here's a youtube link if you're interested:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0
    My gear:

Jackson RR3
    ESP/LTD M-200 - For Sale PM for details
    Monterey Stage Series Strat copy

Ibanez TBX150H Head + Cab

Like melodic, groovy metal? Check out my band Trinatyde on facebook/myspace

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Victor Wooten is, without question the best bass playing I've ever had the chance to see live. I've seen him many times with the Flecktones and he never disappoints, particularly in his extended solo portion of the show.

Maybe it's guys that play with Bela, because my second best bass experience was seeing Stanley Clarke play with Bela and Jean-Luc Ponty, for FREE no less.
    Stanley and Bela Fleck..

I don't think I could possibly let myself miss another Victor show.

Post Thanks / Like

Come to think of it, I've seen Blue Oyster Cult several times and was very impressed with Buck Dharma's playing.

Oh, Rich Williams of Kansas was fairly amazing to see/hear.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast