Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Coping with Snow
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coping with Snow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coping with Snow

Hi Fretters

If you didnt know, England is covered in snow, stopping trains, motorways and airports. How do other countries cope?

Happy holidays

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

We pull up our knickers and get out and go to work :-)
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have a lot of nice, early season snow this year. I hope it keeps coming. We are a ski town, so we cope by going skiing!

Here is a vid from the Saturday before last where I am filming my Freeride team kids I was coaching. Ahh, to be young! I am proud of these guys and their coping skills.

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=100_0027.mp4

We have received a bunch more snow since this shot too! That dirty spot they are jumping near is from the dynamite that was set for avalanche control.

Snow brings life and moisture to these dry, rocky high desert mountains. A good snow year transforms these mountains into a magical playground. (different from the magical trails we use in the summer). Falling snow is magical to me. My favorite meditation is to imagine slowly gliding along a snow covered cat track (dirt road used by machinery) effortlessly, watching softly falling snow as it kisses my face.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; December 22nd, 2010 at 09:01 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unless you live near a ski area like SVL, snow should be avoided as much as possible, preferably by living in a warmer latitude. My A/C actually came on twice yesterday afternoon.
    Hope that helps!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Everything's been white here for weeks already. This winter is as hard as was last winter. Okay, we are far away from being a snow town haha, but we enjoy the peaceful white a lot.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Like Tig, I believe avoidance is the best policy for dealing with snow.

I'm wearing a short sleeved tee shirt this morning, and the air conditioner is on.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I moved 2 months ago from North Carolina to West Virginia. It is cold all the time up here! It's kind of nice to have the snow without people getting all crazy about it like in North Carolina. Things pretty much go on as normal...just with snow!

Unless it gets bad of course. Then people will stay in and not be stupid....generally

Post Thanks / Like

How do we cope? There's a reason there are so many August and September babies here in the Great White North.

Just sayin'...
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Countries like Canada have a whole infrastucture dedicated to winter snow removal. Within hours of a snowfall all of the streets in our city of 150,000 are plowed. Highways are constantly plowed and sanded and salted to keep them clear.
    Our airports, each have literally enough plows to clear a small town.
    Most of us have snowblowers. Mine is a 10 horse, 36 inch wide two stage blower, and is self propelled. I can blow the snow across the street if I want to. My driveway is 90feet by 20, and I can do it in less than an hour if we have a foot of snow.
    We use winter tires and we have three sets of cloths, summer, fall and winter. Boots, gloves, hats, and insulated coats.
    I have a gas fireplace in my family room and of course cental gas heating. We have insulation in our homes up to R40 plus in the ceiling and 25 plus in the walls.
    We have specially made insulataed doors and windows to keep out the cold.
    I think that a lot of places that are getting whacked recently by "unusual" snow and ice should take notice, and adjust. It is not going to get any better in the future. Those places are not equiped for it. We have to be.
    We have done more to change climate in 200 years than what took millions to change.
    Most of us who can, will take holidays in the warmer climates in the winter, and a lot even move there for the winter months to avoid the cold.
    Last year was the worst year in Florida for many years for cold.
    I was there for a month and only got a handful of days over 80 F. The rest were as low as the 30s and usually in the mid 50s. That was in Feb. March and April.
    That is how we cope here.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guy's, us brits do not cope with a pinch of snow. It happen last year and this year, you think that we might have learnt a lesson.

oh well..... happy holidays

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's simply a matter of getting experienced with it. Much what ZMAN here said. No problem for our airports while the southern Europe is in chaos. For us it's just regular business. They indeed have dozens of snow removal machines, and they just run along the airstrips constantly in a tight line of 5-7 in a row and make the runway clean as in summer in a matter of a few minutes between landings.

I was just in Scotland and England and one thing I did notice is that houses aren't built for cold at all; there's no space for dumping snow between houses and fences, plumbing is largely outside(!) the buildings and windows are only twin-plated or even single plated type.

It really is no problem living in -30 constantly when you have 3-4 layer windows and plenty of fireplaces - hell my house walls are almost three feet thick! The only thing that causes grief sometimes is cars not starting if you've forgotten to heat it up, but those heating posts are available nigh everywhere, parking lots of workplaces etc. And sometimes driving on roads where you don't really see the actual road :-) as I just posted in another thread:
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Here in my area of Pennsylvania we haven't had any snow yet. It's forecast for a bunch coming today, but all around us, and it might not hit here if we're lucky. But the snow adds to the water table and we're on a well, so no snow at all is not a good thing.
    Last year we got hit pretty good. I think one snowfall must have been about 3 feet. I was clearing snow for 2 days
    Did anyone see on the news the story about the guy who was away for a trip when they got a blizzard? It must have blown open his doors or windows and his house was filled with snow. Literally a couple of feet of snow filled many areas of his house. His brother in law or someone took video of it as he was helping to clear it out ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitartango
    Hi Fretters

If you didnt know, England is covered in snow, stopping trains, motorways and airports. How do other countries cope?

Happy holidays

Mike
    Sell snow cones.

Seriously, I'm where I haven't seen snow since '83.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess like England it doesn't snow very much here. It's a rotten mess when it does though. We have a lot of steep hills and our snow is usually very close to the freezing point which makes it very slick. Add in a bazzillion drivers that have no snow driving skill and it makes for quite a headache.

I have all-wheel drive and studded tires, but with hundreds of stuck cars plugging the roadways, that doesn't help much.

PS - The studded tires and AWD are mostly for going up in the mountains snowshoeing and such.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Get creative!

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta say, from the perspective of a former desert rat (raised in Tucson, AZ), the snow/cold of Pennsylvania has been pretty hard to deal with. The way I figured out to stand it is not to hole up, but rather to get outside and enjoy it! Seriously - like the guy said earlier about skiing, but if that's not an option get out and do something - anything - in the cold weather and it will pass more quickly for you.

Or - like I plan to do - move to Miami!!

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Pedals: Too many to list - 90% of them of my own making.

Visit me on the webz: pedalbuilder.com

Post Thanks / Like

We had a couple of inches this morning. By 7 PM, it started again and the streets were clearr, nothing to speak of on them. By midnite, 5 hrs later, we were blasted with over a foot of snow (officially, 16.5") on the ground. OMG! I can't believe this storm dumped that much in such a short period of time.

Oh well, off to bed and by this time tomorrow nite, my back will be killing me.
    Last edited by piebaldpython; January 27th, 2011 at 05:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's my driveway:

The problem is, there is no place to put any more snow except haul it all the way to the end of the drive and hoist it over the snowbank.

Here's another pic from the same place other direction - that buried fence is as tall as I am, and behind that is a six feet wide bank of snow accumulated. I try my best to keep the driveways clean but it's getting hard and its so early still - I fear the biggest snowfalls are still to come.

Here's the corner from the main driveway...all the neighbors yards are just as full of snow and the driveway itself has almost become a one-lane street now as there are huge snowbanks on either side.

Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's incredible! And here I was complaining that it was pushin 40c around here the last couple of days. At least I don't have to dig my way out of my house every morning.

I bet your heating bills are low with 3ft thick walls though! When I was in Siberia I was amazed at the thickness of the wood used in home construction. I snapped this to show my father (an ex-builder).

Using pine of that size in Australia would be insane expensive, but in that part of Russia there are massive silver pine forests so I guess it's the material of choice in rural areas. (Shot in the lakeside village of Listvyanka)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast