Thread: Guitar lessons

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guitar lessons

While I admit I'm not as fluent or as good as I want to be with scales and playing, I do have an understanding of how things work and as I have purchased hardware from many online sources, I get tons of emails from online dvd sales and lessons and always wondered if they were any good.
    At this point, I doubt I'd part with my money for them but I am curious if anyone has tried any of these dvd's or online courses and if so, did it help.......which one?
    I've seen some of the demos and some look like they are for beginners while others appear just to want to show you how to copy some popular solos. I've never had formal lessons and taught myself and have a good ear. And, I've always tried to learn from others that I've jammed with. However, I do feel I could learn from someone who is experienced with teaching others.

Post Thanks / Like

First, try some lessons at dolphinstreet.com. I think you'll be EXTREMELY impressed.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip
    First, try some lessons at dolphinstreet.com. I think you'll be EXTREMELY impressed.

I second that option. I have purchased a few from Robert and while I am still learning them, his lessons are very helpful...

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a Metal Method student for years now. I've got every version of the course that has been offered as well as Classic Metal Licks, SRV Style, and Sweep Pick Mechanics. Doug Marks is a really good teacher. With the most recent revision, it's even more user-friendly and easier to work into for the newbie guitarist. He's got clips on YouTube that give a basic overview of the course. He made modal theory clear to me, which is a major accomplishment right there.

With a name like "Metal Method" it obviously leans towards hard rock or classic heavy metal, but what you learn would be applicable in about any genre. Not much of anything for Jazz folks, though, unsurprisingly.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you start.There are so many lessons and with youtube,honestly with youtube you don't really need to buy anything.In the early '80s I got doug marks metal method and it was great for me at the time,but man if you every wanted to learn your options are limitless.Have fun most of all.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjk123
    I second that option. I have purchased a few from Robert and while I am still learning them, his lessons are very helpful...
    another satisfied customer here.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a few of the guitarinstructor.com lessons and they were okay. But - for the $2-3 per lesson they cost, okay is good enough.

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Pedals: Too many to list - 90% of them of my own making.

Visit me on the webz: pedalbuilder.com