Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Good audio interface for < $200?

Thread: Good audio interface for < $200?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good audio interface for < $200?

Hi all,

I received a used M-Audio Fast Track Pro for Christmas, but it was purchased used and has some issues, so it might end up going back to the Ebay seller. Assuming that does happen, I figured I might as well open the discussion for other interfaces as well.

What's your recommendation for a computer audio interface? I have a Behringer UCA202 that works acceptably for the absolute bare minimum, but I'd like something that would accept XLR, 1/4", etc. and have preamps and monitoring capabilities.

I run a PC and have a Firewire card I could add in if need be, though it would require removal of some other PCI card. I need a new computer. *sigh*

I was looking at the Presonus Audiobox USB or the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, and there are other options like the Firebox or Profire 610, though those are more pricey and require firewire.

What do you recommend? What works well for you? What have you heard is good? I'll be using Windows for recording, probably using Audacity at first and not sure what else if I get more into recording.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, it's always much to do with what works with what hardware - sometimes some hardware just doesn't mix for any given reason.

In the recent years I've had plenty of soundcards from Echo, EMU, Yamaha, M-Audio for instance, and now have used a Presonus card for quite a while. Each card has had their pro's but so far the Presonus (Firebox/FP10) has given me almost zero issues since them proper Win7 64bit drivers were released, and it just works like a dream day in day out plus has enough inputs. Coupled with an el cheapo Behringer MiniMon switcher for monitoring purposes it does everything I need.

I really don't know if USB vs. Firewire makes any real difference otherwise, but I have like over a dozen USB devices already including three other soundcards, so the last few cards I've had have all been firewire. They also work with my laptop well (XpPro 32bit) and would with a mac too. The only issues I've had with firewire is that once in a blue moon I need to remove the cord and re-insert it when the device isn't recognized at boot, but that's rare.
    In my old machine I had some fast FW800 ports that also proved incompatible and I had to put in an extra PCI firewire card. On the current PC no problems.

Seems to me anyways that Presonus is getting a good rap of late, and I'd be ready to recommend one too.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

The Lexicon Lambda or Omega are pretty good USB interfaces with mixers built in and pretty good preamps. I know the Omega will do midi too. I'm not sure about the Lambda.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

The Lexicon Lambda or Omega are pretty good USB interfaces with mixers built in and pretty good preamps. I know the Omega will do midi too. I'm not sure about the Lambda.
    So...what's the point of having midi capability? Isn't that just how keyboards hook in or something?

I would be using this for acoustic, electric, and bass guitars and vocals through some sort of microphone -- probably dynamic. I imagine they'll all be tracked individually, but you never know. Should I get an interface with midi or S/PDIF? I don't know what either of them are used for. How many inputs, etc. would you recommend?
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

You might check out the Presonus Audiobox USB:

http://www.presonus.com/products/det...x?productid=53

Runs about $150.

As with any of these audio interfaces, do a Google search to see if there are any issues with your OS and the manufacturers' drivers.

Also, I've heard some Firewire interfaces can be finicky, especially if you don't have the Texas Instruments firewire chipset in your computer.

Post Thanks / Like

The college I go to used to use Lexicon Omegas. They're ~3 years old now and NONE of them work properly anymore. Driver problems under Windows XP and 7 and now the solder joints for the headphone volume pots have gone. They also had faults with around half a dozen of them within 6 months. To be fair they've had a lot of use, but given the amount of trouble they were when they were relatively new but I wouldn't recommend them.

There's no real advantage to using Firewire instead of USB unless you're recording 4+ tracks at once, so if you're only after a basic interface I'd stick with USB. You'll probably only need 2 XLR inputs as well as pretty much everything is recorded individually now.

Personally I'd go for the PreSonus Audiobox, I should be getting one myself in a few weeks. It may not have the MIDI inputs of the Omegas but almost all MIDI keyboards/drumpads/etc. now work via USB, so it's not that important anymore. It's also built like a tank.

Other than that you'll probably want to check out the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, similar specs and build quality to the Audiobox. There's also the Mackie Onyx Blackjack, same again but with the same pre-amps used in Mackie's larger/more expensive mixing desks.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    So...what's the point of having midi capability? Isn't that just how keyboards hook in or something?

I would be using this for acoustic, electric, and bass guitars and vocals through some sort of microphone -- probably dynamic. I imagine they'll all be tracked individually, but you never know. Should I get an interface with midi or S/PDIF? I don't know what either of them are used for. How many inputs, etc. would you recommend?
    These days, MIDI is pretty obsolete, unless you work with keyboards a lot. That Presonus USB would be a pretty good choice I'm sure.

You won't need S/PDIF either, it's handy in one way only for a normal user - and that is getting the music to a home theater amp via it - if you use such an amp for monitors. A pro might want to do DAT transfers via it etc. but normal user...no need. Besides, those are very finicky as well in any other use (like between devices you start going into word clock issues etc.)

BUT you will need phantom power at some point. I would really strongly suggest getting a nice condenser mic for recording most anything. A dynamic will get you a long way too, but a condenser allows you to record from much farther, give you lots and lots of options to test mic placement and get different sounds and whatnot. Simply recording your guitar amp to two tracks using both a dynamic mic and a condenser will give you lots more control over the sound.

Also, if you haven't got anything, I'd also recommend using a small mixer on the monitoring side. Not on the input side, using something like a cheap Behringer before the mic pres of the Presonus for instance will pretty much kill any sound and S/N ratio they can provide.

So here's what I'd recommend any beginning home studio maker:

- Presonus Audiobox or something like it.

- a Shure 57 for recording pretty much anything; you'll always need one. If you mainly do vocals a 58 is pretty much the same.

- a nice condenser mic like a Rode N1 or something (circa $100 buys a nice one; Samson C1 etc. are cheap and OK) Later I'd recommend getting a used pair of small-diaphragm condensers as well, you can get a decent pair used for a fifty or so.

- a popscreen for recording vocals, but you can make a good one with stiff metal wire and some pantyhose stockings for instance.

- IF you record vocals or when you get a few different speakers, a monitor mixer, like a Behringer MiniMon800 (got mine used for 40 bucks) for selecting monitoring and to adjust input/output volume and outboard FX easily when for instance singing (nice to be able to adjust how much of your own vocals you hear as opposed to backing etc...) is a must.

- (again IF you do much vocals) some FX box with reverb so you can hear some reverb while singing, but doesn't go to 'tape' makes singing WAY easier.

- a pair of normal active computer speakers AND a pair of good active monitors - you should spare at least a few hundred for the speakers if you want to make decent mixes at least with relative ease; Behringer Truth, KRK Rockit are good examples. This is what most people save on and it's a bad place to save if you're after reasonable mixes.

- a pair of good monitor headphones; I like AKG240K's but also Beyerdynamic makes decent, cheap monitor headphones. Remember monitor speakers/phones are NOT meant to sound good, they're meant to sound very accurate and level.

One thing worth considering is - do you need portable recording? Do you need recording without the PC? Because you can do away with a few microphones and a monitor mixer if you get a Zoom R-16 for a soundcard - sure it costs double or more but it's a helluva lot more gear too, 8 inputs at once, in-built condenser mics, control surface, mixer, FX box...still, if you mainly do work in a studio there is no replacing a decent setup. But just look at what an R-16 can do, you can literally record guitar demos lying on a sofa with just it and headphones and a guitar, or a full band live! Plus it's a good USB soundcard.

So IMO you need circa 700-1000 bucks to build a good home studio. BUT you can start with a little and build on it. Just getting a soundcard, a 57 and a popscreen plus headphones will run you ~300-400 depending if new or used but will get you a long way anyhow.

I've built myself and friends over a dozen different studio setups based on HD recorders, PC's and whatnot, been involved in building semi-pro full studios and worked in those a lot, recorded two dozen demo releases on them and written two articles in computer mags about creating and using a PC based home studio, so I've really thought about these things some and what's the bare minimum needed...but don't take my word for it, ask around and see for yourself. But in the long run, I'm betting you'll pretty much come to the same conclusions :-)
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Interface

I suggest you read this: http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards...interfaces.htm

Its an invaluable resource when i got started a few years ago and led me to buy my Presonus Firebox, still reference it today when i need to.

http://www.presonus.com/products/det...px?productid=4
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul0...es/firebox.htm

Midi is used for many things other than keyboards, I update my M9 and other modules with a midi interface, but I use a midi to usb cable. I have not been tracking more than two inputs simultaneously so the firebox fits my current needs. If however, I need to upgrade which I think will be in 2011, I'm looking at the Studio Live 16 which can record up to 16 simultaneous inputs.

http://www.presonus.com/products/Det...x?ProductId=52

If you are doing everything in your PC the best fit might be the M-Audio Delta 1010 LT. 10 inputs and outputs plus midi. Connect to your mixer and you're set up. These will run you about USD199.00.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT.html

There are many solutions, but only one you. Audio interfaces can be confusing at first as routing options are many and varied dependent on your equipment and needs. Read, read and read again, find your best fit.

Hope this helps.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Have heard good things only about the Presonus. Why don't you stay with the M-Audio Fast Track? Return the defect one and get a brand new one. I think these are really great units.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    Have heard good things only about the Presonus. Why don't you stay with the M-Audio Fast Track? Return the defect one and get a brand new one. I think these are really great units.
    Still contemplating that. I think my wife is annoyed that the Ebay seller sold her something that doesn't work, but it might be too late to get a refund from them, so if it is I'll send it in to M-Audio and see if they'll fix/replace it. I talked with tech support yesterday.

I will say this much: getting to M-Audio tech support is a pain in the rear. You have to get some special code from them just to be able to talk to anyone on the phone.

I think my original question in this thread was meant as sort of "In a vacuum, what's an appropriate audio interface that will serve my needs right now?" You know, kind of take the information, add in my current situation, and figure out what the appropriate course of action is.

The Fast Track Pro seems like it is a good unit, but at the moment I'm just irritated at all the trouble it has caused.

Post Thanks / Like

Still contemplating that. I think my wife is annoyed that the Ebay seller sold her something that doesn't work, but it might be too late to get a refund from them, so if it is I'll send it in to M-Audio and see if they'll fix/replace it. I talked with tech support yesterday.

I will say this much: getting to M-Audio tech support is a pain in the rear. You have to get some special code from them just to be able to talk to anyone on the phone.

I think my original question in this thread was meant as sort of "In a vacuum, what's an appropriate audio interface that will serve my needs right now?" You know, kind of take the information, add in my current situation, and figure out what the appropriate course of action is.

The Fast Track Pro seems like it is a good unit, but at the moment I'm just irritated at all the trouble it has caused.
    I understand Eric. Had such hassle with a boutique Wah. Big letdown. In that case stay away from the M-Audio of course. Like I said, I heard good things on the Presonus products in general and I think I'd go with that. I am not sure though if I'd also apply the software you get with the Presonus product.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

The Presonus stuff is great. The band I play in has both a Firebox and a Firepod in our studio. The Firebox is the firewire version of the unit shown above. For most people, USB is fine as long as it's a 2.0 connection. I wouldn't worry about USB versus Firewire in terms of recording quality as I don't think you can get anything that records at less than 24 bit which is far better than CD. I wouldn't worry about a MIDI connection either as most new MIDI controllers have a USB jack instead of the typical 5-pin.

Also, as far as SPDIF, it is not necessary. I use mine (M-Audio Delta 1010lt) because it gives me two (supposedly) higher quality inputs. I use a Midiman (M-Audio) Flying Cow D-A/A-D converter and use the SPDIF as my monitor outputs.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    These days, MIDI is pretty obsolete, unless you work with keyboards a lot. That Presonus USB would be a pretty good choice I'm sure.

You won't need S/PDIF either, it's handy in one way only for a normal user - and that is getting the music to a home theater amp via it - if you use such an amp for monitors. A pro might want to do DAT transfers via it etc. but normal user...no need. Besides, those are very finicky as well in any other use (like between devices you start going into word clock issues etc.)

BUT you will need phantom power at some point. I would really strongly suggest getting a nice condenser mic for recording most anything. A dynamic will get you a long way too, but a condenser allows you to record from much farther, give you lots and lots of options to test mic placement and get different sounds and whatnot. Simply recording your guitar amp to two tracks using both a dynamic mic and a condenser will give you lots more control over the sound.

Also, if you haven't got anything, I'd also recommend using a small mixer on the monitoring side. Not on the input side, using something like a cheap Behringer before the mic pres of the Presonus for instance will pretty much kill any sound and S/N ratio they can provide.

So here's what I'd recommend any beginning home studio maker:

- Presonus Audiobox or something like it.

- a Shure 57 for recording pretty much anything; you'll always need one. If you mainly do vocals a 58 is pretty much the same.

- a nice condenser mic like a Rode N1 or something (circa $100 buys a nice one; Samson C1 etc. are cheap and OK) Later I'd recommend getting a used pair of small-diaphragm condensers as well, you can get a decent pair used for a fifty or so.

- a popscreen for recording vocals, but you can make a good one with stiff metal wire and some pantyhose stockings for instance.

- IF you record vocals or when you get a few different speakers, a monitor mixer, like a Behringer MiniMon800 (got mine used for 40 bucks) for selecting monitoring and to adjust input/output volume and outboard FX easily when for instance singing (nice to be able to adjust how much of your own vocals you hear as opposed to backing etc...) is a must.

- (again IF you do much vocals) some FX box with reverb so you can hear some reverb while singing, but doesn't go to 'tape' makes singing WAY easier.

- a pair of normal active computer speakers AND a pair of good active monitors - you should spare at least a few hundred for the speakers if you want to make decent mixes at least with relative ease; Behringer Truth, KRK Rockit are good examples. This is what most people save on and it's a bad place to save if you're after reasonable mixes.

- a pair of good monitor headphones; I like AKG240K's but also Beyerdynamic makes decent, cheap monitor headphones. Remember monitor speakers/phones are NOT meant to sound good, they're meant to sound very accurate and level.

One thing worth considering is - do you need portable recording? Do you need recording without the PC? Because you can do away with a few microphones and a monitor mixer if you get a Zoom R-16 for a soundcard - sure it costs double or more but it's a helluva lot more gear too, 8 inputs at once, in-built condenser mics, control surface, mixer, FX box...still, if you mainly do work in a studio there is no replacing a decent setup. But just look at what an R-16 can do, you can literally record guitar demos lying on a sofa with just it and headphones and a guitar, or a full band live! Plus it's a good USB soundcard.

So IMO you need circa 700-1000 bucks to build a good home studio. BUT you can start with a little and build on it. Just getting a soundcard, a 57 and a popscreen plus headphones will run you ~300-400 depending if new or used but will get you a long way anyhow.

I've built myself and friends over a dozen different studio setups based on HD recorders, PC's and whatnot, been involved in building semi-pro full studios and worked in those a lot, recorded two dozen demo releases on them and written two articles in computer mags about creating and using a PC based home studio, so I've really thought about these things some and what's the bare minimum needed...but don't take my word for it, ask around and see for yourself. But in the long run, I'm betting you'll pretty much come to the same conclusions :-)
    Wow, thanks for all of that! I have a few of the components you talk about -- got an SM57 for Christmas, already have a Samson MDR624 mixer that I bought for $40, working on the interface/sound card, and have some nicer/more powerful computer speakers already.

I guess I still have plenty to get such as a condenser mic, pop screen, nice headphones, active monitors, reverb unit, etc. BUT...I think I'm approaching what I need for some passable home recordings. Thanks again for all of the input -- this thread has been really informative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, thanks for all of that! I have a few of the components you talk about -- got an SM57 for Christmas, already have a Samson MDR624 mixer that I bought for $40, working on the interface/sound card, and have some nicer/more powerful computer speakers already.

I guess I still have plenty to get such as a condenser mic, pop screen, nice headphones, active monitors, reverb unit, etc. BUT...I think I'm approaching what I need for some passable home recordings. Thanks again for all of the input -- this thread has been really informative.
    Yeah, definitely...the only thing I'd say you absolutely need to get started well are good earphones. Not good HiFi earphones, good monitor earphones. Because you can't ever put enough money in speakers, even if you bought 10.000 dollar speakers they will be the weakest link every time. However, a 120-dollar pair of AKG240K will be more accurate in terms of audio reproduction than multi-thousand dollar speakers. You still need speakers to get a proper feel of the mix but good earphones are a must for mixing. If you try mixing with just generic computer or Hi-Fi speakers it's bound to sound horrible in some systems when it sounds good on yours.

After that, a condenser & a pop screen is pretty much a must to get some more depth and sensitivity to recordings, but besides those it starts to get pretty optional.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Yeah, definitely...the only thing I'd say you absolutely need to get started well are good earphones. Not good HiFi earphones, good monitor earphones. Because you can't ever put enough money in speakers, even if you bought 10.000 dollar speakers they will be the weakest link every time. However, a 120-dollar pair of AKG240K will be more accurate in terms of audio reproduction than multi-thousand dollar speakers. You still need speakers to get a proper feel of the mix but good earphones are a must for mixing. If you try mixing with just generic computer or Hi-Fi speakers it's bound to sound horrible in some systems when it sounds good on yours.

After that, a condenser & a pop screen is pretty much a must to get some more depth and sensitivity to recordings, but besides those it starts to get pretty optional.
    I have some cheapo headphones (Behringer HPS3000), but yeah I need some better ones. All in due time -- this is my first real attempt at getting some decent recordings, so I'm allowing for some pains along the way.

Post Thanks / Like

I placed an order for the Presonus Audiobox. The ebay seller took back the M-Audio one that was sick once he found out it was given as a gift and wasn't checked until after Christmas. That was pretty nice of him, I think.

So...just waiting on delivery now.

Post Thanks / Like

I found some 15-year-old AKG K240s today on Craigslist for $20, so I bought them. I hope they still work well. They look to be in good condition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey, that's a good catch! My other pair is also at least 20 or so years old :-)
    Dee