Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another 'best strings' post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman
    I went ahead and ordered $30 of strings from Webstrings to see how they are. Got some 9's and 10's to try on the Strat and Hagstrom and a set for the mandolin.......my mandolin is 18 months old and the strings have never been changed but I've not played it all that much.
    I don't expect these strings to be superior quality but I'm hoping they are very good at least.
    You are going to be VERY pleasantly surprised. I'd put webstrings up against any of them.
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

What model Hagstrom are you putting them on?
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mapka
    What model Hagstrom are you putting them on?
    It's a Swede (not the Ultra) but I bought some 9's for my 74 Strat. I've found it's a bit faster with 9's. The PRS and Swede have 10's.

Post Thanks / Like

These days I'm using Ernie Ball 12-56s on my Jackson (tuned to drop C) I find it's actually easier to play fast riffs with plenty of tention. I do have big Sasquatch hands though lol so I guess they're not for everyone
    Last edited by Waylanderau; January 6th, 2011 at 11:47 PM.
    My gear:

Jackson RR3
    ESP/LTD M-200 - For Sale PM for details
    Monterey Stage Series Strat copy

Ibanez TBX150H Head + Cab

Like melodic, groovy metal? Check out my band Trinatyde on facebook/myspace

Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap! Those are some heavy gauge strings. I don't know how you do it, man.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Well, bear in mind that I'm tuned a whole step down and my bottom string is another step below that. Tention-wise it's actually not a lot tighter than a set of 10-52s in E standard. The sheer fatness of the strings takes some getting used to (my bottom E string is bigger than our bassist's D string) but your fingers adapt very quickly. As previously stated I have big hands and I'm a pretty physical player so with lighter strings I find I end up bending or bashing them out of tune. On my LTD tuned to standard I'm using 11-49s, that way there's not too much difference in tention when I want to swap guitars.
    My gear:

Jackson RR3
    ESP/LTD M-200 - For Sale PM for details
    Monterey Stage Series Strat copy

Ibanez TBX150H Head + Cab

Like melodic, groovy metal? Check out my band Trinatyde on facebook/myspace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12