Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Pickup Feedback - The Good Kind

Thread: Pickup Feedback - The Good Kind

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pickup Feedback - The Good Kind

Ok, I am pretty new still to all this... I happen to have a guitar with Humbuckers in it that has a natural feedback which to me sounds nice at certain times and can be controlled in the most part... Actually the first set of pickups I have noticed this on and to my liking..

Question: Is it because they are cheap pickups? Settings? Will supposedly better pickups stop this? (dunno if I want it stopped)

When playing alone... it kinda keeps the sound going when you adjust to another area.. I am just curious as to why this usually happens as I would have thought my cheap single coil pickups would also do it but they do not.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand, cheaper pickups are generally more prone to feedback than better ones. But if (1) you like it and (2) you can control it, sounds like not such a bad thing at all! As you mention, it can be a very effective tool for sustain.

Guitar construction also makes a big difference. Hollowbody and semi-hollowbody guitars are generally much more prone to feedback than solid bodies. My Dot certainly shows this to be true. I've read comments about certain hollowbodies (vintage models, in particular) where uncontrollable feedback was such a problem that the guitar was essentially unplayable at higher volumes.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely what Voodoo says.

You can still get that sweet feedback with better pickups. It just may happen differently than with your current set up.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks guys.. I have seen some players will even turn towards their amps and get right on top of them..I am assuming this is to create feedback and the better pickups need this type of abuse to get it, or is that just showmanship? Im enjoying the feedback but they are cheap pickups.. kinda makes me want to buy another guitar just like it to make sure I have one with and without the feedback.. (oh heck...more money spent)

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like the feedback from the pickups, then it's all good.

I'm one of those that "gets up on top of the amp" to get the feedback going. We don't play with thunderous stage volume and I need to be close to the amp to get that guitar singing.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

And to the gentleman above who features Mr. Frank Zappa as his avatar. Zappa used to modify his guitars with a special circuit to enhance its feedback characeristics, which he, in turn, would twist and fandangle into some of the most amazing sounds ever released on this planet, or other alternate universes.

Should you choose to exploure the above comment further, you may want to immerse yourself in a copy of Zappa's un-dubbed, all-live-recorded "Guitar" release (1988 - Barking Pumpkin Records). I equate it to a Salvadore Dali painting done with a guitar & amp. Pure genius.

BTW - it's not recommended for children or Republicans.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to find that.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    And to the gentleman above who features Mr. Frank Zappa as his avatar. Zappa used to modify his guitars with a special circuit to enhance its feedback characeristics, which he, in turn, would twist and fandangle into some of the most amazing sounds ever released on this planet, or other alternate universes.
    Mr.Zappa was truly a fantastic guitarist! You can see his son Dweezil demonstrating FrankĀ“s SG if you go to http://www.guitarplayertv.com/ and click artists/dweezil. Amazing stuff!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why cheap pickups would feedback more. Since feedback is just the strings being vibrated with the sound from the amp, I can't see what the pickups have to do with it. Maybe it's because guitars with cheap pickups in them have body wood or hardware that is resonates more from external sound waves, or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinky-Winky
    I wonder why cheap pickups would feedback more. Since feedback is just the strings being vibrated with the sound from the amp, I can't see what the pickups have to do with it. Maybe it's because guitars with cheap pickups in them have body wood or hardware that is resonates more from external sound waves, or something like that.
    I guess that "cheap pickups" might lean a tad towards the microphonic side with less than well accomplished (or complete lack of) potting, but that's usually not the sweet harmonic feedback that makes you smile. Pickups have a great deal to do with feedback. Low output pickups resist feeding back - they're just not hot enough to send those subtle string vibrations to the amp. Hotter pickups are more than willing to do this - you don't have to work too hard milking that feedback out of the rig.
    Last edited by Plank_Spanker; December 5th, 2006 at 06:47 PM.