Thread: Keepin' the neighbor kids up again...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keepin' the neighbor kids up again...

Poor guy - I mean, we have like 12-15 feet between our houses and I'm rocking out with my Mustang I and the Delta King and the guy says his kids can't sleep. I just don't see how that's possible, but I was playing so I guess they can hear it!

Had run-ins with the guy before when I was playing bass - his wife really doesn't care for me lol!

Oh well - love those new GFS Fat Pat's in the Delta King though!
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer. Maybe headphones or something? I hate having to be considerate of others when it comes to noise, but look at it this way: you could live above him. That would allow for almost no volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I'm lucky in that a very good friend has a photography studio/jamming studio in his house and recently, one of his neighbor politely hinted that for years they've put up with his late night jamming so, he decided to spend some money. He bought one of the top levels of Quiet Rock and we spend 2 weekends adding it to his room.
    You would not believe how much difference it's made. You may still feel some of the bass punches and bass drums if you're close to his house but the neighbors say they can't hear a thing.
    Might not be economically feasible for you but it's something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like

A possible response...

"I'm sorry I was so loud that I woke your kid up. Hey, while you're here, do you have any song requests?"

I didn't know the little 20 watter Mustang could get that loud.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman
    I'm lucky in that a very good friend has a photography studio/jamming studio in his house and recently, one of his neighbor politely hinted that for years they've put up with his late night jamming so, he decided to spend some money. He bought one of the top levels of Quiet Rock and we spend 2 weekends adding it to his room.
    You would not believe how much difference it's made. You may still feel some of the bass punches and bass drums if you're close to his house but the neighbors say they can't hear a thing.
    Might not be economically feasible for you but it's something to think about.
    So that's soundproofing drywall? How did you put it up? Just over the existing drywall? I didn't even know they made such a thing, so that's useful knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

We used a special glue.....green stuff that my friend was told was made for it but we also put in lots of screws as we knew the vibrations would sooner or later loosen it.
    Some of it was directly over drywall. And, since the house was originally built with a garage, he covered the inside of the garage door with the same insulation that put on houses for weather proofing, then the Quiet Rock and then, he even added some thick, heavy black vinyl soundproofing since there was no sheetrock there.
    Quiet rock comes in different thicknesses and his was HEAVY. When the top had to be covered, it took 4 of us to raise it. Lots of aspirin that weekend.
    http://www.quietrock.com/quietrock-d...FcpQ2godYx6nBA

I can't find it now but there was a sound sampling online that allowed you to see how each type of Quiet Rock was able to dull sounds. The link above has lots of info but you might want to talk to your local home store for info as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have several neighbors that create plenty of noise issues, ranging from working on extremely loud cars and/or extremely loud power tools, incessantly barking dogs, parties, screaming kids, fireworks at all hours, etc. The upside of this is, I don't care one bit about playing too loud that it would disturb a single one of them. When my own child is sleeping, I play low enough so as not to wake her. Otherwise, all bets are off.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    A possible response...

"I'm sorry I was so loud that I woke your kid up. Hey, while you're here, do you have any song requests?"

I didn't know the little 20 watter Mustang could get that loud.
    It was only on 4 1/2 too!
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe put the amph in a different location? A couch or something along the wall that is closest to them can break up some of the sound waves and less might transfer over to their house. It would be a shame to crush your groove. Know what I mean?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm lucky when it comes to neighbors. The "amph side" of my house is next to a sweet, elderly woman's house who is usually in Hawaii. The distance is about 25 feet, plus we both have brick on the outside and a double glass windows that don't face the other house. No neighbors along the back yard.

So, maybe a Fender Twin will work?
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor kid came by one day and said he liked my bass playing.

Other than that, the wife will sometimes close the jam room door if she's watching TV.

I have really great neighbors all around.

We have full band rehearsals at the guitarist's house and sometimes late-night jamming parties that are really loud. I don't know how his neighbors put up with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Progrmr, we've done a $$$ collection and have hired this guy to come down to your place and play in front of your neighbors house to take the heat off of you for keeping the 'rug rats' awake at night.

Hope this helps your situation!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

^^HAHA! Freakin' Awesome!
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for being a good neighbor and all. But there are over 7 billion people on the planet these days, and the number is growing. Chances are good you might hear some of the others. If his wife is not too fond of you, she may be making a mountain out of a molehill. She might be able to hear you, but perhaps the volume is quite reasonable and not really preventing kids from sleeping.
    A decibel meter can now be as common as an app in a smartphone. Get someone to take a decibel reading while you crank it up inside the house.