Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone stream Netflix?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone stream Netflix?

I'm considering streaming Netflix.

We have a Wii that is connected to the computer via the wireless router. My questions are: does it stream well and fast enough not to be glitchy when watching movies? Do movies stream smoothly into the computer?

I'm just wondering how consistent the service quality is and what potential issues to expect. Your input is much appreciated.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

My son's been home from college for Christmas break and brought his Xbox 360 home and it's connected to our Wireless G (not N) network. He's using his roomates account while he's out of the country and has had no trouble at all. I was very surprised that it worked so well wirelessly on a simple G network.
    He did nothing out of the ordinary as far as set up.

I tested Netflix using W7 Media Center for Microsoft early last year for just a few weeks and it worked fine on my computer. I don't use it so I cancelled my trial but streaming was not a problem for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it pretty regularly, and it's fine with my connection (wireless DSL connection to an XBOX 360). The only thing you may want to be aware of is the movie selection is pretty lacking - if you already know that, and just want to know about the streaming quality, then I'd say there's no problem at all. I have only very rarely had anything I've been watching be interrupted even momentarily - much less often than as with DVDs due to scratches or whatnot.

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Pedals: Too many to list - 90% of them of my own making.

Visit me on the webz: pedalbuilder.com

Post Thanks / Like

We use it on the Wii at home. It's great.

Post Thanks / Like

We just signed up, and intend to get rid of cable.

For $15.00 a month, you get unlimited movie streaming, and 2 DVDs at a time to your door.

Quality is good, depending on the speed of your connection. With our current crappy service, it pauses to adjust once during the movie, then usually runs fine for the rest of the movie for us.

The current price for us right now is $8.00 a month with no extra DVDs.

We don't watch any network TV, and keep up with the news online. We're both movie hounds, so this will fit our needs perfectly, and save a good chunk of money every month.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We stream via the Wii. Quality on some movies is low, especially cartoons that the girls like to watch. The Wii isn't HD, so I'd be interested to hear about the quality of those streaming using something higher resolution.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a slower connection and stream wireless to our Blu-ray player. What we do is start the movie, then pause it, let it load a bit, then we can usually watch no problem. Our local ISP is our weak link, not Netflix.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, but I typically have just watched on the iMac as it has a big enough screen for now, and our tv is old. When we replace the TV, we will set it up to stream to the larger screen. It seems to play the movies just fine on my iMac.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I stream Blockbuster through my Blu-Ray, which is pretty much the same thing. We have DSL, and it's not that fast, but I've had no problems streaming movies. I just wish they'd have them in HD, but I imagine even with the compression, my DSL wouldn't be quite fast enough.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

In November (I think) Netflix came out with a native PS3 app. I tried it and we liked it enough that we have basically canceled our cable. We only have local channels. I've got a 3 megabit cable connection and there's never been a single problem with pausing during a playback. I haven't watched a ton of HD content with it (at least not stuff where HD would make a huge impact, like action movies, etc.) but the stuff we have watched looks great, e.g. the BBC's Top Gear. It's probably not has high quality as if you had it on Blu-Ray, but that's not troubling to me.

I've got a huge list of stuff in my instant-watch queue, including: Faulty Towers, Hitchhiker's Guide (the BBC version), Red Dwarf, Kids in the Hall, Top Gear, etc. I've heard that Netflix is offering the major networks ungodly amounts of money to get brand new shows on their service. We'll see if that happens. DVDs come very quickly. I mailed one out today. I should have another one from my list on Saturday.

You get a free month trial, so you can try it for yourself to see if you like it. Just make sure to cancel before the month is over.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I've got a huge list of stuff in my instant-watch queue, including: Faulty Towers, Hitchhiker's Guide (the BBC version), Red Dwarf, Kids in the Hall, Top Gear, etc. I've heard that Netflix is offering the major networks ungodly amounts of money to get brand new shows on their service. We'll see if that happens. DVDs come very quickly. I mailed one out today. I should have another one from my list on Saturday.

You get a free month trial, so you can try it for yourself to see if you like it. Just make sure to cancel before the month is over.
    We've had it for a few months and have really enjoyed it. Not only do we watch it on the Wii (3 mb DSL connection), but my youngest daughter watches lots of tv shows on her laptop. I can only remember one time that it drug a little, but that was only for a few seconds. It's worth the $9.99!

Oh, and Marnold, I LOVE Fawlty Towers! John Cleese at his best! I've even got the DVD collection of all the shows.
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using netflix for about 3 months now and I can't tell you how many hours I've logged using the streaming. I've not used the Wii app, but I have used the XBox360 app and my blue ray player app.

The XBox360 app is GREAT - if you start streaming and your connection slows down, it will slightly degrade the quality automatically so you can continue watching uninterrupted. If your connection gets better it will also increase the quality automatically.

My blu ray doesn't do that - it will stream, but if the connection slows it will pause, load ahead a few seconds, then play, then pause...can get annoying but it's not Netflix's fault is the connection.

I have 15Mb road runner but it does slow down at times. Overall the experience has been fantastic and the number of hours I've logged watching movies/shows makes it well worth the money. I can also have 1 DVD out to me at any given time because not everything is available on the streaming. I can usually get 2 movies a week if I watch them the day I get them in the mail.
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

ok i have a q about netflix....can you watch two/three different movies on two/three different devices at the same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    ok i have a q about netflix....can you watch two/three different movies on two/three different devices at the same time?
    That's a really good question.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a good question... I don't really see why not, though.

Wouldn't it be the same as if two computers on the same home "network" watch two different YouTube vids at the same time?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure. Unfortunately I can't test it for you either. Netflix doesn't support Linux, which is the only thing on all of my computers. I'm guessing that I would run into bandwidth issues on my Internet connection pretty quickly.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Wouldn't it be the same as if two computers on the same home "network" watch two different YouTube vids at the same time?
    yes but i was thinking netflix might limit you to only one stream per account? that would be a deal breaker for me....
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

yes but i was thinking netflix might limit you to only one stream per account? that would be a deal breaker for me....
    I called them and you can stream multiple episodes at the same time to different units. Cool.

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried it and it does work to stream to 2 different units at the same time.

Thanks to everyone for their input too. I went ahead and am now 2 hours into my free 30 day trial and all I have to say is .... WHEEE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast