Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TGP inspired: how do you like modelers for live use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigJD
    It was just another learning curve and adjustment to get used too, but now I prefer to go this route, AND the owners keep on booking us!
    That's good to know. I think I might just need some more patience, in addition to what's already been mentioned in this thread.

I guess my mind might not be made up just yet, but it's always easier not to spend money, so I guess I'll do that and try to make it work in the meantime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a GSP1101 by the way. I like the foot-controller that is made for it and the editing software is great too.
    One of the things I have done that helps me to know what it sounds like out front is that I set-up one of my FOH speakers as a monitor when I'm preset editing. This way I KNOW what my audience is hearing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The first 'modeler' I ever sold quite a few of was Alesis Quadraverb GT back in '92 or so. Quite a few dance band players who didn't use rock drives really just loved them.

If I were to embark on again gigging frequently and lugging my own gear around, I'd definitely go the modeler route to PA, no question about that. In the end, the audience usually can get a better experience and the stage volumes etc. are way nicer. I don't know which ones though, I'd have to look into that. I don't very much like any Line 6 drive sound I ever heard (it's always the same thick saturation buzz) except at very low volumes, so maybe I'd try Vox or something first, or maybe get a JMP-1 again and build my own 'modeler' rig with it.

As I just play for my own pleasure etc. and I'm very particular of the type and sound of overdrive I want, them toob amps still rule for me. In contrast, the Line6 rig the other guy uses sounds like utter s*it both to me and him; if we both used one and rigged them via the PA we'd be happy with it but when you compare such a thing to playing a proper rig, well it's clear as day which is better.

BUT say a casual listener hears our practice...I'm 100% sure it'd sound much better, quieter and more clear with modelers. As it is, anybody within 20 metres needs ear protection and I'm sure it sounds quite a mush to anybody listening. No way you could hear vocals well enough to hear if I sing in English or in Chinese, or hear the drums very well in spots for instance (except crash cymbals) - all of which would be much better if we used PA and D/I gear. But it's a LOT of fun to make a helluva noise too...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12