Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

New Vintage Modified Squiers!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Vintage Modified Squiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Vintage Modified Squiers!

A Jaguar and a Jazzmaster. The Jazzmaster's got it goin' on, IMHO. They took out all the switches and that goofy vibrato unit, created a new bridge (already radiused at 9.5", same as the fretboard), slapped on a maple FB neck at 25.5" scale.

I'm in total guitar GAS induced lust over the blonde Jazzmaster.

Check it out! http://squierguitars.com/products/se...uitars&cat=new
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    A Jaguar and a Jazzmaster. The Jazzmaster's got it goin' on, IMHO. They took out all the switches and that goofy vibrato unit, created a new bridge (already radiused at 9.5", same as the fretboard), slapped on a maple FB neck at 25.5" scale.

I'm in total guitar GAS induced lust over the blonde Jazzmaster.

Check it out! http://squierguitars.com/products/se...uitars&cat=new
    All of which really makes it something other than a Jaguar for the Fender purists. Like the JM, though
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I'm liking that jazzmaster...have to play one though. The CV's are a tough act to beat.
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    All of which really makes it something other than a Jaguar for the Fender purists. Like the JM, though
    Agreed... There will be a hue and cry from those who believe that the Jag and Jazz were perfect Leo creations, never to be trifled with. But, even Leo modified his designs when he went and formed G&L...

Progrmr, I believe you're right, too. I think that the new models won't sell like the CV Teles, either, because it's a different shape than Tele or Strat. I doubt the closest GC will even stock any, as they have an inventory of 70% Strats, 20% LP types, and 10% everything else.
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! They have some other new models that look really good too. How about this? http://squierguitars.com/products/se...tno=0301028540
    Simon Neil Stratocaster
    Alder body, Alnico, 3 and 5 pickups in Fiesta Red!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool! I don't know if they should be named after the originals, but regardless, these are interesting.
    The Jag...

The Jazz...
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why they decided to use humbuckers in the Jag? The original has single coils. I think I'd really miss all the tonal options without the switches. A 64 Jaguar was the first electric guitar I owned. For the life of me I can't figure out why I sold it, other than I must have been pretty stupid when I was younger.

It's interesting to note that the Jag gets 22 frets while the Jazz gets 21.

Post Thanks / Like

...and...a midi controller guitar. WOWSA!

http://www.fender.com/promos/2010/ro...wheretobuy.php

Post Thanks / Like

I'm loving that Jazzmaster, too. I had an SX Jazzmaster-style guitar, and I never really bonded with it due to the chunky neck, but I did love the style and the P90s. I'm going to have to check out one of those Squiers when I get a chance.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting....*twirls implied metaphorical handlebar mustache*
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Interesting....*twirls implied metaphorical handlebar mustache*
    Which would make a great name for a band: Matt and the Metaphorical Mustaches.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I wonder why they decided to use humbuckers in the Jag? The original has single coils.
    My guess is Squier is still going after an entry-level teen/garage-band market that likely wants a fuller humbucker sound coupled with pawn-shop vintage styling than the quintessential surf-tone that Jag single-coils were noted for.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    My guess is Squier is still going after an entry-level teen/garage-band market that likely wants a fuller humbucker sound coupled with pawn-shop vintage styling than the quintessential surf-tone that Jag single-coils were noted for.
    Well put. I think you are right on target. Kids desires = sales. Ca-ching.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a VM Jazzmaster the other day in Butterscotch Blonde and I love it. It sounds suprisingly good and the neck feels just right. At first I had my reservations about the concentric knobs and the Strat-style jack plate and Danelecto-esque bridge, but these guitars are put together rather well consideriing what they cost. I actually like that it's got a hardtail bridge rather than the Jag/Jazzmaster vibrato assembly. Don't really use them anyway, so it's not a feature I will miss. Overall, I think these modifications were a nice touch. I wonder if the original Jazzmasters would have been more popular back in the day had they been designed like the VM Jazzmasters.

Sorry for the poor quality pic. The guitar looks much better in person than in the picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's a sweet guitar, Kestrel. Excellent value.
    I saw a few being un-boxed last week at my local GAS station but didn't have a chance to pick one up and play it. I'd like to hear the pickups in action.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Kestrel. Those have some great toanz.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to have to try one of those out this week.
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

The VM Jazzmaster does sound very nice. The maple neck is a little bit chunkier than what you'll find on an MIM Strat, but it's very playable and the frets are nicely dressed. I'm surprised at how nice these single coil Duncan Designed Jazzmaster pickups sound. Fit/finish is also better than what I've seen on Squier Standards and they actually come very close to the Classic Vibe series. Hey, it's a $300 guitar so I can't complain. The only thing that needed to be addressed on VM Jazzmaster was that the concentric knobs were a bit sticky. In other words, if you rolled back on the tone you would also roll back on the volume. Not sure if this was an issue with my particular guitar, but saturating the knobs with Contact Cleaner fixed the issue considerably.

Incidentally, I got a chance to mess with the Fender Blacktop Jaguar as well (although I wish they had a Blacktop Jazzmaster I could have tried) and although it too departs quite a bit from the original Jaguar design, it's a very nice guitar for the price. The neck feels nice and the frets are nicely dressed. Got to look at a Fender Blacktop Tele too and even though the Blacktops don't come with gig bags and are priced l$50 bucks less than the Mexican Standards, they seem to have better fit and finish than the Mexican Standards. Say what you will about Fender, but I have to applaud them for releasing such cool looking and playable guitars at prices that anyone can afford.

Post Thanks / Like

Beauty of a guitar, Kestrel! Thanks for the pics and review, and congrats!
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast