Thread: I'm new, tell me what's up

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm new, tell me what's up

Hello all. First of all let me introduce myself. My name is Tim and I'm 54 years old. I grew up with a mother that taught piano and accordion for 54 years before she passed in 2000. She never had the patience to teach me piano but I made it through the blue book a couple of times. I took up the trumpet in 5th grade (1965) and played it through my first year in college. I was really good but could have been great if I had stuck with it. Sex and drugs and rock and roll was my demise! Believe it or not, The best paying gig I had started in eight grade in a polka band! We played every Friday and Saturday almost every week and I made about $70.00 - $100.00 bucks a week. Righteous bucks dude!! About my sophomore year in high school I joined a rock band that had 2 singers, 2 guitars, me on trumpet, 2 trombones, bass, and drums. Here in Oklahoma our local TV station had a program called "Ronnie Kay and the Scene", and we were a teen hop band. The program was like American Band Stand but just local. They booked allot of our gigs so we we were always playing some where in OK. Even got on TV a couple of times. We played just about everything that was top ten back then and especially Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears, Ides of March, and everything else that had brass. The lead guitar player of that band is what made me turn to guitar. He had played guitar since he was five and he was the oldest member of the band. (22 or 23) Man he was awesome. He could hear something and just play it! It turned out that when I went to Wichita state for college he went too and was my room mate. I was a music major but found out real fast that I didn't want to be a teacher and a performance degree on trumpet was too much for me at eighteen. Like I said before "sex and drugs and rock and roll". Any hoo when I dropped out of college I traded in my sister's classical guitar for a 65 SG and things have never been the same. A friend of mine that had played guitar in high school stage band showed me three chords. The E chord, the A chord, and the one you plugged into the amp. The rest has been a life long enjoyment of guitar in bands and here of late just home studio and my 23yr old son who does his own acoustical thing but still likes to challenge me on figuring out the songs he's into. Trumpet wise, about all I ever do any more is play taps for our local cemetery on Memorial Day. I taught my daughter to play and she played until she went to college this year and decided to lay off for a year but the band director at Alva wants her to join next year. My gear is mostly retro old stuff. A 78 Gibson "The Paul" with the original "dirty fingers" pick ups, a Ibanez "Road Star" with EMG passive pick ups, and a Gibson Lab series amp. I started my recording with a Tascam 4-track and then went to Alesis adat 8-tracks and currently am using a Zoom 16-track. Two synths, Korg m-1 and a alesis quadrasynth. I still use my Roland MC-50 sequencer and a Alesis D-4 drummer. I've tried to go computer but I still prefer the stand alone items. I like all of the advantages of computer gadgets but I still like to do it in one take live. My latest toy is a Vox Tonelab LE amp modeler that kicks a$$ with old vintage tube sounds. I'm really looking forward to checking out this forum and I think that I'll learn allot from everyone.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Great intro, and welcome, broke okie! Glad to have you here.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

HI and welcome to the forum. We love paragraphs and guitarists. Hope you enjoy yourself here.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome man, I'm a newbie too and I have to say this is one friendly place
    Hopefully see you around the traps.
    My gear:

Jackson RR3
    ESP/LTD M-200 - For Sale PM for details
    Monterey Stage Series Strat copy

Ibanez TBX150H Head + Cab

Like melodic, groovy metal? Check out my band Trinatyde on facebook/myspace

Post Thanks / Like

That was a great introduction.
    I'm also 54 and happy to see another "older" member...You may have heard the saying.."The only things better than "youth and enthusiasm" are "age and experience".

Greetings and welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to The Fret, broke okie (brokie? ).

What part of OK ya' from? I spent a few years in Tulsa in the early 80's going to school and got to witness some great and not so great punk and new wave bands tour through.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome !!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Tig, I live on a farm north of a little town named Garber which is about 30 miles NE of Enid, OK.
    Spudman, Sorry about the long winded paragraph and the trumpet content. I promise to stay on track with guitar related topics.
    Thanks again for the welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by broke okie
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Tig, I live on a farm north of a little town named Garber which is about 30 miles NE of Enid, OK.
    Spudman, Sorry about the long winded paragraph and the trumpet content. I promise to stay on track with guitar related topics.
    Thanks again for the welcome.
    Now we have a problem. You think I was serious? Not even. We just like to occasionally razz some of the new "mature" guys to make them feel more at home. Post freely and post often. Sounds like you have a lot of experience to share with us.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Razz-on

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Now we have a problem. You think I was serious? Not even. We just like to occasionally razz some of the new "mature" guys to make them feel more at home. Post freely and post often. Sounds like you have a lot of experience to share with us.
    Good, I can take it. Don't know about the experience, I've forgotten more than I've learned over the years.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Tim! Great to have you here!

Yeah, hit enter a couple of times once in a while, it makes it easier to read.

Great intro! Make yourself at home here.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like