Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

I'm going to see this tomorrow....
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm going to see this tomorrow....

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm going to see this tomorrow....

Since playing a couple of Historic Series '59 Les Paul Reissues (a.k.a "R9s") lately and being mightily impressed, I had started seriously considering looking around for one to buy, if the price was right. That's a big "if"! Between some healthy pedal sales (I'm backlogged through May at the moment) and selling some current gear, I should be able to swing one pretty readily, if I can keep the price to ~$3K or less. Problem is, most of them seem to go for $4,500 and up.

Anyway, I had been looking at eBay every few days to get a sense of what's available for what kind of price, and one turned up late last week with a $3000 min. bid, $3300 BIN. Problem was, unlike most of these guitars, it lacked the Gibson "Certificate of Authenticity" and the original brown "Lifton" HSC was no longer with it, either. Since most of these guitars seem to be bought by collectors who seek these things, it's price was substantially lower. The guitar was also stated as having some degree of playing wear, further depressing its value to these collectors. Normally,I wouldn't have been interested, but the seller listed the location as "upstate NY". That opened the possibility that I might be able to actually see & play the guitar, if his location wasn't too far away. So I sent him an e-mail and--lo and behold!--he's only about a half-hour drive away.

Next, I posted some of his photos at the MyLesPaul forums to have some "expert eyes" check it out. Good news--everybody who looked at it agreed that the guitar was genuine and consensus was that it was priced fairly for the condition & lack of CoA.

The next problem was that there was no way I'd bid that kind of money on the guitar without seeing it, and I couldn't get there before the auction ended. So I had to just hold my breath and hope it didn't sell. It didn't. So I called the guy and am planning to see it tomorrow. He's even agreed to give me "first refusal". So we'll see where it goes....

As I mentioned, he had posted some nice photos--here's a couple:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks sharp DVM, hope it turns out to be a good one. We're guitar players, not collectors. That guitar was meant to be played, so if it has a couple of miles on it already... so be it!

Good luck tomorrow!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, cool man! That's twice the price of my used Suhr!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you serious? And you haven't consulted with your buddy Rob about this?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    We're guitar players, not collectors. That guitar was meant to be played, so if it has a couple of miles on it already... so be it!
    That's exactly my philosophy on this--if I buy it, it's not to squirrel away in a closet or to put on display. I plan to play it--often and with earnest intent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Oh, cool man! That's twice the price of my used Suhr!
    I hear ya, RR. This is a LOT of freakin' money. A bunch of ZYS's and Rabid Rodents, and a CLOUD's worth of solder fumes!! But it's the guitar of a lifetime. I've loved 'Bursts since I was 18 years old and saw both Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page each playing one in the summer of '69. Of course, those were original '59s, not reissues!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Are you serious? And you haven't consulted with your buddy Rob about this?
    Been too "dazed and confused", I guess!!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm of the opinion that that CoA nonsense is, well, nonsense. Unless you're purely a collector.
    If it speaks to you DVM, you'll just have to bring it home now won't you?

Post Thanks / Like

That's freakin' sweet! I hope it turns out for you, DVM. I'll be amongst many others here who will be quite jealous.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

....Go get it DVM,it s a once in a life time great Lookin Axe ...

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    I'm of the opinion that that CoA nonsense is, well, nonsense. Unless you're purely a collector.
    I couldn't agree more. The fact that one of these guitars might be worth several hundred dollars less for the lack of a piece of paper seems preposterous to me. It's value is merely in substantiating that the guitar is what the seller purports it to be. And I must admit that the lack of either the CoA or the original Lifton case are a concern to me. Not that the guitar isn't an R9--the "experts" were all in agreement that it was genuine--but rather the legitimacy of ownership. The current seller seems like a straight-shooter, but I don't know him. The fact that he had it up for sale on eBay, complete with photos, would seem to show he has nothing to hide.

Of greater concern to me is that he is not the original owner. Reportedly, the guitar came from Guitar Center, who lost (?) the CoA. Seems a little careless on a $5000 guitar, though I don't put any act of incompetence beyond GC! The possibility always exists that the previous owner was a thief, or the customer of one--expensive guitars are constantly being stolen. Hopefully that's not the case here, but these are all things I'll be checking out when I see the guitar.
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; January 10th, 2011 at 09:08 AM.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    The possibility always exists that the previous owner was a thief, or the customer of one--expensive guitars are constantly being stolen. Hopefully that's not the case here, but these are all things I'll be checking out when I see the guitar.
    Well, that of course is certainly a possibility. But if after your due diligence, all seems legit and you're happy with it, you may as well give it a good home.
    I'm sure you'll be asking all the right questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Sooooo awesome! Man, you will love it. The 59 historic RI is one of the best guitars the market offers, really. I have tried a bunch of 'em and all were great.

Here's the best reissue I have ever heard, enjoy it:
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Phew! I understand your enthusiasm but that is a metric buttload of cash. What does Duh Voodoo Woman think about all of this?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Phew! I understand your enthusiasm but that is a metric buttload of cash.
    100% in agreement on the veracity of your observation here, Rev. W-A-A-A-A-Y-Y more than I've ever paid for any piece of musical gear. Like by nearly a factor of 3....

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    What does Duh Voodoo Woman think about all of this?
    Funny you should mention this, because running this all past "DVW" is the next (and arguably most crucial) step. I saw/heard/played the guitar today, and it is all I hoped it would be, based on the two Historic Series LP's I'd encountered previously. Actually, for playability, I thought it was the best of the three. The neck was PHENOMENAL. And while $3K is indeed one very sizeable chunk of change, it's a very, very good price for an R9 in excellent condition. Plus, being local and from a private seller, I'd pay neither sales tax nor shipping.

The deal I've had with DVW for some time now is that I finance all my gear sales with (1) my pedal sales profits, and/or (2) by selling some of my existing gear, i.e. I don't fuel my particular addiction with family funds. And as I mentioned above, that's not a problem, other than timing. Between cash already in the coffers, pedal orders in hand, and the planned sale of an existing guitar, I am fortunate enough to be able to cover this purchase quite easily....just not at the moment. So it will entail dipping into the family checking account and not being able to pay it back fully until prolly April. So that will be the jist of the spousal discussion. Wish me luck....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Wish me luck....
    LUCK!!!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with DVW...

So, if you're gonna get rid of a guitar, which one is going?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Go for it! You deserve it and you know you won't regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    So, if you're gonna get rid of a guitar, which one is going?
    Can't see having two faded cherryburst LP's, so it would be my Epi Elitist LP Standard:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody's going to get a good deal on a fantastic LP...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Vood, here's my 2 cents:

Barring any major unforeseen circumstances, you know that April will be here before you know it, and the family account will be repaid.

HOWEVER, you don't know anything for sure about the availability of your dream guitar if you don't bite now. And the chances of finding another at that resonable price are possible, but not probable (that is the one MF sells for $5,999, yes?).

To me, it's a no brainer. But it's your decision. I would NOT pass this up!

G
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast