Thread: Connecting iPod to 4x12

Post Thanks / Like

Default Connecting iPod to 4x12

So how do I do it?

A certain little girl turns 16 the end of this month, and for tunes at her party dad wants to connect an iPod (or laptop) to a 4x12 cab. I figure: 1/8" to 1/4" to amp head (100W solid state) to Marshall cab.

Correct? Totally wrong? Stupid idea to begin with??
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not confident....

Yes, the setup you mentioned will get you sound, but it wont be particularly hi-fi.

A guitar amp is designed, tuned if you will, to work at guitar frequencies rather than full spectrum like a hi-fi amp.

The gain structure is going to be all weird too. Expect to tweak the volume of the ipod/laptop and the gains on the amp a bit to get something not distorted. I also suspect as the volume goes up, so will compression and distortion and tunes are going to start to sound kinda crappy.

Lastly, without some kind of Y adapter you're only going to get one channel (as opposed to regular mono) so unless all your tunes are mixed down to mono, you're only going to hear the left or right part of the track which also sounds horrible....

Basically, give it a quick test run and see if it's acceptable, but I'd suggest Jukebox Hire. I've seen them at parties before and they are awesome. Usually the host gets a "master" remote too so you can keep control of volume

Post Thanks / Like

Good points. Think if I patch it through a mixer rather than an amp?
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip
    Good points. Think if I patch it through a mixer rather than an amp?
    Yeah, that'd work much better, especially if the mixer can turn a stereo input into a mono out.

Two issues I can think of though.

1. Your 4x12 is still going to significantly colour the sound, but have a try, it might just be OK for what you want.

2. I'm assuming your mixer is powered right? If not you still need a power amp.

Or scrap the 4x12 idea and go mixer + a pair of powered PA speakers which will definitely work.

Post Thanks / Like

Mixer + PA is the best route. Much better sound.