Thread: What is it about Texas?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is it about Texas?

Maybe this has been brought up before, and forgive me if it has. I was too lazy to check.

What is it about Texas that produces so many killer guitarists? Is it the water down there or something? How many great Texan guitarists can you name? I won't bother, I'll leave that to you folks, but there's a metric buttload to be sure.

Some of my closest friends are Texans (or, to be concise, former Texans, if such a thing exists). Maybe if I moved there, my guitar playing would improve...
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

"Don't mess with Texas"

that's why.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Texas is awfully big, thus more likely to produce guitarists than, say, Rhode Island. Some places just seem to become music hubs: Chicago, Detroit, Nashville/Memphis, New Orleans, L.A., etc.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I was born in Texas, and, after 20 + years of playing, I still suck at guitar. Does that help?

Seriously, the musical landscape is so diverse in this area of the world. In Texas you can find a thriving music scene for just about any genre of music you can imagine. Living near Austin in the early nineties, you could go to Antone's for incredible blues, the Back Room for rock and metal, Emo's for alternative, Top of the Marc for jazz, the Continental Club for just about everything, the Broken Spoke for country. There were clubs on the drag by UT that catered to the punk crowd.

In that time and place, competition for gigs was fierce, and you had to be good, or the club owner wouldn't waste his time to give you a shot to play. At the same time there were places like the Austin Rehearsal Complex (ARC) and the band co-op where bands would practice, and they would all hang out and / or exchange ideas and jam.

To this day it's possible to take lessons from some serious talent, and that helps the musician population to develop and grow. It's a cool place to be for live music, to be sure.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    What is it about Texas that produces so many killer guitarists? Maybe if I moved there, my guitar playing would improve...
    Funny, my brother relocated to Flower Mound (near Dallas) a while back. Recently, when sharing my professional woes with him, he said I ought to move to Texas given that the economy is better and the cost of living is so low, and, he says, you'll be a better guitarist......

You're not the first to think this way. Although currently, I go to the school that produced Roger McGuinn and Steve Earle, among others. But I guess the water and the dust just do something special.

Funny, I was listening to Miles Davis "Jack Johnson" session, marvelling at John McLaughlin, and was wondering the same thing about Britian....what the hell was happening there in the 40's and 50's that gave us such a "metric buttload" in the 60's??

Peter Green
    Clapton
    Beck
    Page
    Richards
    McLaughlin
    Thompson
    Knopfler (came later)
    Gilmour
    Frampton

Don't get me started on the songwriter list!
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo
    Funny, I was listening to Miles Davis "Jack Johnson" session, marvelling at John McLaughlin, and was wondering the same thing about Britian....what the hell was happening there in the 40's and 50's that gave us such a "metric buttload" in the 60's??

Peter Green
    Clapton
    Beck
    Page
    Richards
    McLaughlin
    Thompson
    Knopfler (came later)
    Gilmour
    Frampton

Don't get me started on the songwriter list!
    Yes us brits have produced some of the best guitar players in the World. Not sure about now, i am finding it hard to think of one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitartango
    Yes us brits have produced some of the best guitar players in the World. Not sure about now, i am finding it hard to think of one!
    Think British invasion.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo
    ....what the hell was happening there in the 40's and 50's that gave us such a "metric buttload" in the 60's??
    You want an honest theory? (I love coming up with theories) How about the fact that there might have been less distractions for the youth of the day. No internet, PC or console games, no electronic music and so on.

What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    You want an honest theory? (I love coming up with theories) How about the fact that there might have been less distractions for the youth of the day. No internet, PC or console games, no electronic music and so on.

What do you think?
    Excellent point.
    I believe you're right.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think?
    Add that to the fact that Johnny Winter and his brother probably didn't want to go out in that blazing Texas sun in the summers, and there's a theory.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Add that to the fact that Johnny Winter and his brother probably didn't want to go out in that blazing Texas sun in the summers, and there's a theory.
    You could flip that for the UK and say they didn't want to go outside in the winter too I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

You could flip that for the UK and say they didn't want to go outside in the winter too I guess.
    Good point!
    Let's not forget Canada. Some great talent has come from Canada, where the winters can be brutal.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Coz there's nothing ELSE to do in Texas but play guitar!

Just keeding.....
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Texas... A whole 'nuther country.

Check out Eric Johnson's newest album, Up Close. It sounds like him, but not as structured and more loose/organic that his past albums.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think?
    I agree. Kids play Guitar Hero these days because it is easier.

"Real guitars are for old people." - Eric Cartman

Post Thanks / Like

How many great Texan guitarists can you name? We'll start with the obvious, and the ones already mentioned:

The Winter brothers, Edgar and Johnny
    Eric Johnson
    SRV
    The Reverend Billy Gibbons
    And now, your turn...
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

A few more are listed here.