Thread: Brandnew Rocksong _ ThunderRain

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Brandnew Rocksong _ ThunderRain

Hey friends,

I'd be more than happy to get some feedback from you.

This is my first rocksong since I left the band and my first completed project in Apple's logic.

I did what I can, so please be kind :-)

http://www.box.net/shared/ehupxm666g

Greetz
    Jimi75
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very nice, Jimi!
    I like the composition/song structure, and the lead and rhythm guitar parts sound excellent. The guitar tone and delay are perfect.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Way cool! It's got a Southern US feel to it...and that's a good thing! Good songwriting, lyrics, singing, and the guitar playing... Well, there aren't enough superlatives in the English language to describe how well everything fits together so well.

This would make a great driving tune. Excellent work, Jimi! You sure you don't have any roots in Texas?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive Jimi

I especially liked the start on how if went right into it, then made a sweet transition after 16 bars... excellent stuff!

You should be very proud of this!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Nice guitar sound Jim, kinda reminds me of keeeeeffffffff.

Post Thanks / Like

Great work here. Strong hook and melody. Guitar work is standout as usual. Cupla things I thought -- I'd like to hear what a real as opposed to virtual bass part would do for the tune. Also, there's a chord change that didn't quite sit right for me. It's the second line of the chorus, where you sing sweetness and pain. Whatever chord is under pain doesn't seem quite right, or maybe it's the bass notes used with that chord. Minor thing, and possibly all in my noggin, but I thought it worth observing.
    Wish to heck I could write half that well. Very cool tune.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott
    Great work here. Strong hook and melody. Guitar work is standout as usual. Cupla things I thought -- I'd like to hear what a real as opposed to virtual bass part would do for the tune. Also, there's a chord change that didn't quite sit right for me. It's the second line of the chorus, where you sing sweetness and pain. Whatever chord is under pain doesn't seem quite right, or maybe it's the bass notes used with that chord. Minor thing, and possibly all in my noggin, but I thought it worth observing.
    Wish to heck I could write half that well. Very cool tune.
    Hey man, thanks for your kind feedback. I have relistened a couple of times now, but there's nothing wrong with the bass notes. It's a change from Eb minor to Gb minor which is all in Emajor. It's not the most common chord change, but I had the vocals in mind and played the chords that fit. Yeah, a real bass...maybe someone here on the forum wants to play a real bass to the tune, I could bounce it without bass of course.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

WHoa! Superb tune. And funny coincide with the starting riff - I read the song title and hit play and it sounds almost exactly as one of my favorite Finnish poprock songs of late, 'Salty Rain':

Especially like the vocals, but it's just slightly off in the higher parts. The vocal work needs a tad more attitude there - it'd be absolutely top notch if the last words didn't always go down in note too, you know RA-in, PA-in, if it were unwaveringly just one note pain, rain, and assertively in pitch it'd be way more hard-hitting. I'd use basically just two-three notes for each line in the whole chorus for vox, and it'd be a hit tune 4 sure. And a touch of autotune. But, completely enjoyable a tune and the sort of honest pop-rock style I really like a lot.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    Hey man, thanks for your kind feedback. I have relistened a couple of times now, but there's nothing wrong with the bass notes. It's a change from Eb minor to Gb minor which is all in Emajor. It's not the most common chord change, but I had the vocals in mind and played the chords that fit. Yeah, a real bass...maybe someone here on the forum wants to play a real bass to the tune, I could bounce it without bass of course.
    Well, then, you had the thing scoped out, so bravo. As I said, great tune.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    WHoa! Superb tune. And funny coincide with the starting riff - I read the song title and hit play and it sounds almost exactly as one of my favorite Finnish poprock songs of late, 'Salty Rain':

Especially like the vocals, but it's just slightly off in the higher parts. The vocal work needs a tad more attitude there - it'd be absolutely top notch if the last words didn't always go down in note too, you know RA-in, PA-in, if it were unwaveringly just one note pain, rain, and assertively in pitch it'd be way more hard-hitting. I'd use basically just two-three notes for each line in the whole chorus for vox, and it'd be a hit tune 4 sure. And a touch of autotune. But, completely enjoyable a tune and the sort of honest pop-rock style I really like a lot.
    Thanks for your input deaa. I will see if I can send some verses through something like autotune, if Logic offers such. Getting your okay regarding the composition is really great! And that Finnish band rocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Very catchy! Its got me singing along to it hehe I love it! Great job man and awesome guitar work and guitar tone..makes me wanna drool haha
    Music Teach's You Everything School Can't!

"Guitars sing through the heart and soul alone but need you to put the feeling and passion into the music." Cavell Clearwater (GREENMACHINE)

GUITARS: Sunburst Fender VG Strat Maple Neck, Gibson Custom B.B. King Lucille, Zebra Wood Ibanez EW Series Acoustic.

PEDALS: Eric Clapton Crossroads Effects Pedal, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Boss ME-70

AMP: Randall RG200G

Post Thanks / Like

I've been listening to this song over and over again, and what about to maybe add some more punch and dynamics in the chorus by doubling up the vocals either for all the chorus or just certain parts of the chorus e.g certain words or whatever? Just a thought I had to thicken up the vocals a little to make the chorus jump out a little bit more
    Music Teach's You Everything School Can't!

"Guitars sing through the heart and soul alone but need you to put the feeling and passion into the music." Cavell Clearwater (GREENMACHINE)

GUITARS: Sunburst Fender VG Strat Maple Neck, Gibson Custom B.B. King Lucille, Zebra Wood Ibanez EW Series Acoustic.

PEDALS: Eric Clapton Crossroads Effects Pedal, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Boss ME-70

AMP: Randall RG200G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GREENMACHINE View Post
    I've been listening to this song over and over again, and what about to maybe add some more punch and dynamics in the chorus by doubling up the vocals either for all the chorus or just certain parts of the chorus e.g certain words or whatever? Just a thought I had to thicken up the vocals a little to make the chorus jump out a little bit more
    Definitely a great idea. Thank you for your very kind comment on the song.