Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

What is the best guitar you've ever played? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best guitar you've ever played?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Godin Day!

Me and Mrs. bcdon are on our road trip to California and look what I picked up along the way: A Godin Icon Type 3 with some smoking P90s. I've been jamming with Ampitube on my Mac, man, I can't wait to get this home and plug it in to my amph!

My Godin is in natural colour and it has a fantastic neck, great fret work, and super low action with no buzz.

I'll post some pictures later, but check this out!

Post Thanks / Like

Dude....they just released those I think. They're like top 5 if I decide to drop some more coin on another LP guitar later in life. That's pretty sweet. I'll be expecting a full review...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Don, that's a beauty!

I thought your Epi Zak Wilde was a very sweet-playing guitar, so this one must really be smokin'.

I have cold beer in the fridge if you and the Mrs. want to stop by on your way back north.

Give me a call.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Dude....they just released those I think. They're like top 5 if I decide to drop some more coin on another LP guitar later in life. That's pretty sweet. I'll be expecting a full review...
    Eric, this is really a sweet guitar! (I meant to post this to a separate thread but I'm using free WiFi at a pub and have had a drink or two, sorry about that guys!) That said, this is the best guitar I have ever played. It is so light and the sustain really bites. I love these P90s!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    Wow Don, that's a beauty!

I thought your Epi Zak Wilde was a very sweet-playing guitar, so this one must really be smokin'.

I have cold beer in the fridge if you and the Mrs. want to stop by on your way back north.

Give me a call.
    Thanks, Jason! I think I'm heading back home on Sunday (my wife is away and I have a pretty good buzz so I'm not to certain of the dates). I'd love to stop by and let you check this out.. I'll keep you posted. If not this time, we'll meet up for that beer. I think you'll really dig this guitar! I can't wait to check out your new guitar too!

Post Thanks / Like

I played a Gibson Historic ES-5 (3-P90s) at a show years ago that was really
    fine.
    For an acoustic think it could be a '49 Martin D-18 that belongs to a guy
    in OR.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say my 1968 Gibson SG Special with the P90s. I have owned it for over 40 years and It is still the nicests playing guitar I have ever played.
    Extremely low buzzless action and great tone.
    Anyone who plays this guitars usually goes out and tries to buy one. I have sold a lot of faded Sgs with this one. Notice the Vibrolo and the compensated bridge. Works like a charm and very simple.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I would have to say my 1968 Gibson SG Special with the P90s. I have owned it for over 40 years and It is still the nicests playing guitar I have ever played.
    Anyone who plays this guitars usually goes out and tries to buy one. I have sold a lot of faded Sgs with this one. Notice the Vibrolo and the compensated bridge. Works like a charm and very simple.
    I could be wrong, but didn't you say at one point that playing this guitar made you realize how much better the quality is these days, or something along those lines?

Maybe I'm misremembering...
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Possibly taken a little out of context Eric. What I was talking about was the new bodies made with CNC machines, make these old bodies look crude. If you look at the horns they are somewhat different. I am sorry if I gave you the impression I meant the playability of the guitar. It is simple straight forward and has always been my best playing guitar. Over the years I have drifted back and forth between P90s and Humbuckers. Lately I have been liking the P90s. But I could never find a guitar with such a low buzzless action. I have had every kind of string on it over the last 40 plus years from 08 Labella Ultra Slinkies to 11s. But right now I have the Gibson Britewires and they seem to fit perfectly.
    I took all the strings off it a couple of years ago and cleaned the board and set it up. The action is still the same and hasn't changed a bit.
    I have several friends who have played it over the years and I have standing offers for it. But I won't sell.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I suppose the finest guitar I ever played was a Martin D-45 Marquis with an adirondack spruce top. Like this one:

http://www.dreamguitars.com/products...is_1169754.php

It was about the same era as this one too. I got to play it at the end of a presentation by the Martin reps at the local store that has since closed. The guitar played beautifully, sounded wonderful, and was just plain nice. Worth around 10k street price? Debatable. But probably the finest guitar I have ever held or played.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly taken a little out of context Eric. What I was talking about was the new bodies made with CNC machines, make these old bodies look crude. If you look at the horns they are somewhat different. I am sorry if I gave you the impression I meant the playability of the guitar. It is simple straight forward and has always been my best playing guitar. Over the years I have drifted back and forth between P90s and Humbuckers. Lately I have been liking the P90s. But I could never find a guitar with such a low buzzless action. I have had every kind of string on it over the last 40 plus years from 08 Labella Ultra Slinkies to 11s. But right now I have the Gibson Britewires and they seem to fit perfectly.
    I took all the strings off it a couple of years ago and cleaned the board and set it up. The action is still the same and hasn't changed a bit.
    I have several friends who have played it over the years and I have standing offers for it. But I won't sell.
    Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Post Thanks / Like

I played a PRS Hollowbody II that was probably the most beautiful, and best sounding guitar that I've ever played. It's not the kind of guitar that I'd use as a general purpose gigging guitar, but it really sounded good for what it did.

I've also played some custom shop Gibson 335's that I'd classify as best-of-class in terms of their overall tone.

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous Axe Z ... I d love to own one , one day..
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

I played a G&L ASAT at a guitar store years ago that absolutely was the most resonant guitar I have ever experienced. I never even plugged it in but when you find a guitar that just rings acoustically as much as that did you know it's a great guitar. I should have bought that. In terms of guitars I own, I'll take my Modulus over most other guitars I've played.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Easy no brainer,the next one! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Rob's Suhr Classic while he was off with his family at NAMM in California... but don't tell him!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Rob's Suhr Classic while he was off with his family at NAMM in California... but don't tell him!
    That's okay, it wants to be played!

If you guys ever get the chance to play one of these... oh my! It's only $12,000!

What an incredible guitar that was to play.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Gibson Les Paul... First electric I ever played.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    That's okay, it wants to be played!

If you guys ever get the chance to play one of these... oh my! It's only $12,000!

What an incredible guitar that was to play.

Those two dudes in the background look like they're keeping an eye on you. With your running abilities I bet you could have made a break with that ax.
    Patrick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast