Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

What is the best guitar you've ever played?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best guitar you've ever played?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the best guitar you've ever played?

Seeing as how there doesn't seem to be such a thread on the fret, I thought it would be nice to create one. I'm sure everybody is just itching to brag about their guitars; have at it!
    My favorite tv shows are reruns. Specificly the ones I've seen before; that way I can say "I've seen this before", turn off the tv, and go play guitar some more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quite easy: my Davette, overall.

For specific purposes some may be just a touch better (like my Yammy RG is just a touch better for shredding due to ultralight strings and slightly flatter radius) but overall it takes the cake of all time guitars, rock solid in tuning and playing, light as a feather, thin but not too thin V neck, screams like a mother.

Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

To date, I'd have to answer my Gibson ES-135.

It's versatile. It plays well. It's got great natural tone and takes well to effects. It's everything I hoped it would be.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'll reply after my tax rebate comes back to me. You'll just have to wait and guess until then...
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't played a ton of guitars other than my own, but I think it'd probably be either my Agile AL-3100 or this Godin Session I played in a store once.

I tend to avoid trying expensive guitars, for fear I'd want to own one, so my data here is pretty limited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

A 1968 -- ES 335

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

1988 American made Telecaster. Put some Keystone pups and 4 way switch in. Love the tones and the feel of this one. If I need that Humbucker sound I like my Hagstrom Swede. It has their tremelo system on it and the thing will not go out of tune, no matter how much you use it.

Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamaha SA2200

I work with a guitar collector who has nearly 70 guitars, most of them very good and collectables, some VERY expensive items aswell. The man has everything, like however many Fenders, 8 proper Gibby LPs in various finishes/weights/age and TWO Yamaha SA2200s, a deluxe and a standard model.

For a while, he's given me unfettered access to his collection, allowing me to take a few axes and play them for a month or 2. My fav's have been at # 3his SUPER heavy BLACK LP (can't remember any mroe about it sorry), at #2 a G&L 'Hybrid' - a Tele with birds eye maple neck with STRAT PUPS you get the tele look/feel/sound but mixed with Strat sound - I very very NEARLY bought this but after playing his Yamaha's I was SOLD and bought a SA2200 Deluxe model.

Coil taps mated with Semi Hollowbody and Ebony fretboard allows a HUGE range of tones. Single coil sound no problems, a mix of humbuckers and single no worries....

I have 3 other quite expensive guitars, a Custom Ibanex S series and a Gibby LP and since buying the Yamaha I haven't TOUCHED another guitar..thats how much I love her.....I doubt I will play anything else for a considerable amount of time!

If you're into the whole semi hollowbody thing then you must do yourself a favour and play one of these.....IMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Quite honestly? The only guitar I currently own, the one in my avatar. I've played a few high-end Strats. I thought they were nice, but nothing that made me forget my DK2M. I haven't played any high-end Gibsons except for one Les Paul Jr. which was OK. It had one P90 at the bridge. Realistically, I figure there's no sense playing a guitar I cannot reasonably afford. Heaven help me if I would like it.

Wish I would have had the cash to buy that high-end Spector bass I played back in the 80s. That thing was like buttah.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, Blaze, that 335 is amazing.

Kind of obvious I suppose, but the best guitars I've played, I own.

Maton MS2000DLX SD in Black
    Maton BB1200 w/Brierley B90's In Cherry

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably the Johan Gustavsson guitar I played at NAMM. Incredible guitar.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a tough one. I've played some guitars that I thought were great and then later on I fell out of love with and sold. Others I didn't like at first and grew into. The one which has been my go-to favorite for the last year or so and seems to be 'the best' is my neck-through Agile AL-3000M, stock - no mods.

It's just a great playing guitar and the thing that makes me say it's the best has less to do with any objective tonal qualities and more to do with the fact that when I'm playing it I always play more. During band practice I have to control myself and not noodle in between every song like "that guy." When I'm trying out new amps or pedals I specifically don't use this guitar since I will just love whatever I'm playing through and think it's great.

That being said, I just picked up a '79 Peavey T-25 and so far it's looking like a great guitar. Hasn't supplanted the Agile yet, but - man - nice guitar.

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Pedals: Too many to list - 90% of them of my own making.

Visit me on the webz: pedalbuilder.com

Post Thanks / Like

as for braggin' about MY guitars, theirs not much to brag about. My Larrivee is fine quality solid wood guitar, and get LOTS of use. I have an '97 American Standard Strat that's been on loan to me for about two years now, from a neighbor who doesn't have time to play and would like it to be getting some use. I don't play it much because it's a different scale length than both of my own Gibson copies (washburns, listed below) and would never take someone else's valuable guitar to the places I usually play. That strat would have to be the best quality guitar I have any real exposure to, although both of my Washburns, while lacking pedigree, are awesome guitars, from my limited experience.

The finest guitar I've ever played however is a cool story. I was once handed David Brombergs Martin by his manager, while we sat curbside outside his hotel in downtown Chicago. Not a Dave Bromberg model Martin, like Jorma Kaukonen plays on a daily basis, mind you, but Dave Brombergs Dave Bromberg Model! While I did hold it and pick for a few fleeting moments, I can't say I really got close and personal. Given that I stopped breathing for the duration of the encounter, I can barely remember much more than the fact that it had a weight to it that surprised me and seemed to have a bottom end that made my entire ribcage resonate.

I don't tell that story outside the confines of the school I was working for that day cause most people look at me askance. I've had some other famous guitars in my car, but never got to play them.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    A 1968 -- ES 335

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

The neck on my new Charvel SoCal is unlike any other I've played. It's just so comfortable and effortless. I can play on it for hours (and have). Although the newest guitar in my collection and not even close to the most expensive, I'd have to go with this as being my fave. Did I mention the neck on this is fabulous?

Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Being primarily a bass player, I've gotten to play with quite a few guitarists over the years and they'll usually let me play their instruments. So, I've had the opportunity to play a whole lot of different guitars.

I've gotten my grubby hands on PRS, Strats, SGs, LPs (both Gibson and Epiphone), Steinberger, Agile, Parker, Charvel, G&L, etc.

Unfortunately, I can't really single out any one that really stood above all the others as "the best".

However, for basses my Clement stands above every bass that I've ever played.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    Being primarily a bass player, I've gotten to play with quite a few guitarists over the years and they'll usually let me play their instruments. So, I've had the opportunity to play a whole lot of different guitars.

I've gotten my grubby hands on PRS, Strats, SGs, LPs (both Gibson and Epiphone), Steinberger, Agile, Parker, Charvel, G&L, etc.

Unfortunately, I can't really single out any one that really stood above all the others as "the best".

However, for basses my Clement stands above every bass that I've ever played.

OMG! look again, someone stole your frets!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser

Is that a spalted maple top? Beautiful!

I wanted to buy a first bass recently and had a line on a converted fretless (frets filed down) and was told not to, that I should work with a fretted first.

do you agree?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo
    Is that a spalted maple top? Beautiful!

I wanted to buy a first bass recently and had a line on a converted fretless (frets filed down) and was told not to, that I should work with a fretted first.

do you agree?
    Not necessarily. Depending on how long you've been playing guitar and how developed your sense of pitch is, the fretless might not be too difficult. If that's the sonic direction that you want, then I wouldn't be deterred from it.

I find fretless to be physically easier to play FWIW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast