Thread: My LP Standard

Post Thanks / Like

Default My LP Standard

Cheap Epiphone MIC Les Paul Standard. Plain ol' black.

Got it new under $400 and did a fair amount of setup work myself.

But, this thing plays so nice. I mean really nice, as in better than quite a few $1,000+ guitars that I've played.

Frankenfretter (Sean) gave me a new pickup for the bridge position that I'll put in tomorrow which might give it a good tone kick. However, the stock pickups are quite good in their own right.

I'm playing it right now, and even with my messed up arthritic fingers I can lay it out on this one.

I can say that I'm fairly amazed with this one and I'm now glad I didn't sell it for a GIbby Studio.

Jeez, Epiphone is really doing it right these days!

PS - I'm fairly sure I've posted pics before and just thought I'd share some post-honeymoon thoughts.
    Last edited by NWBasser; January 17th, 2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: wrong term

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lp

Those MIC Epi LP Standards are some real nice guitars in my opinion. Probably close to or on par with the Agile AL 3xxx LP guitars. I have two and they were great stock but I put in Seymour Duncan JB's and a 59 in one and a Jazz in the other.

I left the stock Epi pickups in my G400 Epi SG's and also left the stock ones in my new Epi LP Custom in gloss black - an awesome guitar.

You should be able to have some serious fun with that black LP, without doubt. Even with the stock real decent pickups.

Good luck with it. I hope you bond with it.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Those pickups in the MIC Standards are Epis version of the 490/498. They are as good as any aftermarket pickup. I would only consider changing them for real Gibbies or some good quality Duncans.
    The neck is usually around 7.9 and the bridge 12 to 13.
    I have owned several Epis and I now own a Japanese Elitist with the USA pickups in it, and a new G400 with stock pickups along with a 2001 Sheraton that I really love the stock pickups. The G400s are a little hotter than the LPS.
    I really like the feel of my Elitist LP Custom. It just plays really nice.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, the pickup is a bridge pickup. You should do some before and after clips, Jason.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    Actually, the pickup is a bridge pickup. You should do some before and after clips, Jason.
    Oops, yeah I fixed it.

I have some before clips, so I'll do up some after clips. However, my fingers aren't quite as good as the before clips that I have.