Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Influential Canadian Artists... - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Influential Canadian Artists...

Post Thanks / Like

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Unbeknownst to many, the guy playing guitar here is Canadian...

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah you can crucify me now for mentioning them, but I'd like to mention Nickelback. Excellent songwriting, coll guitar playing. In a way they influended me regarding the songwriting aspect and structuring a song.

I think they have influenced quite a bunch of new and upcoming bands already.
    Last edited by Jimi75; January 17th, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    Yeah you can crucify me now for mentioning them, but I'd like to mention Nickelback. Excellent songwriting, coll guitar playing. In a way they influended me regarding the songwriting aspect and structuring a song.

I think they have influenced quite a bunch of new and upcoming bands already.

Just kidding, Jimi. While not a big fan of their music, I can appreciate their ability to write catchy songs with great hooks. They've been able to apply good pop songwriting principles within a hard rock/metal setting. We haven't really seen much of that since the 80's. At over 20 million album sales in the US alone, somebody must like them
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

One word: Shatner!

-Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Already mentioned in the second post (as they should be!), but Rush is why I picked up the bass and took an interest in playing music. They also occupy the biggest chunk of space on my iPod.

They've also been hugely influential on a lot of newer rock musicians. They may not be the biggest-selling Canadian group, but I'd hazard a guess that they may well be the most influential one.

PS - I had no idea Joni Mitchell was Canadian.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez Louise! No one mentioned Aldo Nova?

Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    T-Ross beat me to Triumph. I always thought Rik Emmett had the best Marshall amp tone. Brings back the best memories of my youth.
    +1

My son and I bonded a couple years back when I had him the car one day and cranked "lay it on the line" and "Fight the good fight". I'm a child of the 80's but not much of the music of that period excites me. Triumph and Rush were two bands that I spent a lot of time with.

I think any of the artists I would have mentioned are here.

Lanois.....I doubt most people realize what a huge impact this man has had on the popular music the last 30 years, and I love that clip!

I'm also a bit Candy Rat Records fan. Some amazing musicians are playing these wood boxes in the great white north, eh?

Don Ross is probably my favorite. While many of these guys - Andy McKee?!?!?! - are tecnically dazzling and excellent, Ross puts a little more lyrically/whimsically into his stuff. Age perhaps.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    One word: Shatner!

If some people are "hams" then Shatner would be the whole pig!

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    They may not be the biggest-selling Canadian group, but I'd hazard a guess that they may well be the most influential one.

PS - I had no idea Joni Mitchell was Canadian.
    Rush is ranked THIRD for most consecutive Gold or Platinum studio albums... behind the Beatles and the Rolling Stones!!! (I was pleasantly shocked and surprised to find this out ). Their tour dates consistently sell out worldwide. They are certainly riding a wave of popularity and critical acclaim right now. I'd venture to say they are the biggest and most influential Canadian group, but I'm a big fan and seriously biased

Not only is Joni a Canadian, spent a good deal of her early years right here in Saskatchewan!
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

A HUGE fan of this band back in the day.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Trev (t_ross33) already posted these guys previously, but this had to be one on my all time favourites albums growing up. Other than Trev and a hand full of others like Ted S, Helliot and Krash... I'm guessing not too many other Fretters are familiar with them.
    Who says all infuences have to be good ones!

Here's a bunch of cuts from 'Frantic City'

Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

SAGA friggin' rocks! I actually preferred them over Rush 30 years ago.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    SAGA friggin' rocks! I actually preferred them over Rush 30 years ago.
    Blasphemy!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    Rush is ranked THIRD for most consecutive Gold or Platinum studio albums... behind the Beatles and the Rolling Stones!!! (I was pleasantly shocked and surprised to find this out ). Their tour dates consistently sell out worldwide. They are certainly riding a wave of popularity and critical acclaim right now. I'd venture to say they are the biggest and most influential Canadian group, but I'm a big fan and seriously biased

Not only is Joni a Canadian, spent a good deal of her early years right here in Saskatchewan!
    Hey T-Ross, I'm extremely biased as well since Rush is my favorite band by a large margin. They've probably inspired more bassists and drummers than any rock band. Funny thing that most bass players and drummers look up to Geddy and Neil, but not that many guitarists would list Alex as their main influence. At least I love playing Rush on guitar as well as bass.

Post Thanks / Like

I see Mahogany rush listed

B.T.O Bachman–Turner Overdrive for sure needs to be on this list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachman...rner_Overdrive
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Dang Maxi beat me to BTO,Hey what about that Robert Renman guy?Excuse me I have to wipe this poop off my nose!LOL! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Shadowy Men On a Shadowy Planet.

Probably best known for this...

An excellent instrumental rock band.

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

From the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Olympic Games at BC Place, kd Lang singing a Leonerd Cohen classic.
    Gearlist:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast