Thread: Guitarport or Toneport?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guitarport or Toneport?

So I'm sittin here in a hotel room with no guitar, but thinkin and reading about related stuff and cruisin ebay. The Line 6 Guitarport and Toneport look affordable, pretty cool, and from what I read, work well with Audacity.
    Anyone have any experience or opinion?
    Thanks......

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Guitar Port and like it a lot. They recently came out with more add-ons for it and it's a pretty serious sound generator. I think the Line 6 sounds are really good. Pretty affordable too.

I'm not sure if you buy a used one whether or not you get support. I got mine new. The only drawback is that it's not portable.

Edit;
    Maybe that isn't true. I'm sure it can follow a laptop computer around.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the guitar port rely on software sounds or does it contain a hardware modeler?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For a little more money you can get the PODxt which will do the same thing. But the PODxt has real knobs that you can grab and adjust rather than clicking the mouse. I use mine primarily as a recording device into cubase by hooking up the USB conncetion. The other advantage that it has over the guitar port is that you can use it without a PC and just plug your headphones or speakers into it and Jam. It doesn't take up too much space in your luggage either.

For a little less money you can get a Zoom G2.1u which will also act as a USB interface to you PC. I've not really tested mine as a recording interface and I don't think it will ever have the backend support that Line6 products have in terms of editing software and patch updates but it's also worth considering. It comes with Cubase LE software for some professional recordings.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Swede
    The Guitar Port's sounds are only software based. You have to have a computer hooked up.

Lev
    XT or the Zoom are both great choices indeed, but those POD patches are definitely the best sounding. I didn't know that the Zoom comes with Cubase LE. That makes it pretty attractive sounding.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a POD xt for sale......end shameless plug
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    They recently came out with more add-ons for it and it's a pretty serious sound generator.
    Can somebody explaine what an "add-on" is. I hear the term a lot but never found out what it stands for.

Thanks.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Can somebody explaine what an "add-on" is. I hear the term a lot but never found out what it stands for.

Thanks.
    It is more software doo dads that make your thingamajig more fun to use.

Is that non technical enough.

It's really just more software that allows more options from the stuff you are currently using. For instance: if you have an IBM type PC and you are running Windows and decide that you want the Microsoft Scheduler and Alarm Clock then those would be considered add-ons. I think. Right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    It's really just more software that allows more options from the stuff you are currently using. For instance: if you have an IBM type PC and you are running Windows and decide that you want the Microsoft Scheduler and Alarm Clock then those would be considered add-ons. I think. Right?
    Or if it was a Dell type PC a subscription to the PC HELP! Magazine could be a much needed add-on.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009