Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Phasing out my pedal business....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phasing out my pedal business....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Phasing out my pedal business....

I've decided that when I finish my "spring campaign" of pedal builds in June, that will mark the end of my little pedal-building enterprise. I may make & sell an occasional pedal as a special project, but the "five or six pedals per month" thing is definitely coming to a close.

I have been considering this for some time, because:

1. These things take a LOT of time to build ( 3 - 4 hours for single pedal is pretty standard, including the finishing, and ZYS's are more like 5), taking significant time away from family and other responsibilities, and....
    2. I started this as a hobby, because I enjoyed doing it, but cranking out 5 or 6 each month is getting to be a chore rather than an enjoyable pastime.

I was actually going to shut it down at the end of 2010, but decided to keep going for another 6 months and put the profits toward that R9 I've been wanting. As of last week, that goal has been accomplished.

Anyway, just thought I'd give the gang here at TheFret a "heads up" as to my intentions. If any of you are interested in a DVM pedal and have been holding off for one reason or another, NOW is the time to make your move! I have just a handful of build slots left open, after which time "the pattern is full."

Thanks to all, especially Robert for his great demo vids, for your support & encouragement in my little pedal endeavor these past couple of years!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Offshore your production to China.

I have collected over 28 pedals over the last 2 years. I am all pedaled out else I'd jump. I've actually been selling a helluva lot of stuff off that was purchased and rarely touched. This hobby of ours is seriously addictive.

Who knows, bro, perhaps I may still acquire a DVM pedal via special build down the road.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bummer, but understandable. Time is more precious than money. Playing time is priceless!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, well that's too bad. You were just getting started.

I guess you can just sit back and noodle on your new Gibson acquisition huh?

You'll probably continue to get requests to your website since I have lots of links going to it. Or else they might start asking me how to get a DVM pedal if your pedal pages are gone!

Upwards and Onwards DVM!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Ah, well that's too bad. You were just getting started.

I guess you can just sit back and noodle on your new Gibson acquisition huh?

You'll probably continue to get requests to your website since I have lots of links going to it. Or else they might start asking me how to get a DVM pedal if your pedal pages are gone!

Upwards and Onwards DVM!
    Yeah, like Robert said. I will miss you doing them, but onward and upward! I love my DVM pedals. I have to look through the rest of what you build and see if I need to sneak in an order before you are done. Thanks for the ones you have sent me so far!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys.

I'm going to post a notice to this effect on my "pedal page", so hopefully you won't get too many people buggin' you, RR!

And I'll still be posting the occasional "pedal project" here at TheFret--they'll just be "one-offs" for my own use as opposed to customer builds. AAMOF, I have an eye on a Klon Centaur clone ("Klon Klone"?) I want to give a try, and I still need to try a Univibe clone build, lighthouse and all.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

DVM, what's an R9?

My first thought was a new Mazda, but that's not it, because those go RX-something..!
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you! Nothing stopping you from ramping things back up in the future if you ever wanted to, but when a hobby becomes a chore... it's time to step back and prioritize!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule
    DVM, what's an R9?
    THIS IS.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule
    DVM, what's an R9?
    Gibson LP re-issues are referred to like that. A '56 LP re-issue is an R6, a '58 is an R8, etc...

I guess they'll never have to come up with re-issue names for the Firebird X!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

DVM, good on ya for making the decision.... That's how big businesses sometimes get started, by producing a product as a hobby... It can get out of control in a hurry when a person does good work.

*Katastrophe now does epic facepalm for not getting a first run ZYS*
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    *Katastrophe now does epic facepalm for not getting a first run ZYS*
    Still got a couple of build slots open for June, Kat!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Major props for making a tough decision like that. For what it's worth, you played a pretty major role in getting me into building my own pedals so that thanks for that. Music is always about expression and inspiring people. I think you definitely achieved that in multiple ways through your excellent craftsmanship and provision of great sounding pedals. Have fun with all that free time!

Post Thanks / Like

Awwww, now who is going to give honest straight up reviews of BYOC's new releases!

I understand your decision though. Plenty of my pedals are actually undercoated, painted, labeled and then 2 pack epoxy coated, so even if you take away build time, tweaking and label design (which often takes me hours), each pedal runs around 5 days let alone 4-5 hours. No way I can make money off that if I put a value on my time.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! My Thesis 96 just shot up in value!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Still got a couple of build slots open for June, Kat!
    Got to get an amph first (still working on that)... I had an amph, and could've found the money during your first run, but was going through a "no effects at all, whatsoever" phase.

Stupid phases.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear of you stopping your pedal business. I know I enjoy the pedals I bought from you. But making pedals takes away from git-playing too.

Maybe one more......the 5 knob compressor perhaps....call it the "Tight Squeeze" with a decal of a python squeezing a rat??

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand what you are saying. When you start a hobby it is fun, you get good at it and the requests come in. When it starts to be a JOB, it isn't much fun any more.
    With the knowledge you have gained in this hobby you should maybe think about doing Mods to existing pedals and amps ala Keely, and Billm. I am sure that would be a lot easier, and you could still make some cash for future GAS.
    There are a lot of BJs out there that could use a standby switch, or an output jack, not to mention the stack mods.
    Just a thought. I am sure you have invested a lot in the equipment to do those pedals. No sense wasting that.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Life is short, have fun while you can. You've got to do what makes you happy.
    But I suspect DVM is going to be back at it before too long ~~~
    I think he's become overly fond of solder smoke, it's somewhat addicting.

There is a fine line between being happily busy and overload. And what may be a nice pace during the winter months can be a burden once the weather turns nice and there is so much yard and outdoor house work that needs to be done. The only thing you can do then is extend wait time but I like to get orders done as quickly as I can after receiving them, having them stack up feels uncomfortable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast