Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yikes, what did I get myself into?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Had another good night. I played decently. I am making progress on the originals, and finding my spots to play. Some moves are becoming licks for me. Those songs are stretching me, because the keys are different and I can't just camp out in minor pentatonic and chord tones. It's coming. Now on the covers, I need to work on getting some signature hooks and licks down that the audience expects. Right now on the covers I don't know, I am just coming up with my own stuff. That is fine, and my stuff fits well enough, but I need the hooks at least on some of the songs.

Gearwise, although I listed my strat as my "weapon" in Robert's thread, this situation really calls for the Hagstrom in most cases. It blends with the acoustic rhythm guitar. And the fact that there is only a bass and no drummer tends to favor the warmer, fatter flavor over the single coil bite of my strat in most of the songs.

Best news of the night though (I am still smiling) is that Johnny looked over at me about half way through and said, "So, should I book a gig?" Sweet! It will be low key at the local brewery. That should be quite fun. Shooting for like sometime in April it sounds like.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Woo-hoo, rock on! Man, you're getting me all wanting to gig and shit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Brian!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good Sunny, I guess you're in for a nice bunch of gigs Cool go and rock the place
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, SVL!
    It sounds like you're this close to becoming a professional musician!

( Which is great, 'cause when the gigs start paying, you can buy more gear...)
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

HaHa, I don't know about "professional musician". But it should be fun. Thanks for continuing support guys.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Into the Mystic was my wedding song. Good song to cover SVL!
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, if you're looking for ideas for "Into the Mystic" here's a nice live version by the current incarnation of the Allman Brothers Band with Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks.

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool! I will check that out. Thanks guys. StingX, that is a great song for a wedding. It was mystifying me a bit so to speak, but I will get it down.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post

Best news of the night though (I am still smiling) is that Johnny looked over at me about half way through and said, "So, should I book a gig?" Sweet! It will be low key at the local brewery. That should be quite fun. Shooting for like sometime in April it sounds like.
    Ok, yikes again. Gig time, friday night at the local brewery. Opening for Abraxas, a well regarded Santana tribute band that is supposed to be the bomb. The gig is official and in the paper and everything. http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005136076 Yikes!! We are mentioned three paragraphs down.

We are going under the moniker for this show of "Those Guys". I think Johnny just kinda threw out a name to cover us for now. It was mis-printed in the paper version of this paper as "Those One Guys". LOL! I might like that even a little better. "Hey, who's opening for that Santana band?" "Hmm, wait, let me think, . . . it's Those One Guys."

We are not being paid, other than free beer, but they are charging a cover because of the other band, so I have been practicing as I would like to sound decent. We will play for about 35-45 minutes with about 5 or 6 of Stonewheat's originals and two or three covers, including probably Wooden Ships, Into the Mystic, and maybe Norwegian Wood. Mellow, sit down and eat dinner before the big band comes out stuff. Should be fun!

Rig will be my Hagstrom, my Peavey C-30, my delay pedal and maybe the boost in my ZYS. I will probably bring my tele for if I break a string or something with my massive bends 2 to 5 step bends. ;-)
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Break a leg Steve!

For me, gigging is where it's at! Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

As always Steve, enjoy yourself. Look forward to hearing about it.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Have fun Steve. Video would be nice...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool stuff, SVL -- I'm jealous. I hope it goes well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good luck Steve, be sure to bring along a video camera!
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, I thought it went pretty well. I had fun anyway. The room was mostly getting toned up with food and beer prior to the main show, but we got a lot of complements and the main band (who was really good) gave us some props as well. I meant to have my daughter film me, but I received some concerning health news about my father, and got a little scattered before the show. (we are hoping that although it is concerning, it will be ok in the long run). I did manage to get all my gear there though! Johnny V. recorded it with a decent recorder so maybe I can post some clips later. I blew one portion of a cover lead, but otherwise was pretty solid I thought. I may have been a little low in the mix. We will see what the tape shows.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done Steve, glad you had a good time. Hope all works out well with your Dad.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the gig. Sounds like it went well for you. I hope your father is ok.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast