Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yikes, what did I get myself into?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Yikes, what did I get myself into?

The rhythm guitarist and lead vocal (Brian Carney) pictured in the vid at the link below (from the early 90's) invited me to join him and the keyboardist and other vocalist (Johnny Valenzela) and a bass player in a regular jam.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1443097202081

These are the guys that put on the Dark Side of the Moon album concert this last summer in Hailey. http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=16125 They are looking for someone to add some fills, leads, lines and basically "ear candy" as Brian put it. They are playing acoustic instruments, but he said I could play electric as long as it fits the vibe. He covers rhythm, but said as I get comfortable, I could add some additional rhythm if it fit. If it goes somewhere, we might perform.

He suggested this song to get the vibe they are going for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0rG2ME4sAc

The songs he suggested I familiarize myself with include

"Goodbye Blue Sky" Pink Floyd
    "Into the mystic" and "Wild Night" Van Morrison
    "Norwegian Wood" if I get to it, by the Beatles.

We have talked guitar, and I have mentioned I enjoy messing with short fills and melody based lead stuff. I also told him, and he knows, I am pretty much a newbie type. Still, I feel I may have jumped into water over my head. He told me it was very loose and casual at this point, and that he was inviting me because I did not have pre-conceived notions. They have no firm plans at the moment, but it may go somewhere if it were to work out. Their prior lead guitarist would just get drunk and wank around horribly.

I talked this over with Spud, and I am going to put on these songs and listen, and hear some fills I could fill space with, and get ready to listen and underplay at first, to just get the feel.

Anyway, in I go. The water is just fine. Time to start swimming!
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; February 19th, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes, what did I get myself into?

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Anyway, in I go. The water is just fine. Time to start swimming!

There, you've answered your own question. You'll be fine, Steve.
    Have fun!!!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome SVL! I am big proponent of the "sink or swim" method. Sounds like your position will offer lots of opportunity to explore creatively without having the pressure of having to carry the gig. I think your playing will grow exponentially in this environment! Good luck, and most of all RELAX AND HAVE FUN!!
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

As evidenced by the following statement, I believe you have the right approach...

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleyaw
    d I am going to put on these songs and listen, and hear some fills I could fill space with, and get ready to listen and underplay at first, to just get the feel.
    I think you'll do fine Steve. I'm interested in hearing updates about how it goes for you. I'm glad for you to get this opportunity.

I know how you feel as I too am about to take the sink or swim plunge. I was just asked by friends to play solo at their wedding which is at the end of February. I'm working on an original composition. That part is coming along rather well, but the playing in front of people part, that's going to be an adventure for me. I have never played in front of people before other than jamming at parties where there were other people who weren't really paying attention. This will be something very different for me, but it's a step I need to take.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys. Yeah, R_of_G, I know what you mean. I have played in front of people before with my student band that used to exist before the young guys moved away to college. But actually, this free forming, just go with it, jam with accomplished musicians makes me a bit more nervous. With the student band, I could learn my part, as everyone did, and we were basically all in the same place. This will take more adaptation on the fly, and I will be playing with guys who have done that together for years.

If I relax, use the KISS method, and go from there, hopefully it will all work out.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great way to learn and have some fun to me. This is sorta what I did when I was teaching myself mandolin (very much still an ongoing process). Some folks I didn't know were looking for a mandolin player, and I was upfront about being a noob, and just went and jammed with them. It turned out I sorta knew their drummer, but at any rate see if it clicks in your case, and if so run with it. I've probably played a dozen or so gigs with the hippie band in my case. Had a ton of fun.

Break a leg!

Post Thanks / Like

Its going to be Awesome Steve! Have fun and enjoy the ride.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Yeah, R_of_G, I know what you mean. I have played in front of people before with my student band that used to exist before the young guys moved away to college. But actually, this free forming, just go with it, jam with accomplished musicians makes me a bit more nervous. With the student band, I could learn my part, as everyone did, and we were basically all in the same place. This will take more adaptation on the fly, and I will be playing with guys who have done that together for years.
    I've played with a bunch of different people in all kinds of variations of instrument combinations in party settings and often some more accomplished local musicians here would be part of it and I would often get intimidated playing with them even though they were mostly friends of mine who were familiar with my skillset. Sometimes I'd get past it, sometimes not.

I suppose on the plus side, at least for my situation, I'm playing solo, a comfotable place stylistically. It's also my first complete original composition which makes a solo performance easier as I don't have to teach it to anyone else.

If I relax, use the KISS method, and go from there, hopefully it will all work out.
    Simplicity rules. Frisell is a huge influence on the piece I'm writing for this. His advice seems most often to be to keep it lyrical and centered on a strong melody which he finds endless ways to phrase.

I'm still not clear on exactly how long I'll be playing so I'm practicing my phrasing to give myself a wide enough pallette depending on how long I have to stretch it.

I wish you the best with it Steve. Your varied tastes in music will serve you well.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

The Deamon's are comming to get ya Sun,Hahahahahahahaha!Now tell 'em to take a flying leap cause you don't care your gunna have fun!Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I think you should really try to make an impression on them. Show up in some very tight polka-dot spandex trousers. Make every fill count--get in as many notes as possible. Put some fake blood tablets in your mouth before the first song and bite into them right before you come in. That will let them know the caliber of person they are dealing with.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Well, I think you should really try to make an impression on them. Show up in some very tight polka-dot spandex trousers. Make every fill count--get in as many notes as possible. Put some fake blood tablets in your mouth before the first song and bite into them right before you come in. That will let them know the caliber of person they are dealing with.
    Don't forget to somehow include fire.
    Breathe fire.
    Set the guitar on fire.
    Catch fire.
    People love fire.
    Fire. Fire. Fire.

Post Thanks / Like

Good going there Steve sounds like a fun ride, enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'll get all Hendrixy and grab Brian's nice older Taylor he will be playing and light that thing on fire. (after all, I don't want to burn my own. . .).
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like some fun Steve!!! Good luck. You gonna play the red Hag?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think I am starting there, as it is primarily an earthy, acoustic vibe they are going for. If you check the vid of them above, their lead guy for their electric band back in the day had a nice strat tone, but I think I will start with the Hagstrom. Once I get my tele, I might try that out too.

Brian still plays that same Rick for electric gigs. It is the one my son decided he liked. Sometimes he plays a tele too.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Dude! That is so my schtick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's official, the vid of their old band Stonewheat I linked above that you facebookers can look at contains one additional song we will be doing. The lead guitar has a number of repeating phrases that I hope and think I can get my fingers around, and I can get something going for when he solos over time. I am curious what any of you think of that song if you happen to watch.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck !!! remember to breathe once in a while !!!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Remember, sometimes when playing leads and fills....less is more! If you know what I mean....
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast