Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Yikes, what did I get myself into? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yikes, what did I get myself into?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, tomorrow night is the night. It was postponed one week. I have used the time that I have had do play along with the songs we discussed. I have been trying to find some phrases that fit the songs. Some of the songs I have some lines kind of down (some of that Sun May Shine song I linked the vid to for example), some I know where I want to play and which tones I want to focus on, and some are still a little bit hunt and peck. Into the Mystic for some reason is not comfortable yet.

But be that as it may, I am going to play through the songs again now (finally have some time tonight), and just go in and have fun. Listen a lot, less is more, etc. Brian says they may be bringing out some songs they have not even played in a long time from their old catalog, so there will be some just plain listening going on. Anyway, just wanted to check in on it! Here I go!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it went pretty well! I got asked back for next week, so that is good. I had a lot of fun, so that was good too. They liked my tones, both Hag and strat. But I think the Hag fits the vibe better overall for most of the songs. I got some good smiles for my improv on some of the songs that I had not heard, and my prep on their Sun May Shine song worked out well. On a few of the songs, I am just going to have to study and learn the key lines. The Van Morrison songs especially, and on Wish You Were Here. On those songs, the parts I thought I might play are covered by others, and they need me to play the recognizable lead lines.

Bottom line, it was a blast! The improv on the fly and the study of the required lines are going to really help me take a few steps up on my playing too. A bunch of motivation just flowed in the door!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

That all sounds great. I'm glad you came away encouraged and excited to do more. That's a good thing.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    That all sounds great. I'm glad you came away encouraged and excited to do more. That's a good thing.
    +1
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nothing improves your playing like jamming and bouncing ideas of other musicians. Glad it's working out for you SVL!
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds great! Keep us updated on how it goes (a pic or clip never hurts, either................).
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you Steve! Glad you enjoyed it and are embracing the opportunity.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys. Hey R_of_G, how did your performance go?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Thanks guys. Hey R_of_G, how did your performance go?
    Mine is not until the 26th, three weeks from today.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As I wrote, I was thinking that it wasn't quite here yet. Keep me posted! Your gig sounds interesting and like a fun project.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I missed to wish you luck for the first session, but I was convinced
    That you were gonna leave a good impression on these guys.
    Great to hear all went well. Congratz svl!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Night two tonight. The keyboard player who could not make it last week is coming this time I think.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Went pretty well again! I made progress on some of the songs, got introduced to some others, and got along fine with the keys guy. They asked me if I could come next week, so we'll just keep it rolling!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have been practicing, and listening, and playing along with the initial songs we have jammed on from the attached set list. This list was what they have played out at some cafe type gigs, and with some changes, what I might play out with them if it works out.

A very fun exercise. As a number of the songs are not typical blues sounding pieces, I have been forced to explore more major tonalities. Also, some of the original tunes do not have simple chord structures such as regular blues and rock songs, so again I can't just camp out in the minor pentatonic of whatever key the song is in.

One technique I have been trying is using the pentatonic shapes, which I have learned up and down the fretboard, but shifting so that I can use the major pentatonic shape. I learned this from some tutorials I found in iTunes. You just shift the standard shape we all think about so that the normal root note is on the right, and not the left. So then it is the note that extends 4 frets above the lowest note in the pattern on the low E string. Then I can expand the pentatonic shapes from there. Obviously you have to remember that the roots are in different places than when you are playing this shape as a minor pattern.

This is easier for me at this point than knowing the full major scales, though I am trying to learn those too. Also, I think it is more flexible for me as it is simple shape based so it gives me a map, but doesn't lock me in as much, and I can experiment and find other tones I can use, such as chord tones that are not in the basic shape.

Ideally, I could just have the fretboard be my canvas and find notes by ear, but being a mid life newbie, having a road map to get started helps. Anyone else use this approach or try this?

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, Steve. It sounds like a great opportunity and a good reason to venture out into some new fretboard territory. Keep us posted!

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool to see "Green is the Colour" on that setlist. Nice to know some cover bands realize that Pink Floyd has more albums than the "super-classic" ones. "Green is the Colour" is a beautiful song that can be jammed out endlessly.

Post Thanks / Like

Great for you SVL just go for it I^'m sure you'll fit in just fine, relax and enjoy the music !
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast