Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
A Weigh We Go...

Thread: A Weigh We Go...

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Weigh We Go...

I bought a postal scale recently, since both myself and the future Mrs. FF do some trading and selling of our individual passions. With her, it's dolls (Living Dead Dolls, Blythe and Pullip), and with me it's guitar parts.

I've often wondered how much my LP style guitars weigh, and since I now have the means to find out, I did a weigh-in. Here are the results:

My Agile AL-3000 weighs 9 pounds, 5 ounces.

My Agile AL-2000 weighs 9 pounds and ½ an ounce. Pretty close to the AL3K.

I was surprised to see that my Epiphone 60s Tribute Les Paul is the lightest of the three. 8 Pounds, 14.2 ounces. It sure feels heavier when it's around my neck.

How about other Fretters? What's your heaviest guitar, and how much does it weigh? What's your lightest? Which do you prefer, tone wise?
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

My older Agile LP with P90s weighs close to 20 pounds. I don't have a way to accurately weigh it but after 40 minutes that's what it feels like. Maybe someday I can get an accurate reading on it.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    My older Agile LP with P90s weighs close to 20 pounds. I don't have a way to accurately weigh it but after 40 minutes that's what it feels like. Maybe someday I can get an accurate reading on it.
    20 pounds???? Wow. I know how they can feel like they weigh that much, but I'd be pretty impressed if you weighed it and it actually was somewhere around 20. Maybe some of those "Flood Sale" Gibsons might weigh in around 20 lbs.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

According to my bathroom scale (it's all I have), the guitars in my room right now fall out like this:

Agile: 10.8 lbs
    Godin LG sig: 7.2 lbs
    Ibanez bass: 8.8 lbs
    Seagull acoustic: 6.0 lbs

I think the Godin Redline is a little heavier than the LG, so it'd probably be somewhere in between. I'm not sure how accurate those readings are, but they should be reasonably close. Almost 11 pounds for the Agile! Wowsers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    According to my bathroom scale (it's all I have), the guitars in my room right now fall out like this:

Agile: 10.8 lbs
    Godin LG sig: 7.2 lbs
    Ibanez bass: 8.8 lbs
    Seagull acoustic: 6.0 lbs

I think the Godin Redline is a little heavier than the LG, so it'd probably be somewhere in between. I'm not sure how accurate those readings are, but they should be reasonably close. Almost 11 pounds for the Agile! Wowsers!
    That's impressive, Eric. I know that the ALs can vary a lot in weight, and I've heard of 12 and even 13 pound guitars from that line.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

I only measured the electrics--

ASAT: 6.8

American Standard: 7.8

LP Ultra: 7.4
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Heck, I don't even weigh my bikes (anymore).
    Cyclists can earn the name, "weight weenies" if they get too focused.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Gibson for example had good reason to apply the weight relief or chambering. My Goldtop is weight reliefed (9 cheeseholes under the top), but it still weighs in at over 9 lbs. It's exhausting when you play a 2h gig. I think 8 - 8,5 for a LP type of guitar is the best weight.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Ah, those were the days. I remember investing in alloy or ti bolts and nuts just to keep weight down. I did see the light eventually, and just looked at longevity rather than weight.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post

A friend who took over when I left the bike shop got into the weight reduction thing pretty seriously. He drilled holes in everything...and yes he had some massive failures at critical moments. Come to think of it, I've seen pictures of guitars with holes drilled in them too. That right there is a massive failure. I've got a few guitars besides Les Pauls that are pretty light and toneful. If I need a break from the weight I'll play one of those for a while until the circulation comes back to my shoulder.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen a live band Tele player who had what seemed like a good ten holes in the back of the guitar... 1 1/4 inch diameter or so.
    I can see the Tele body strapped on the drill press and someone going at it with a spade drill bit, wood chips flying...!
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My tele weighs 9+ pounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    My tele weighs 9+ pounds.
    Wow, that seems heavy for a Tele. I'll have to weigh mine, once I get it reassembled. I'm guessing it was around 7 lbs or so before the surgery began, so it may be a bit heavier when I'm done.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, the only small scale I have can only weigh up to about 5 lbs. I'd be interested in seeing how heavy my Dinky is. With the smaller body, you'd think it wouldn't be bad. It never has felt heavy. It is heavier than my old Fender Showmaster was, but I could send that thing flying across the room with a hearty sneeze.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

The only one's I've bothered to weigh are my Peavey T-series, because people are always talking about how heavy they are. My guitar, a black (thus poplar, unlike the Northern Ash natural ones) T-60, is rather light at 8.5 pounds My T-40 bass, which is a natural-finish, and ash, is some ungodly amount, 12 pounds something, I think.

I have no idea how heavy my LP's are.

Post Thanks / Like

OK I'll play too

My bathroom scales, whilst digital, wont read anything as light as a guitar so I had to kinda weigh myself, then myself holding the guitar, then subtract the difference and convert from Kg to lb but anywayz..

1980's MIK Squier Strat (ply body) = 8.3 lbs
    Maton MS2000DLX (Electric solid body, QLD Maple with Rock Maple cap) = 9.4 lbs
    Maton BB1200 (Electric semi-hollow, same wood combo) = 7.3 lbs

In real terms though, the Ply Squier feels heavy for what it is. I guess that's all the "tone glue" in the ply huh
    The MS2000 is about what I expected after playing Les Paul's in stores and seems to match up with FF's post. It feels like a very solid guitar.
    The BB1200, whilst a lot lighter, still surprisingly makes people who have never really held a guitar before say "wow, that's quite heavy". That is until I give them the 9.4 lb solid body version.....