Thread: Android Tricks with Linux

Post Thanks / Like

Default Android Tricks with Linux

This may only appeal to, well, me, but this is one of the reasons I wanted to get an Android phone. I figured out how to take a screenshot of my phone via the SDK in Linux. The cool thing is that it also exposes a lot of the inner workings of my phone so I can see how everything is stored, running processes, etc. It's like a geek-o-rama. This is one thing that convinced me not to get an iPhone/iWhatever, because none of this stuff would be exposed, much less in Linux.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't read through the nuts and bolts of the links, since I don't own one, but I get the idea. Cool. I'm edging ever closer to getting a smartphone, but I'm trying to hold off.

I don't want to bash any computer system in this thread, but suffice to say I agree with your general stance.

On a different topic, my computer has been slowly dying for a long time, and the latest news is that my DVD drive doesn't open, even with some percussive persuasion. Might be time for a new one...any recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up ordering one from CyberpowerPC last year. I made a thread about it here: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=14011 I did run into separate memory and video card problems which seem to be nothing more than extraordinarily poor luck on my part. It was a PITA to diagnose, but since I have the box has worked great.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I remember that thread well. I'll look through it again when I have a few more minutes -- I guess it might still be relevant even a year later -- but do you care to remind me what the video card/memory problem was?

I seem to remember you having a bad batch of RAM or something? Were the two items conflicting, or just both defective or something?
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Eric, as for your new PC parts, I built a Wintel box for myself late last year and I'd highly recommend the Intel i5 series chips. They run really cool and the whole "turbo" mode seems to work really well, sliding the speed from sub 1GHz to over 3GHz (on a 2.8Ghz CPU) as needs demand. Power management seems to work well, and if you feel the need, you can overclock the buggery out of them. I ran the software utility that came with my mobo (P7P55D-E) just after I assembled it and saw 4.1GHz stable clocks out of her with totally acceptable temps under my coolermaster Hyper 212+ fan/HS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Yes, I remember that thread well. I'll look through it again when I have a few more minutes -- I guess it might still be relevant even a year later -- but do you care to remind me what the video card/memory problem was?

I seem to remember you having a bad batch of RAM or something? Were the two items conflicting, or just both defective or something?
    It was just dumb bad luck. The memory sticks and the video card were bad. This despite the fact that I used reputable parts: Corsair for the memory and EVGA for the video card. Cyberpower sent me new memory from a company I had never heard of before and it's been rock solid. My second EVGA card has a minor problem in text mode (the text looks blurry) but it works fine otherwise. I figured I'd probably upgrade that someday anyway so it wasn't a problem.

So yeah, my phone works cool with Linux

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I love my Evo4g for that reason exactly. I can set it up exactly how I want it and even with a simple app like Astro you can see all the file locations.

Have you tried any other launchers like Launcher Pro or ADW? I'm a huge fan of launcher pro. What other apps are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vroomery
    Have you tried any other launchers like Launcher Pro or ADW? I'm a huge fan of launcher pro. What other apps are you using?
    With the HTC Sense stuff, I haven't found a need for Launcher Pro, etc. The apps I use the most are:
    Olivetree BibleReader (can't wait for v5!)
    TapeMachine (voice/sound recorder)
    Astrid (to-do lists)
    AK Notepad
    handyCalc
    JamBox (guitar chord/scale program)
    Brewzor Calculators (brewing calculators)
    AndiCar (car expense tracker)
    Tapatalk (forum reader, which The Fret will support soon)
    Seesmic (Twitter)
    WeatherBug
    Documents2Go
    SoundHound (song identifier)
    Euchre
    And, of course, the ubiquitous Angry Birds

I obviously use the built-in Gmail and Web browsing apps too. I like the HTC Twitter app a lot but the update function crashes all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    So yeah, my phone works cool with Linux
    Yeah well...sorry. Thanks for humoring me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Yeah well...sorry. Thanks for humoring me.
    No problem. I didn't mind the digression. Just wanted to bring it back on topic.