Thread: Bass soapbar pickups

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bass soapbar pickups

My Spector bass has EMG-SSD (think EMG-HZ) passive soapbar pickups. They are OK, but that's about it. They are dull sounding and can get muddy easily, even with stainless strings. I have toyed with the idea of putting real EMGs in there. To me, that's a huge part of the Spector sound. The nice thing with EMGs is that I'd be able to replace the pots because the ones in there are somewhat scratchy. The problem is that real EMGs aren't exactly the cheapest things in the world. Any thoughts on other possible solutions from you other bassists?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my pickup of choice. Not the cheapest around, but oh so awesome tone. My GW has big singles and it sounds like the bastard child of a jazz bass and a Rickenbacker.

I think clear and very full-range describes the nordy's pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

?

Was there supposed to be a link in there, or am I not picking up on something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    ?

Was there supposed to be a link in there, or am I not picking up on something?
    Yeah, it didn't show up. I'll try again.

http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/bas...ups/signature/

Post Thanks / Like

I found this guy's videos on TalkBass where he goes through a bunch of EMG pickups on his Schecter bass, replacing EMG HZs which are similar to the pups in my bass. I was almost surprised to hear how much his HZs sounded like my bass. It showed me that just getting a preamp for this wouldn't help. To me, it sounds like there's a blanket on the amph.

In listening to all the videos, I liked the 40P and 40J combination the best. It seemed to have the best combination of clarity and growliness. Unfortunately, they are $105 a piece. The good news is that that comes with new pots and a new jack, so it would be a complete electronics replacement.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the pickups one at a time. I'd get an EMG 35P4 for the neck first and later get a 35J or 35DC for the bridge eventually. The only "problem" with that would be that I'd have holes in my bass where the pups and controls used to be I suppose I could just cut the leads and leave the pickup and controls in there dead.

By the way, this is my first post on the new system.