Thread: Wilco goes from label to indie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Wilco goes from label to indie

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/musi...ign-wilco.html

They have had a loosely indie sound for a long time, and now they are taking their distribution in that direction. I am glad there are options out there, for those successful enough to take advantage of them. I hope that the success of bands like Wilco will help other worthy bands that have not garnered the same attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3MtKcdfEOw

(clip posted to candy up the post a little. ).
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

It's an encouraging sign for music. They seem to have enough of a following to pull it off so I hope it works as a model for other bands to pursue as an option. The more that do and make it work, the more will follow.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...
    Doesn't sound too earth shatteringly ground-breaking (Hmmm...interesting sentence...). Epitaph (Anti) is home to quite a few major label "refugees" already. Given the fact that it all winds up being distributed by Warner's Alternative Distribution Alliance means Wilco has no downside to this anyway. Still hanging with the big boys.

The above having been said, I love Wilco. Looking forward to their next release.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really think they were getting much publicity money from their current label anyway, were they? I have rarely seen much mention of them outside of Wilco circles recently. I would imagine the promotion/publicity is the primary area where they'd miss a big record label.

The whole thing with this as a model is that it still depends on bands going to a major label at some point, because otherwise they don't have the following to make it on their own. Unless you count just endless touring, but even that can't compare to the legions of fans you get from being a big name.

It is a little disheartening to me, because it seems like it's impossible for bands to do it the "right way" (i.e. without selling out and playing the role of cash cow for at least a while). But...so be it. At least there's music out there.

Speaking of Wilco, has anybody listened much to the Avett Brothers? I got them as a recommendation this past fall and listened once or twice, but didn't really spend much time with the albums. I figure Wilco enthusiasts might like them.
    Last edited by Eric; January 27th, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    The whole thing with this as a model is that it still depends on bands going to a major label at some point, because otherwise they don't have the following to make it on their own. Unless you count just endless touring, but even that can't compare to the legions of fans you get from being a big name.
    One could attempt to follow Phish's model of becoming a big name in large part because of the endless touring. Despite allowing a cadre of fans to record and freely distribute their shows, they've been extremely successful selling their own professional live recordings of their shows in both CD and digitial download forms. They seem to be putting out more DVDs of entire shows as well. Recently they got into pay-per-view for their NYE run and that did well too.

Their total fanbase might not be as large as some more mainstream acts, but they seem to have figured out how to keep as many things in-house as possible while working with a major for album releases. They did self-release their first two albums so they could go back to it if they chose. Trey has his own recording studio in the farmhouse. A damn nice one too.

I would speculate Wilco could pull off much the same thing. I'd imagine like Phish, a Wilco show is not the same every night. That alone generates interest amongst fans in wanting to hear more than the one official "live album" the general music fan will listen to of some band he likes.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Haven't seen the Avett bros. Though I think I just missed them in Boise. They were playing with someone else that interested me and I was thinking of trying to catch the show. They are featured this month in Acoustic Guitar mag.

I understand your concerns Eric, and that is why I said I was glad Wilco was successful enough to pull it off. My hope is that if more of these "indie" (for lack of a better term) artists make it, then maybe they can pull some other worthy acts along with them somehow.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Speaking of Wilco, has anybody listened much to the Avett Brothers? I got them as a recommendation this past fall and listened once or twice, but didn't really spend much time with the albums. I figure Wilco enthusiasts might like them.
    big

And Wilco doesn't seem to rely on typical marketing, they're not a mainstream radio group. They encourage taping and sharing...(Tweedy's quote: "we're not into keeping people from hearing our music")

Avett Bros are a great Band, they've been at it a while as well. Emotionalism is a great album.

for the uninitiated.......a nice piece on Wilco. Tweedy's a regular guy.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Huge Wilco fan here (saw them in Hartford months ago...solid 3 hr show...amazing). Eric, I have heard a few Avett Bros. tunes on Sirius, which I enjoyed. The tunes I heard didn't strike me as akin to Wilco-ish music (what is that, anyway?), but I need to delve further into them. Thanks for the reminder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickngrin View Post
    Huge Wilco fan here (saw them in Hartford months ago...solid 3 hr show...amazing). Eric, I have heard a few Avett Bros. tunes on Sirius, which I enjoyed. The tunes I heard didn't strike me as akin to Wilco-ish music (what is that, anyway?), but I need to delve further into them. Thanks for the reminder.
    I know what you mean. The guy who recommended them to me is a marketing guy for Sony music and he said if I liked Wilco I'd love the Avetts. But yeah, they didn't seem to be too Wilco-ish. I guess it's more a case of likely overlapping tastes.

I used to be HUGE into Wilco, but I've kind of moved away from them a little bit at present. Their last album didn't grab me for whatever reason.

Hmm...maybe they're like Star Trek movies, where all of the even-numbered ones I like a lot. Let's see: Being There, Summerteeth, YHF, Sky Blue Sky. Yeah OK, not exactly every-other, but whatever.

On the topic of Wilco-similars, have you ever listened to Blue Rodeo? They remind me a lot of A.M.-era Wilco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you... I am not crazy about the self-titled album, either. Sky Blue Sky isn't my favorite, but I've enjoyed some of it. Their sound has really taken a turn (into guitar forays) with Nels Cline. Regardless of what studio material they put out, they are a great live band IMO. I remember a friend playing some Blue Rodeo for me a few years ago, but I really have no recollection of what they were like.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know. I've always found it a tad misleading when bands like this go 'indie.' Of course, they are technically independent, and I do applaud that, but given their level of success they have as many or more resources at their disposal than a label band. I used to see Snoop Dogg show up on the indie charts pretty often . . . so . . .

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Pedals: Too many to list - 90% of them of my own making.

Visit me on the webz: pedalbuilder.com