Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Cheap Practice Amps

Thread: Cheap Practice Amps

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Cheap Practice Amps

I think this thread is in the right spot as I anticipate the amp I am discussing will not include modelling. In connection with my shopping for my son for a guitar (see Rumor, Squire 51 thread), I am interested in what the fretters think is the best cheap practice amp to go with such a guitar, if I get a guitar for him that does not come with an amp. Don't really need to overthink it here, but just wanted to know if there are any real lemons to stay away from, or any gems to look for. Would like to stay within the small, easily transported category. I am not looking for a Vox AD15VT or up, that is too much. I am talking small and cheap.
    Thanks, Steve
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; November 4th, 2006 at 09:44 AM. Reason: clarify
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

not sure about your budget....but for a tube amp the epiphone valve jr. combo is the way to go....less than $150 bucks...an on/off switch and a volume knob....doesn't get much simpler than that!

I love mine.....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a Guitar Center nearby, this one seems to fit the bill for cheap, has some modeling, and you could try it out. Good reviews too.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro...ull_sku=480698

Good Luck,
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I am talking small and cheap.
    Define "cheap". I'm still trying to get recalibrated after reading Bass2Guitar's description of a "cheap" acoustic as under $1000! So the term is clearly a relative one!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    not sure about your budget....but for a tube amp the epiphone valve jr. combo is the way to go....less than $150 bucks...an on/off switch and a volume knob....doesn't get much simpler than that!

I love mine.....

ww
    I will probably have the Vox AD50 (maybe 30) for myself, and am looking for something really small and cheap for my son to start with. Duhvoodooman had mentioned the concept in connection with a 3/4 size strat knock off that would come with "a cheap 10W SS amp". I am going to stick with a full size guitar for him, like the Squire 51 or an SX strat, or consider a cheap and decent LP knockoff, so will need to get the amp separately. For point of reference, my guitar instructor loaned me an Epiphone EP800R which says on the back that it is 25W and is solid state. It appears to have come with an Epihone LP copy that my instructor inherited from a kid's mom who said "take it away" when her kid quit. The LP copy honestly is not very good. The EP800 makes is ok, but is a little buzzy with my strat if you turn up the reverb or gain at all. So down in that el cheapo range, are there any gems? I could just share the Vox with him for short term and get something later, like the Valve Jr. Or, save $120 and get the AD30 instead of the 50 and be most of the way toward a Valve Jr.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

That Behringer SS modeling amp that Hog suggested is a good option. I think you really need an amp that will offer a kid a lot of different sounds to play around with & help hold his interest.

The Valve Jr. is a great little amp and an amazing value, but it's extreme simplicity and brutally honest "your ears get back exactly what your fingers play" character is probably not the best approach for a beginner.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

steve i have both the ad30vt and the valve jr....two totally different amps....the valve jr. is a true class a tube amp....simple....clean to about 11 o'clock on the dial then starts to break up as you turn the volume up. I like this little amp.

The ad30vt is very loud (plenty loud for at home) but has a pretty steep learning curve....you are talking about modeling amp extraordinare here!

The ad50vt will be louder but i think all the modeling features are the same as the 30.

I say get the 30 and the valve jr. then you have two completely different sounding and functioning amps.

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Define "cheap". I'm still trying to get recalibrated after reading Bass2Guitar's description of a "cheap" acoustic as under $1000! So the term is clearly a relative one!
    DVM:

I define cheap in this circumstance as well under $100. The Behringer unit Hog suggested looks like a good option at 59.99. Glad to have your thought about the brutal honesty of the Valve Jr. That makes sense. It is supposed to be fun and rewarding for him. I amended my post to let the fretters know that I was getting the idea from your mention of the cheap 10W SS amps that come with Jr. guitar combos. I am currently borrowing the Epi EP800 which seems to be in line with the SS amps you were talking about. Ok, but not great. The Vox DA5 costs almost as much as a valve jr. and I was trying to stay away from that. The Berhinger unit might fit. Will have to try it on my Boise trip when I shop for Derek's guitar.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I still am not sure how cheap you want to go.. but have the following suggestions.. The Epiphone Valve Jr Combo if you wish him to start with tubes but he probably will be doing alot of practicing the others in the house would not wish to hear.. so a headphone amp would be suggested.. a couple of very good reviewed and sounding amps come to mind..

If you want to stay in the VOX area, they have the portable DA5 which should sound similar to it's big brothers and sells online for around $140.00 although pricey he would always keep it for the battery part later ..

There is also the Roland MicroCube which is another very good portable amp with great clean and dirty sounds plus effects, headphone, battery or ac and cd input.. selling around $125.00.. again something to keep when older for portable use going with the gals to the beach..

My latest addition which I really like the sound of but comes with no speaker is the $99.00 Crate Powerblock.. here you will have something to grow into.. its very small..comes with a carrying case, cd input, headphone, xlr lineout to computer, mixer etc etc.. has a descent sound on it's own while excepting pedals nicely.. and at the begining he could use headphones or connect to a computer.. while he grows with the guitar he can get a single speaker.. later a 2x12, then a contract with a record company and some 4x12's... just a thought... its a pro sound at a steal price

final choice..would be a Fender Frontman 15R for $99.99.. has Reverb, two channels.. cd input.. 8 inch speaker and the fender name to go along with your squier... probably more of what your looking for anyways.. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Amp?sku=480668

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    I know a Google multizillionaire: talk about calibration issues!!

My definitions for a guitar for myself.

Cheap: < $100
    Great Deal: <= $150
    Christmas present: $300
    Splurge that would require much agonizing: $500

That's all in the noise for this guy.

If only I could convince him to send a little noise my way
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; November 4th, 2006 at 11:00 AM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    DVM:

I define cheap in this circumstance as well under $100. The Behringer unit Hog suggested looks like a good option at 59.99.
    oops must have posted this right when you did.. way under $100.00... hmmm have no clue.. also remember if you go under $99.00 most places are going to hit you with shipping charges if mail ordered... probably bringing the price darn near $99.00 anyways..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I know a Google multizillionaire: talk about calibration issues!!

My definitions for a guitar for myself.

Cheap: < $100
    Great Deal: <= $150
    Christmas present: $300
    Splurge that would require much agonizing: $500

That's all in the noise for this guy.

If only I could convince him to send a little noise my way
    I concur with those numbers. For instance, I had to agonize over the 60th std. Strat. A nice acoustic is another example. For my son's first, I was looking at the killer deal dept. for guitar (like Squire 51) and something cheap to go with it. I will have to try out the Behringer unit and see.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the Peavey "transtube" amphs can be had for less than $100 and sound pretty good to me.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, the 10 watt SX amp I got with my SX Strat sounds really good! The speaker is super tiny, but tone is awesome for an amp that sells for around $30 bucks!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Vox Pathfinder 15 or 15R. Might be some of the best-sounding solid-state amps in the market.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kerc
    Vox Pathfinder 15 or 15R. Might be some of the best-sounding solid-state amps in the market.
    Thanks Robert and Kerc. I'll check those out too when the time is right.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kerc
    Perhaps for the price and as a dedicated practice amp, but there is WAY better solid state amps available if you want to cough up some dollaritos. Jazz Chorus & Sessionette to name two. The best solid state amps imho are the ones that doesnt wanna be "almost like tube in this one". SS amps that are designed as solid state amps, and dont try to imitate tube amps sounds better imho.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009