Thread: Hendrix Box - West Coast Seattle Boy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hendrix Box - West Coast Seattle Boy

Being a Hendrix addict, I have big problems not to buy Hendrix products. I love all that remastered stuff, like bootlegs, new DVDs etc.

Now I saw this new box set. Although being a tough decision, I think I'm going to take a break on that one, because I almost have all the stuff on it and a "Fire" doesn't get better in the 25th version.

But there's on thing that is totally awesome about this collections. You should follow the below link and listen to the sound samples.

There's that very very pre-stardom Jimi stuff on the first 2 cds and my Lord, I can't believe how greatly this material has been remastered and remixed.

http://www.amazon.com/West-Coast-Sea...6215917&sr=8-1
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, Hendrix playing Tears of Rage, one of my favorite songs ever! Definitely looks worth it, but I agree the box set is only for hardcore Hendrix fans. I'll wait and let the price go down a bit more and go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Another case of more marketing than substance for JHE. While there are some worthy cuts, they left out way too many historic rarely heard 'must-haves' for any respectable collection of pre-Experience. Jimi's 1960-66 guitar escapades are chronicaled in Steve Roby's excellant and largely accurate 'Becoming Jimi Hendrix'.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Iago, thanks for mentioning the Tears of Rage cover. Totally piqued my curiosity. Here's a link through RollingStone.com....
    Dig it! http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-rage-20101111

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh, I could resist but my wife saw it in the shopping mall and thought it would be a cool idea to surprise me with the deluxe box set. What do you say? I think it was cool. A small review for you:
    This box set is only for die hard fans and collectors, absolutely nothing for Hendrix beginners. Your ears must be used to Hendrix solos good or bad, endless instrumental jam sessions plus you must know the several different versions of his songs so that you really hear why the versions on this album are different. The first cd consists of recordings Jimi made as a side man - very good cd! The overall sound quality on the 4 cds is extremely good. Let us fly through cd 2-4. Some real gems like:
    Some private hotel recordings (only Jimi and the guitar). Especially here you can see that Hendrix was a fantastic singer and his guitar skills on the hotel recordings are phenomenal. There rarely musicians that can accompany themselves on the guitar the way Jimi did.
    A version of a song called "Mastermind" featuring Bill Cox or Larry Lee on vocals (almost hurts so darn good are the vocals, no kidding!)
    A beautiful version of The Band's "Tears Of Rage"
    A very intimate acoustic number called "Suddenly November Morning" - this song really shows how Hendrix was trying to break free from the music he made up to this point and how he was open minded for new stuff.
    A lot of stuff sounds like jam sessions, sometimes very uninspired! Sometimes breathtakingly good.
    Special mention No1 is an instrumental called "Burning Desire" that shows Jimis understanding for Jazz.
    Special mention No2 is a 14 minute version of the Band Of Gypsys version of Stone Free. Jimi's sound at full volume is just wow and his playing on this version is versatile, accurate and over the top.
    Of course Jimi would have never ever published such stuff. It's to me more a way of understanding Hendrix and how he worked for the several albums. It's a nice to have, but most of the songs really require a lot of patience and love for Jimi's music. The DVD is a new documentary whcih is made up very nice, but doesn't really tell us anything we didn't know already.
    Conclusion:
    You have to be in the mood to listen to the entire 4 hours, otherwise most of this sounds like noise to you. Such boxes are always hazardous to the legacy of a player, because they also show facettes of playing that we might not really want to hear, you know what I mean. It gives a brief look-out to what Hendirx was up to, but in my personal opinion, parts of it also show what Billy Cox has mentioned in interviews: Jimi was empty, had no more ideas, was riding on the same riffs up and down. He clearly needed a break from guitar playing. Also Mitch Mitchell's and Buddy Miles' drumming was not always the most suitable for Jimi. Too much "hectical" drumming. A Chad Smith style drummer would have been perfect for Jimi. To me it's a nice to have and I will listen through it some more times. Definitely there is a lot to discover on this box set.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

You make it sound better than I'd dismissed it after reading many detailed reviews, leaning towards buying, thanx. I've listened to plenty of Jimi's noise, so a little more will be welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msteeln View Post
    You make it sound better than I'd dismissed it after reading many detailed reviews, leaning towards buying, thanx. I've listened to plenty of Jimi's noise, so a little more will be welcome.
    Hahahaha :-) See, I listened to it again this morning...can't stop listening....Hound Dog Blues...man, man, man....Jimi was so good. I know everybody is pizzt about Janie Hendrix and the marketing, but to be honest, I am happy about every note Jimi played and having the chance to listen to these tracks is something I appreciate a lot.