Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Eric Clapton 1968 guitar demo

Thread: Eric Clapton 1968 guitar demo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eric Clapton 1968 guitar demo

1968 Interview and gear demo with Eric Clapton. It's a bit Spinal Tapish.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

very cool.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

"What would Nigel say?" The best satire cuts really close to the truth! Those Brit interviewers from the 60's always asked the most asinine questions...
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty cool. Have seen that video some time ago...:-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I am really getting back to my SG. I have owned one for 42 years and I hardly play it. I recently picked up a G400 and I can't put it down. I am looking for a Gibson SG Standard as we speak. I still say his Gibson tone really was much better than his Strat tone. Also his mid boost pickup configuration was just an attempt at Humbucker tone.
    Talk about a reliced quitar.
    That was a great interview to see just how good he was back in 1968. If you think about the questions, back then nobody had any clue how these guys were getting these sounds out of an electric guitar. Now the questions seem dumb but back then they were not common knowledge. I had a 1968 Gibson SG, a 1965 Super Reverb and a Dunlop Cry baby Wah. I might have experimented with a fuzz box but that was it. You can imagine a Super Reverb being cranked to get breakup. That was the 60s.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sg

That was worth watching. He described seemingly simple methods very effectively without sounding condescending. That is what real good, sincere, communication is all about.

Your style can develop from relatively simple guitar lines into progressively more complex improvizations and jams. You can entwine your emotions into your sound.

He sounds genuinely sincere and interestrd in explaining some of the basics of playing the increasingly powerful and supercharged electric guitar that was not that much earlier relegated to the parlor and other more reticent roles in its unamplified form. The electric guitar had only recently become the blast furnace of instrumental lead instruments that revolutionized electric music, much to the satisfaction of a hot rodded audience that was ready to roll.

Great historic interview!

Good luck with finding a nice SG Zman. I wouldn't mind finding one myself, or even buying a new Standard. I need to play a few and see if I think they sound significantly better than the nicer Epi's.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man, where is the rest of that int.?! That was really good, but I need more!

Getting a great SG pretty much means $$. My near vintage snob friend picked up one of the Gibson laser copies of a few years back, w/Maestro vibrato, and loves it, but at the price he should have married it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    That was a great interview to see just how good he was back in 1968. If you think about the questions, back then nobody had any clue how these guys were getting these sounds out of an electric guitar. Now the questions seem dumb but back then they were not common knowledge.
    Zman, that is a good point. Spud's 'Spinal Tap ' comment set me off, and I was thinking in that vein.... It does seem that Christopher Guest was taking off just that kind of an interview in the film. Also, I suppose that the accent and the way the questions were delivered adds to a stuffy kind of feel, but even that could be an artifact of the 60's that sounds stilted now. But think of some of those early British interviews of the Beatles by old-guy BBC interviewers...!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    "What would Nigel say?" The best satire cuts really close to the truth! Those Brit interviewers from the 60's always asked the most asinine questions...
    Nigel : "Not loud enough"

I love this little video. The tone is so dynamic, listen to how many variations he gets just by using volume and pick strength. Awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my favorite video of Eric.

..."pick-kups on week-kends"... lol the Brits crack me up.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

This video dates back to my senior year in HS, and I thought Clapton in his days with the long hair, mustache and psychedelic paint-job SG was just the coolest dude in the universe. He was my first real "guitar hero"....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

"People like the Who..........Pete Townshend"
    "What, you mean you want me to break the guitar up?"
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    "People like the Who..........Pete Townshend"
    "What, you mean you want me to break the guitar up?"
    I have the exact guitar that Pete Townshend used.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

And then, there's Jeff Beck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p05vOgGNSo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    I have the exact guitar that Pete Townshend used.
    Is it one he broke up?
    Or do you mean one exactly like the guitar that he used?
    If you have one of the guitars Pete used and it's not broke up, it's worth some serious cash to someone, should you decide to sell it.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal