Thread: New from San Diego

Post Thanks / Like

Default New from San Diego

Hello All. I am new to this forum. I started, in earnest, to play guitar again and have a little over a year under my belt after several years hiatus. I am taking a lesson every couple of weeks at Moe's Guitars. I have a Mexican Strat (1996) in Hendrix White (cream), and a brand new Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top in transparent amber, a Peavey Delta Blues 115 amp and the small Peavey Vypyr 15. I also have an 80's Yamaha dreadnought that needs to be fixed. Pedals include Boss Blues Driver and a Deltalab Tube Overdrive that I just picked up for $30 at GC -- great pedal! It sounds awesome on my Peavey DB on the clean channel.

I recently purchased a Jamman Solo looper and it it making a huge difference in my playing. I highly recommend this looper or some way to play over a loop if you don't have anybody to play with. I play blues and stuff like the Stones and Santana. At first I only knew those blues scale boxes but now I am learning so much more and how everything fits together by focusing on both rhythm and lead and learning the fretboard using the CAGED system. My teacher turned me on to playing the phrygian and dorian modes over a I ii progression (part of Samba pa Ti) and I love it. I am looking for more progressions that I can loop for practicing some solos. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks to all who post here.

-Ted

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Ted! Cool nickname!

You can call me Deep Blue!

I have a Mexican Squire too. I have the previous JamMan - great fun pedal.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't a squire... those squieres are made somewhere in Asia. It is my understanding that the Mexican Strats are pretty comparable to the US Strats. Thanks and take care.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooops, sorry, I read too fast and too incorrectly. Although my Squier is in fact Mexican. It is not comparable to a US strat though. No way.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to The Fret, Ted!

There are several of us here that started playing again after time away from the guitar. Be sure to check out some of the free lessons at DolphinStreet.com.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome Ted. Nice to have you aboard and don't be shy.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard, Ted.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard, GT! Sounds like you have a great starter collection going there. Keep up with those lessons, I know they've made a difference in my playing. Great to have you here!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey Ted! Welcome!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ted
    I am a newbee myself to the forum, Welcome cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cheers and welcome!

I always think I need a looper, but then again I can use a computer for that...still....
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ted. I'm also new here and have been playing for just under a year.

Great nickname!