• Fender Mustang III

1 4.55%
  • Line 6 Spider IV 75 watter

0 0%
  • Roland Cube 80XL

2 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which amph? (screaming solos content)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which amph? (screaming solos content)

I've posted a poll...

Out of the ones mentioned, which one would you pick?

Jet City 20 watt combo
    Bugera V22
    Fender Super Champ XD

Peavey Bandit / or Envoy
    Fender Mustang III
    Roland Cube 80XL
    Line 6 Spider IV 75 watter

Here are my parameters,

1. Live in an apartment, though it's fairly well insulated from sound. I don't hear my neighbors playing REALLY loud music, but I do hear Godzilla stomping around above me from time to time...

2. It's gotta be loud enough to gig/jam with, but quiet enough for home practice.

3. Versatility is a plus, but not everything... as long as I can get "clean-ish" tones and a "Marshall-ish" lead/rhythm tone, I'll be happy.

4. Effects are great. I love 'em... But I've spent so long without them that I'd just use a couple (reverb, chorus, wah), and I can add them later, depending on choice.

5. Never had a full tube amph before... I'm comfy with solid state, but those glowing bottles of goodness intrigue me!

I should, after all the advice I've given out, be able to just point and pick one. But I'm finding that the choices are making me dizzy. Help me out, Fretters!

Once it is narrowed down a bit, I'm gonna head over to GC and try the top three out, and pick one from there. Your vote counts, as I won't have time to play 'em all.

This amph WILL get screamin' solos, so no recommendations for a scrathy soundin, broke edison cable, dirt in the pullgain, 999999999999 times out of 100000000000000 amph to turn on amph, please!

Thanks!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I think you know what I'd say. I'd look at the Jet City JCA22H. It's got all the goodness of my JCA20H plus an effects loop and the SLO channel!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

How about the Vox VT30/50 or Mesa Transatlantic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can only say what I would be looking at. I have not the experience with these amphs to vote for THE one for the screaming solo. Of the modelers, it seems the Super Champ is well liked here and proven. But I would be going down to the guitar store to compare the Bugera and the Jet City myself. Happy Shopping!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I chose the SCXD, but it's also the only one of these that I've played. Of these, based on press, like SVL, I really want to try the Bugera and the Jet City. I recently started a thread inquiring about first amps, and the response for the SCXD caused me to go and mess around with one, and I was very, very impressed. Don't know how you can beat if for the price, and you can get it blonde!

As for gigging, don't be thinking you need outrageous power! A 15 or 20 watt tube amp puts out a ton of sound. I know a few working musicians who pay their mortgage with a 22W Deluxe Reverb. Also, I'm a huge Roland fan, but I can't imagine that 80 watt is practical to move around, and would put out huge sound (but it's a bit pricier too, no?)

I really think you should check out the SCXD, and I bet you can find one pretty cheap as well. Less than 200 at the GC i was in last week.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Kat, I voted for SCXD but I would recommend that you check out the Vox VTxx amps as well (the new ones with pedal effects seems like a nice choice). No scrathy sound and full of screamin´steely dan solo sounds,
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted Super Champ. I have both the Super and the Vibro Champs. The Vibro is perfect for home use. The Super would do for a small gig. I would give the Mustang 3 an honourable mention. They are 40 SS watts and very versatile. It is the most "tube" sounding SS amp I have heard. If you get a chance, get one of the guys at the local shop to run you through the Fender Fuse software, while hooked up to the amp and guitar. It will blow you away. As far as the SCXD is concerned I have said this before. I have a 65 Deluxe, a Marshall DSL 100, a Blues Junior special edition, and I have the use of a Vibrolux Reverb. Mated with my DD20 Giga Delay and a board full of Fulltone pedals. These little XDs are right on the money when you compare them AB to the real thing. With nothing but a Guitar and cord.
    16 voices and 16 effects. The only drawback is that you cannot do presets with them. If you go to another voice you have to change the gain, volume or bass treble to suit the tone you want. Most have one or two voices they like and it is an easy switch and tweak. The XD has a clean Channel but it also has the same channel (3) that you can use with the built in effects.
    Another added bonus with them is that normally noisey p90s sound quiet through them. The way the signal is processed seems to filter out the hum. They are really good in stock trim but you can change the speaker, tubes and set the bia. This allows you to mod the amp to your tastes. I picked up both of mine used for 125 Vibro, and 225 C Super.
    I saw the Mustang 2 at a local Can. shop for 219. I can't remember the price on the M3. Lots of good stuff from Fender.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a Mustang 1 and cant praise it highly enough. I brought it to a Jam yesterday and one of the other guitarists I was jamming with opened up a laptop and ordered one on the spot after hearing the tones in mine. I can only imagine the 3 would be a monster of an amp.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for the Jet City combo. Second choice would be the V22, but I can't get over my distaste for Behringer on that one. I am a bona fide 'tube amps or no amps' type, so keep that in mind, but I would specifically recommend against the Line 6 . . . I had a Spider III, and I have friends with the Spider IV and it just isn't a good amp line.

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Pedals: Too many to list - 90% of them of my own making.

Visit me on the webz: pedalbuilder.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fender Super Champ XD.

If you get to try one out, plug it into a 2x12 or 4x12 cab if possible.
    I think you'll agree it's gig worthy, and it's sounds good at low volume in the house also. It's a cool little amph w/ the built in models and effects.
    Duffy did a speaker swap in his and loves it. I left mine stock, but if I want louder I have the 2x12 Avatar cab loaded w/ Celestions and the 4x12 Epi cab w/ Lady Luck speakers.

Like zman said, though.......you switch models and you'll likely want to adjust some settings.
    The optional footswitch is worth the $$$ for going from the clean channel to the dark side.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for the Roland Cube 80XL. Although the Fender Super Champ would be a close second. The Cube has a ton (tonne?) of features, and a lot of power. It's going to sound pretty much the same until it is pushed to speaker distortion SPLs, which I don't recommend. A tube amp like the Jet City will sound much better if the power tubes are pushed a little bit, which means a lot of volume. Don't get me wrong, I love tube amps, but they really need to be pushed a little bit to get them to warm up. The Super Champ sounds very good and is very versatile. It is a real tube power amp with modeling built in, so it isn't a "tube amp" in the purist sense. Anyway, I think it would be hard to go wrong with either the Cube or SCXD.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Super Chanp XD

If you get the SCXD I suggest you consider installing an Emminence "Ragin' Cajun" speaker.

It has over 100dB sensitivity compared to the 95 or less of the stock cheaply made speaker. This means that the SCXD with the Ragin' Cajun is WAY louder than the stock SCXD and should enable you to play in a lot of reasonably loud bands. A few dB doubles the apparent volume of an amp and this increase comes entirely from your selection of a sensitive speaker. The tone is great as well and does not affect the sounds of the models overly.

I have already drownded out a loud drummer with mine and I must admit it was a real pleasure to observe him frantically waving me down as I leisurely moved over to turn down a little. It is really disgusting to have a drummer yell the obligatory, "Hey. Why don't you get a REAL amp!" at you when you show up with an underpowered amp. Plus the SCXD has a speaker jack out to plug into an eight ohm cabinet, four by twelve or whatever, for even more movement of air.

The SCXD has a few good effects built in but excells in the amp modelling area, where it has like eleven Fender amps modelled - and who knows better how to model Fender amps than Fender. Also included are high gain amps from other manufacturers and after some tweaking of the knobs, almost all of the models sound great to me. So I'm sure you will find a bunch of great models yourself.

This amp has a five year warranty, which is a relief, and probably evidence that it is built to last.

People that own the SCXD usually like them very much.

The Bandit is supposed to be a real good solid state amp. I have played a couple and have been amazed at how good they sound. A tube amp is cool to have though.

The Ragin' Cajun costs about 64 dollars US thru places like MF, no affln. You can put it in yourself without any worry, just press down REAL hard when screwing in the bolts when installing the new speaker. You have to compress the gasket material to get the threads to engage but once you do it bolts right up tight. Don't get longer bolts because they will go thru the front and wrap the grill cloth around them as you twist them in and mess up the grill cloth. Just push down hard - it will work. I did my own with no problem and the amp is awesome and loud. I really like that SCXD, as most owners probably do.

Good luck. Hope the info is helpful.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Since I've never played any of them, I don't really feel justified in participating in the poll. I sense that your tones interests are pretty close to mine, so I will say that of those listed, the one that interests me most is the Jet City, since it seems to be firmly in Marshall territory. I really think you could get any of those and be pretty happy, so keep us updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

When not using the pedalboard listed below, I'm using the "Metal" model on my Cube 60 for dirt and the JC for cleans. The Metal model is supposedly based on a Peavey 5150 and is very nice with tons of mids and sustain and it cleans up from the guitar. A bit of a pleasant surprise as I tend to shy away from anything labelled "metal". I run the gain at about 11 o'clock which is plenty for me. The Classic (Marshall) model is also very useful for crunchier tones.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for the Jet City, I tried out the JCA120 head a while back and it was pretty good. Clean and low gain sounds were amazing and it pulled off some pretty meaty classic/hard rock tones (Including the requsite screaming solos ) However it just didn't seem to have the necessary gain and punch I wanted for heavier tunes. That's just me as a dedicated metal player though, for most other applications is would be very cool. Don't suppose I could talk you into trying an Ibanez TBX? They do 30, 65 and 150 watt combo versions of my head, I'd recommend going for one of bigger ones though as you get a couple of extra modes on the 65 watt and higher models.
    My gear:

Jackson RR3
    ESP/LTD M-200 - For Sale PM for details
    Monterey Stage Series Strat copy

Ibanez TBX150H Head + Cab

Like melodic, groovy metal? Check out my band Trinatyde on facebook/myspace

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for the SCXD, which I own and think is fantastic. I haven't tried the others, but have a Peavey Express 112 which is very loud for solid state and sounds decent, but really doesn't have the warmth of tube amps. If you're considering used amps, a Peavey Classic 30 would be a great choice.
    Guitars: Charvel/Jackson CSM-1G, DeArmond M-75, DeArmond Starfire Special, DeArmond S-73, Epiphone Collegiate UK, Squier 51, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, Harmony Sovereign, Taylor 310, Takamine 12 string, SX thinline, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez JTK30,
    Amps: Earth Sound Research G-2000 Super Guitar head into Avatar G212H cab, Fender Sidekick 20 Chorus, Peavey Classic 20, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Express 112, Fender Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
    Effects: Digitech EX-7, Digitech RP-250

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, guys. A quick update: Over the weekend, my rear car tires developed two leaks, one in each tire, so we had to buy new tires. On top of that, my computer is heading south faster than I can fix it. Since I need the computer for school, we're gonna have to buy another one.

That severely limited the cash on hand for my amph purchase. I'm still getting an amph, but the winner isn't on the poll. I really wanted to have a shootout between the Bugera, Jet City, and the Super Champ XD (the front runners), but I'm gonna have to settle for a smaller amph. I gotta get back to playing regularly!

The winner in this 7 amph poll is option 8. I'll be ordering a Mustang I. It'll be good enough until I get enough cash to get one of the big boys. Your votes still counted, and those three are on the top o' my list when the right time comes! Thanks for the replies!
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I dont think you'll be disappointed. The Mustang I is a very fine amp in its own right. I've had it a couple of weeks and it's really re-invigorated my playing.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear, Lev. I can't wait for this little amph to get here. I ordered some picks, a cable, and some strings, too. Ordered it from AMS, via the affilliate link here at TheFret.

I'm also stoked about the FUSE software and recording. We'll see how it all turns out!
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast