Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Moore passed away - RIP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gary Moore passed away - RIP

Just heard today that Gary Moore, the guitar legend, passed away in Spain. Sad.

http://www.google.com/search?q=gary+...ed=0CEoQ5QUwBA

Gary Moore (1952 – 2011) dies in Spain
    06 Feb 2011

Hot Press has learned of the death of Gary Moore. The legendary Belfast-born guitarist died in his sleep last night, while on holiday in Spain.

One of the greatest players of his generation, Gary Moore began his professional career in his teens. He was still only sixteen years of age when he moved from Belfast to Dublin in 1969, to join Skid Row – originally a four-piece that featured Brush Shiels on bass, Nollaig Bridgeman on drums and Philip Lynott as lead vocalist, as well as Gary on lead guitar.

Soon afterwards, Philip Lynott was sidelined, with Brush and Gary sharing vocals, turning Skid Row into a power-trio of the kind that was in vogue at the time, following on the success of Rory Gallagher's Taste and the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Skid Row were signed to CBS Records and released two albums, Skid in 1970 and 34 Hours in 1971.

Adept at blues, hard rock and jazz, Moore was also a superb, lyrical, melodic guitar player and featured on a number of other Irish albums in cameo roles, including records by Dr.Strangely Strange among others. He was drafted into Thin Lizzy by Philip Lynott to replace the departing Eric Bell, before the formation of the definitive 4-piece Lizzy line-up, with Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson on twin lead guitars. However, on the Nightlife album (1974), he played the extraordinary solo on 'Still In Love With You', which became one of Thin Lizzy's most enduring tracks and a perennial live favourite. Gary returned to the Lizzy line-up briefly again, when Brian Robertson was ruled out of a US tour in 1977. Moore also featured on the Lizzy album Black Rose, released in 1979.

"He was a genius player," Hot Press editor Niall Stokes said. "Even as a teenager, he had something special about him and throughout his career he worked really hard at improving his technique. His contribution to the Irish rock canon was immense, both in his own solo work, his days with Skid Row, the great records he recorded with Philip Lynott and with Thin Lizzy and in various other cameos. My heart goes out to all of his close friends and family. It is a huge loss."

While his relationship with Lizzy lead singer and songwriter Philip Lynott was hugely competitive, and there were often disagreements between them, they remained musical cohorts, and joined forces for the hit single 'Parisienne Walkways' (1979) on which Philip sang and the later single, 'Out In The Fields' (1985), which reached No.5 in the UK charts.

While he featured along the way as part of Jon Hiseman in Colosseum II, for most of his career Gary Moore led his own band, shifting between hard rock, metal, jazz-influenced fusion music and the blues. The first Gary Moore Band LP, Grinding Stone, was released in 1973. In recent years he had returned to his roots, first with the release of Still Got The Blues in 1991 and later with Back To The Blues, in 2001. In all, he released 20 studio albums, as well as six live collections, including the Live At Montreaux DVD.

May he rest in peace

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh god, this is so sad. He was mone of my biggest influences, saw him live a couple of times!

R.I.P. Gary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

yep. huge fan. Terrible loss.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I didn't realize he was close to death. I'm sorry to see him go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I don't think he was close to death. I'd never heard about any health issues. I'm sure we'll eventually find out the cause.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I am speechless. Also one of my great influences. A sad day in Bluesland.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    "Hot Press has learned of the death of Gary Moore. The legendary Belfast-born guitarist died in his sleep last night, while on holiday in Spain."

Probably a heart attack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, what a huge loss! We sure didn't expect this.

Last edited by Tig; February 9th, 2011 at 09:32 AM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, a great player to be sure, he will be missed.

RIP, Gary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    I don't think he was close to death. I'd never heard about any health issues. I'm sure we'll eventually find out the cause.
    Ah. Well then, I guess it's a bit different. I always wonder if the deaths of people I don't follow closely are expected or sudden losses, since I'm not really in the know on their lives anyway. Regardless, it's sad that his time came. I really liked what I had heard of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I was always much more a fan of his 80s hard rock/metal music: Victims of the Future, Corridors of Power, Wild Frontier, Run for Cover.

My favorite GM tune:

Although it has a different solo than the album version, both of which are stellar.

And a killer live live version:

Post Thanks / Like

I was just watching a video of him 2 days ago..

very sad and a great loss.

Guitars: 99 Gibson ES-335,1985 Gibson Les Paul 59 Reissue,Schecter C1 Artist,Squire 51,Peavey Generation Triple/single EX,Fender Deluxe Fat Strat, Cortez Acoustic,Epiphone Acoustic.

Effects: Arion SCH-1 Chorus,Boss BD2,Bad Monkey,Boss DD3 Delay,Boss GE-7 EQ ,Arion SOD-1 overdrive,TC Electronic Nova Repeater Delay,Ibanez Tone-Lok DE7 Delay/Echo.

Amps: B52 AT-212 100watt all Tube ,FMJ SS(being restored),1=Epiphone Valve Junior Head and 2 matching Cabs, Hughes& Kettner Edition Blue 15DFX, Crate V18 112,Fender Super Champ XD,Fender 25R Frontman Series II.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my first memory of him. I just noticed he's getting a little help from Ian Paice.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty stunned by this. The world has lost a very fine guitarist. There's a good DVD of him, Gorham, Robertson and Bell in a tribute to Phil, made in Dublin a few years back. Not the greatest dvd all around, but sure showcased how powerful and graceful Gary could be. This is a very sad day.

(DVD's called One Night in Dublin -- made in 06)
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

It goes without saying that for folks like us who have a passion for music and guitar in particular that this man's catalog is somehow embedded into us. 58 is far too young to check out. How friggin' sad is this? What a talent, what a loss. Gary defined taste. He left a huge impression on me and he will be sorely missed.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

This unreal. I can't believe it! He was so healthy. I am stunned and chocked.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    This unreal. I can't believe it! He was so healthy. I am stunned and chocked.
    I'm curious if he really was healthy. In some of his current promo shots he doesn't look very good. It is shocking anyway he was just 58 yrs old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I remember as a teenager hearing Still got the Blues for the first time and the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times thats happened to me.

I also remember seeing him in concert on tv when I was a kid and he sustained a note for about a minute. I probably hadnt even started playing guitar at that stage but I remember thinking to myself "I wanna learn how to do that!"

Sad loss. RIP
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sad

Very, very sad to have lost him so soon. May God rest his soul.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast