Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The first guitar I ever played

Thread: The first guitar I ever played

Post Thanks / Like

Default The first guitar I ever played

Yep - just a youngin' - probably 8 years old. My grandfather ("Pop") taught me to play Red River Valley one afternoon. Poor guy, he was definitely patient. And even though he rarely played, learning that song sparked a love for the guitar that I still enjoy.

Pop died in 2009 and I was given his guitar - haven't done much with it. Cleaned the neck, polished the body a bit although the paint is cracking all over the place. Polished the frets and just restrung it yesterday. I was going to put it in a display case and hang it on the wall, but I figure Pop would prefer that it be played while it can.

Harmony Monterey, year unknown, archtop acoustic. I've been working on some finger picking but I think it's a bit too quiet. I'll probably work on an acoustic this weekend. Plus the tuning keys on this old guitar barely turn anymore lol! Not to mention the action is sky high and there's no truss rod in this baby.

Here's some pics:

Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

That's cool. I woke up one Christmas morning when I was about the same age and got a Sear's electric guitar. Not even sure what they called it then but I knew it wasn't the best but neither was I. Had that thing for a few years before I could prove that I was worthy of the parents spending money on another one.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Nice memories go along with that Harmony too, eh?

My 'first' had a crank and mouse ears, (think Mickey).
    Next came this Gene Autry model made by Emenee.
    Then for my 10th birthday I got a few lessons on a Stella acoustic that my folks rented for me.
    Thanks mom and dad

Post Thanks / Like

Nice stories and pics. The Harmony and Emenee are both great. Thanks for sharing those with us.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I still have the first acoustic I played. My dads no-name MIJ, that he picked up there while in the Navy. My dad brought home instruments and said that any kid that learned how to play them could have them. He had a Mel Bay guitar book, and that was all I needed.

The six-string below:

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that Harmony has history written all over it. I often wonder if those old guitars were easily playable or not. I know the modern equipment has really spoiled me. Maybe that is why nobody was shredding a long time ago.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was about 10, I got a guitar like this for my birthday that year.

This isn't the guitar I got but looks just like it. It came from Western Auto and was made in Japan by Kay, I believe. It came with a little practice amp.

I never did too much with it and when I got serious about playing I switched to bass. Funny thing is, my first bass was made by Kay also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool vintage gits, guys! That red Kay is kinda cool looking!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yea that Kay definitely needs to be in my stable
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine was a Yamaha G50 Classical guitar with nylon strings. My dad was a drummer and wanted to start learning guitar. He signed up for lessons and the guitar was part of the deal. He never went past 3 lessons but kept the guitar. It was hard to play but got me a start on pickin! My first electric was a Saturn in bright green burst. It was shaped like a fiddle bass. My wife got it for me at Eatons department store. It was horrible. I immediately went out and bought a knock off SG by a new company no one had heard of then. A Spanish sounding name, Ibanez. This was 1968. On second thought I think it was more like 1970. The Sg was one of the lawsuit copies and had a bolt on neck. I wish I still had it. I sold it and bought a Gibson SG.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.