Thread: Pickguard Trouble!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pickguard Trouble!

oh well.. I bought on Ebay an 1-ply Tele pickguard (from a 52 american vintage tele) brand new, to fit my classic series 60s tele.

took the old ugly mint green off of it, and tried the shiny new pickguard.. and to my surprise it doesn`t fit! I`m sad now..

the 52 pickguard is slightly wider than the original one, so the 2 upper screws go a bit past the original holes (the other 3 bottom ones match fine). Also, the space for the neck is a bit wider on the 52 pickguard...

That leaves me with 2 options:

-Sell it again (or trade)
    -fill the 2 upper screwholles on my tele and drill 2 new ones

I`m going back to the old mint green, though I would like to know if anyone knows which pickguard would fit perfectly a classic series tele ???
    Last edited by Iago; November 8th, 2006 at 12:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

I sent some emails yesterday. The first to answer were WDMusic from here, Florida. They told that American and Mexican Pickguards are not interchangeable, and they offer a "custom tracing" service, so they can make a copy of your pickguard, but using different materials etc..

Does anybody know if theres any company that makes a 1-ply white pickguard for mexican teles from factory? I dont want to spend time doing a tracing, then sending to them and this kind of things...

Post Thanks / Like

Problem solved! Theres a little trick I learned for that..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iago
    Problem solved! Theres a little trick I learned for that..
    And the trick is?

Pray tell!
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

You had to take off the control plate right..... I found out early on with mine.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I've found MIM and MIA picguards fit each other, or at least the 3 I've had in my experience. Same with Strats.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

yeah.. Tone is right! it took me sometime to realize that. Before doing that it seemed impossible to make the pickguard fit without making new holes o.O

pictures:

Post Thanks / Like

as you can see, theres a small empty space at the bottom of the neck pu. The pickguard also seems really warped on the upper part, but thats just a crazy shadow. The 1-ply white pickguard "cleans" and brings more of the cream color of the tele out.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy pickguard blues

[QUOTE=Iago]oh well.. I bought on Ebay an 1-ply Tele pickguard (from a 52 american vintage tele) brand new, to fit my classic series 60s tele.

took the old ugly mint green off of it, and tried the shiny new pickguard.. and to my surprise it doesn`t fit! I`m sad now..

Here's a tip. Contact terrapin Guitars in the Pacific NW. They'll make you exact fit plates and guards in any color, any ply you want. I used them for my MIM Strat for both pickguard and trem cover- they were great!
    Agile AL3000 Lefty
    Alvarez RD20L Lefty
    Blueridge BR-70 Lefty
    FenderMIM Strat Lefty
    LTD Viper400 Lefty
    Fender 50th Deluxe Lefty
    Fender MIM Telecaster Lefty
    Line6 Spider lll 75 righty
    VOX AD50VT 212 righty