Thread: Randall RG200G3 - I like it, but hate it...any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Randall RG200G3 - I like it, but hate it...any ideas?

Hey guys,
    I got this Randall RG200G3 amp like 3 maybe 4 years ago when I 1st started playing guitar. I kinda like it, like the cleans are reasonably good (probably cause its part tube and part solid state). The overdrive channels on it IMHO really suck so bad! The thing definitely doesn't sing blues or twang country with any of my guitars, and thats what I play most.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could improve the sound of it? E.g different speakers and that kind of stuff.

Or even a weirder way out idea, is there any way I could maybe convert it to a full tube amp? (I don't even know if this is possible, its just a random way out idea I had today lol)

Here's a link to the specs of it: http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod4604.htm

Thanks for your help,
    Cav
    Music Teach's You Everything School Can't!

"Guitars sing through the heart and soul alone but need you to put the feeling and passion into the music." Cavell Clearwater (GREENMACHINE)

GUITARS: Sunburst Fender VG Strat Maple Neck, Gibson Custom B.B. King Lucille, Zebra Wood Ibanez EW Series Acoustic.

PEDALS: Eric Clapton Crossroads Effects Pedal, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Boss ME-70

AMP: Randall RG200G

Post Thanks / Like

If it doesn't suit you, I'd sell it and buy something that you like better. You could swap out the speakers, but that's not going to make that much of a difference, in my experience.

You could convert it to a full tube amp, but that isn't practical. First you'd have to gut the thing and install a new all-tube circuit in it. As the amp is now, there are very few parts that you could re-use in a tube amp. You'd have to add two of the most expensive parts of a tube amp: the power and output transformers. You would definitely spend more doing this than just buying a suitable tube amp.

If you like the clean sound, maybe a good overdrive pedal?

Quote Originally Posted by GREENMACHINE View Post
    Hey guys,
    I got this Randall RG200G3 amp like 3 maybe 4 years ago when I 1st started playing guitar. I kinda like it, like the cleans are reasonably good (probably cause its part tube and part solid state). The overdrive channels on it IMHO really suck so bad! The thing definitely doesn't sing blues or twang country with any of my guitars, and thats what I play most.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could improve the sound of it? E.g different speakers and that kind of stuff.

Or even a weirder way out idea, is there any way I could maybe convert it to a full tube amp? (I don't even know if this is possible, its just a random way out idea I had today lol)

Here's a link to the specs of it: http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod4604.htm

Thanks for your help,
    Cav