Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Just Un-freakin'-believable!!

Thread: Just Un-freakin'-believable!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just Un-freakin'-believable!!

A fellow who worked in my group gave his two week notice about a month ago, but wouldn't tell me what he was going to be doing. We all thought that maybe he was going into business for himself and was still working out the details--maybe some kind of licensing deal, a franchise purchase, or the like. Apparently we were wrong. Really, REALLY wrong:

http://poststar.com/news/local/artic...cc4c03286.html
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. That's pretty cool. I've heard winning can make you miserable, but I was never sure about that; seemed like it might just be sour grapes from the non-winning ticketholders.

Have you talked to him since you found out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case the article dissapears

Wilton couple claims Powerball prize

ALBANY - A new car and a vacation.
    That's how Jeffrey and Christine Pintuff plan to spend the $16.4 million they'll receive for having the winning ticket for the multi-state Powerball lottery.
    The Pintuffs, of Wilton, are claiming their prize this morning at the Empire State Plaza in Albany, more than a month after learning they'd won.
    The ticket was purchased at the Stewart's gas station at 4208 Route 50 in Wilton for $1. The winning numbers for the Dec. 25 drawing were 1, 17, 38, 50, 52 and 24.
    Jeffrey, 58, and Christine, also 58, have been married 30 years. Both are retired, he from his job in quality assurance at Atlas in Voorheesville and she as a nurse at Saratoga Hospital. She retired from the hospital after 30 years after learning she'd won the prize.
    They've spent the past month consulting with financial advisers before agreeing to come forward and claim the prize.
    The couple chose a lump sum payment, which means they'll each receive $12.4 million. After taxes, the prize comes to $8.2 million apiece.
    The couple chose their ticket through a quick pick. Like they do with the other lottery tickets they purchase, they hung it on the refrigerator under a magnet and forgot about it until the numbers were drawn.
    They said they plan to spend their money modestly. Their children urged them to get a new car, they said, and Christine said she plans to "get away," having not been on a long vacation in years.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

It was just announced at an award ceremony in Albany an hour ago, so no, I haven't spoken to him yet. I'm sure he will be very, very busy for a while. He has a lot of friends here at work, so I'm sure he'll be checking in when he has a chance.

Here's another article I found on the web, with a few more details:

http://readme.readmedia.com/New-York...Prizes/2043771

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Does he suffer from guitar GAS too? That win might solve it.

Some do get miserable. Read this one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-recluse.html
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Does he suffer from guitar GAS too? That win might solve it.
    Actually, he's an ex-drummer, and quite a good one. Used to teach locally and played in a couple of bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Some do get miserable. Read this one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-recluse.html
    Jeff definitely won't be one of those. He's a very conservative, grounded guy, and a solid family man. Ex-military, "by the numbers" type of personality. He handled product quality certification for us, which required great organization and attention to detail, and he was the perfect guy for it.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool for him, sucks for you - ever heard of a lottery winner who actually knew another lottery winner? Me neither!

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Pedals: Too many to list - 90% of them of my own making.

Visit me on the webz: pedalbuilder.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pedalbuilder View Post
    Cool for him, sucks for you
    Not for me! Never bought a lottery ticket in my life and don't plan to start. I don't believe in government-operated gambling. It's un-American. Everybody knows that gambling should be run by organized crime, because they don't take as big of a cut of the winnings. Then again, a lot of people will tell you that "government" and "organized crime" are synonyms....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, $16.4 million sure would buy some gear!
    I bet one of us could actually top Spud's collection eventually!

I rarely play, but Mrs. Tig contributes to tickets with a few of her co-workers.

I'd be happy just to pay off the house!
    Last edited by Tig; February 13th, 2011 at 11:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this always brings up the question of what you would do if you did win the lottery. Truthfully, I don't know. Traveling and what not would be fun, but I feel like eventually the lack of purpose would be difficult to reconcile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    It was just announced at an award ceremony in Albany an hour ago, so no, I haven't spoken to him yet. I'm sure he will be very, very busy for a while. He has a lot of friends here at work, so I'm sure he'll be checking in when he has a chance.
    I really wonder if he will check in with you guys at work? All that $$$$s makes people nervous that everybody they talk to is going to hit them up for some free cash....and so maybe to avoid that from happening......they avoid people in general. Let us know how this plays out.

Man, the git-room I'd have with some of that scratch. lol

Post Thanks / Like

I figured up if I just got my hands on 2.5 million I could retire now. That's assuming the interest would cover cost of living raises. But I don't gamble either.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think any of us really "Think" they are going to win the big prize. We hope we will win, but I think it take a lot of people by surprise. We have lotteries up in Canada that are usually around 30 to 50 million dollars after a couple of weeks.
    They just get larger and larger. 3 weeks ago a group won 50 million on one ticket. That same lottery will be 30 million tonight.
    The thing about our lottery is the stated prize is what you get. The government has already taken their cut. It is paramutual betting and the only tax you pay would be on interest you made the following year.
    It is quite obvious that these people didn't think they would win when you hear the answers to the question. "What will you do with the 50 million?"
    I have heard everything from "keep on working" to "I might buy a new truck" . "pay off my mortgage" . You feel like screaming "wake up" you just won 50 freakin million dollars!
    The lottery thing has become an integral part of our lives. I am currently in two lottery pools with my hockey teams, and I preplay my numbers a month at a time. The draws are twice a week on one draw and once a week on the Max millions. Oh and when the Max millions gets to 50 million they usually have another 15 to 20 individual million dollar prize draws included.
    It is crazy.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my friend Jeff and his wife Chris at the award ceremony. That's a big check in more ways than one....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't play the lotto but his life is going to change in ways he can't even comprehend. I hope he uses it well.......as in taking care of his friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Every once in a while I might buy some kind of lottery ticket. I'd love for my wife to be able to retire ~
    I can always dream : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I figure about 600-700k (tax free) would be enough for me to retire now. Probably even less, and I'd still live like I do now or better.
    If make, say 60k a year, even if I worked for 30 more years with that income, it'd mean about a million after taxes...so, if I had 700K now I could pay off all my debt and drop on pension (which would suck) but still the net money with the winning would come to more than a million in 30 years. And considering the wife probably will come to better income than myself sometime in near(ish) future, I'd be quite OK with that income. Plus if I had all that money all at once, I could buy a few apartments and live off the rent of those much better and with lower taxation too.

I can't fathom what would I do had I 16 million in my pocket. I'd probably first pay off the debts of all my relatives and closest friends, and then rebuild the house and get a nice car or two, maybe even brand new ones for once, then put up a nice studio and live off the interest for the rest of my life. Give a few million to local charities.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I just checked. The Super Seven wasn't won last Friday (30 million). So this Friday it is 43 Million. And you get the WHOLE 43 Million up front. I think I will buy a small Caribbean country if I win!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.